What First Glider to own?

Old December 2nd 10, 08:05 PM
Sparkorama Sparkorama is offline
Junior Member

Cool What First Glider to own?

I'm getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and flying in the Boston area. I'll be putting some winter flying time in and I'm considering buying my first glider once I'm back to comfortable solos and my private license. (Naturally, I won't fly anything until I am competent and ready). Any suggestions on a first glider? Because of my price range, I realize I'll be looking at some older birds. I would say my preferences are as follows. Under 20k, easy to fly, easy to maintain and safe. Naturally, I'd like to see some decent glide performance, just thinking that some future performance would be good for keeping the plane for some time. (currently I'm considering an IS29D2 Lark)
My club has competent instructors and the following fleet (winter flying in only the 2-33):
1 Puchacz (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer, aerobatic)
3 Blanik L-23 (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer, sightseeing)
1 Blanik L-33 solo (single place, 30/1 performance; cross-country, sightseeing)
1 Schweitzer 1-34 (single place, 34/1 performance)
1 Pilatus B-4 (single place, 35/1 performance; cross-country, aerobatic)
1 Schweizer 2-33A (two place, 23/1 performance; trainer)
1 Schweizer 1-26E (single place, 23/1 performance; aerobatic)
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old December 2nd 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default What First Glider to own?

--
Sparkorama

buy the best trailer you can afford with an airworthy glider inside
it.

seriously.
Old December 2nd 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I really would not suggest the IS29D2 ....these never had a great reputation
and not many were sold and support with any of the Lark sailplanes can be an
issue today since the manufacturer really has no glider production anymore
and I suspect part will be an issue.being a metal glider part are a real
issue since you can't simply build a rib, skin bulkhead or any of the
1,000's of parts that could be specific to just this one glider. There will
just be many far better choices than this one
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 5668 (20101202) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5668 (20101202) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 2nd 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Liam

You should definitely buy a [ insert name of random older glider] -
they're cheap now, they don't give up much to the newer ships below 80
knots, and I was able to outclimb anything in mine. Some people say
their handling is twitchy or their airbrakes are ineffective or
they're prone to death spirals, but those people are just incompetent
pilots. The wings are a bit heavy to rig but that's what dolly's are
for. Some people say the cockpit is too small, but I'm seven feet
tall and I fit just fine. Make sure it comes with a decent trailer.

Old December 2nd 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Cottrell[_2_]

At 19:54 02 December 2010, Tony wrote:
On Dec 2, 1:05=A0pm, Sparkorama
wrote:
I'm getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and flying

in the
Boston area. I'll be putting some winter flying time in and

I'm
considering buying my first glider once I'm back to

comfortable solos
and my private license. (Naturally, I won't fly anything until I

am
competent and ready). Any suggestions on a first glider?

Because of my
price range, I realize I'll be looking at some older birds. I

would say
my preferences are as follows. Under 20k, easy to fly, easy

to maintain
and safe. Naturally, I'd like to see some decent glide

performance, just
thinking that some future performance would be good for

keeping the
plane for some time. =A0(currently I'm considering an

[...]

So long as it isn't a DG or sadly an LS, you might find spares
very expensive to come by (see other threads)

Old December 2nd 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 2, 11:05*am, Sparkorama
wrote:
[...]

You don't say what you want to do/what goals you have for your
soaring, but for XC, ease of rigging/derigging, a nice trailer, light
well coordinated handling and 40:1'ish performance are all good things
in my book. Ease or repair, a relatively large user base and factory
support are worth a lot.

For me: I would find a partner and look at a used standard class glass
ship ASW-24, Discus, LS4, DG-303 and get one with a Cobra trailer. For
any of these gliders automatic control connection are a big plus.

I'd rather fly a shared nice glider on half the weekends than a
"bargain" glider that costs half the amount every weekend.

Darryl
Old December 2nd 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Cottrell[_2_]

Be aware that if you buy an older DG or sadly LS you will find
maintenance very expensive due to the attitude of the present
owner of the factory. See other threads and/or DG website.

At 20:04 02 December 2010, Liam wrote:
You should definitely buy a [ insert name of random older

glider] -
they're cheap now, they don't give up much to the newer ships

below 80
knots, and I was able to outclimb anything in mine. Some

people say
their handling is twitchy or their airbrakes are ineffective or
they're prone to death spirals, but those people are just

incompetent
pilots. The wings are a bit heavy to rig but that's what dolly's

are
for. Some people say the cockpit is too small, but I'm seven

feet
tall and I fit just fine. Make sure it comes with a decent trailer.

Old December 2nd 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

wrote:
[...]

What Darrell says! If a partnership is a possibility, it would
definitely be my recommendation.

My first ship was a 19m Jantar-1, which I really enjoyed except for a
few issues:

1) The one-piece wing panels are heavy. Fellow pilots would hide
when I arrived at the field to rig! It only became a fun glider to
fly after I snagged hangar space.

2) The trailer was a British home-built piece of cr@p! A lousy
trailer will always bug you.

Mike

If it lives in the trailer, make sure you have a decent one with good
rigging aids.
Old December 2nd 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 2, 11:54*am, Tony wrote:

buy the best trailer you can afford with an airworthy glider inside
it.

seriously.

What he said. A mediocre glider with a nice trailer and good fittings
is a lot more operational than a nice glider with mediocre trailer and
fittings. All else being equal, more operational gets you farther and
faster than more performance most days of the week.

Bob K.
Old December 2nd 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Dec 2, 3:08*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Dec 2, 11:54*am, Tony wrote:

buy the best trailer you can afford with an airworthy glider inside
it.

seriously.

What he said. A mediocre glider with a nice trailer and good fittings
is a lot more operational than a nice glider with mediocre trailer and
fittings. All else being equal, more operational gets you farther and
faster than more performance most days of the week.

Bob K.

or do like i did and get a mediocre glider with a mediocre trailer!
but in my defense, it was the best i could afford.

Nine Glider Tow Wayne Paul Aviation Photos 1 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
F-16 glider [email protected] Soaring 3 January 18th 09 11:32 PM
Exporting a glider to/import a glider into Germany Pete Smith[_2_] Soaring 1 August 8th 08 09:33 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 20th 06 12:08 AM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 03:05 PM