A36 Bonanza turbo prop

Old December 27th 03, 12:48 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:44:03 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
Anyone else read the article in the new private pilot mag ( think it was
pvt pilot) that had the A36 Bonanza turbo prop modification.
They listed is as almost a half a million dollar modification.

Yep, that's where I got the engine for my Navion. I have IO-550-B Platinum
edition, prop, engine instruments, etc... everything that came off some guy's
Bonanza when it went in for the turbine mod. Nine hours since factor new.

Man, but that must be one sweet runnin' Navion.
You should have kept the 2-blade prop for effect though. Those
suckers were loud! :-))

We had a pain of Navions in USAF paint take off from 3BS last summer,
right out over the noise sensitive folks in their rich homes off the
south end of 18/36. They went right by the EAA chapter building and
darn near made the wrenches rattle in the tool box. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old December 27th 03, 01:27 AM
Frank Stutzman

Roger Halstead wrote:

We had a pain of Navions in USAF paint take off from 3BS last summer,

hmmm, I heard of a "pods" of whales, a "murder" of crows, a "bouquet" of
pheasants and even a "bale" of turtles. But thats the first tiime I've
ever heard of a "pain" of Navions. Just how many Navions are required to
have a full "pain?"

I will reserve comment on how apropo the term is ;-)

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 27th 03, 06:36 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:27:09 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

We had a pain of Navions in USAF paint take off from 3BS last summer,

hmmm, I heard of a "pods" of whales, a "murder" of crows, a "bouquet" of
pheasants and even a "bale" of turtles. But thats the first tiime I've
ever heard of a "pain" of Navions. Just how many Navions are required to
have a full "pain?"

According to the airport neighbors... Just one, or more. :-))

I will reserve comment on how apropo the term is ;-)

Being a touch typist, I must have looked at the keyboard instead of
the monitor...or I can blame it on the spell checker?
My proof reader had gone to bed at least four hours earlier so I
can't blame her.

Old December 27th 03, 05:21 PM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:18:41 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Scott Skylane wrote:
These have been around for quite a while, and they are nothing but an
exercise in compromises.

All airplanes are an exercise in compromises.

First, there is no "yellow arc" allowed on the
airspeed indicator, so redline becomes top of the green.

I know turbines don't have a yellow arc, but I never understood the
logic behind that. Vno (bottom of the yellow arc) is determined by
airframe factors -- IIRC, the ability of the wings to handle the
stresses from vertical gusts. How does taking out pistons and putting
in fan blades change how the airframe reacts to stresses?

It doesn't, turbines are just rated more conservatively. There is nothing
magic about these numbers. Vne is simply 90% of Vd (maximium demonstrated

According to Bell in "Those Incompairable Bonanzas" Vne is 80% of the
tested dive speed in the Bo, where it is 90% in almost all other
aircraft.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
dive speed), and Vno (Vmo in turbines) is simply 80%. Barry Schiff has a
discussion of V speeds in one of his books.

Mike
MU-2

This restricts you to pretty low true airspeeds at breathable
altitudes. Stay down low, go slow and burn A LOT of gas. Go up
high, go fast, and suck on a nose bag.

But oh man, think of the climb rates you must get!

Old December 27th 03, 06:03 PM
Frank Stutzman

Roger Halstead wrote:

Being a touch typist, I must have looked at the keyboard instead of
the monitor...or I can blame it on the spell checker?
My proof reader had gone to bed at least four hours earlier so I
can't blame her.

No problem, Roger. If you notice, in true usenet fashion, my gentle jab
at your typo contained a typo of its own. At least yours was mildly
amusing.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 27th 03, 10:41 PM
EDR

In article , Roger Halstead
wrote:

We had a pain of Navions in USAF paint take off from 3BS last summer,
right out over the noise sensitive folks in their rich homes off the
south end of 18/36.

L-17's
Old December 28th 03, 03:38 PM
Ron Natalie

"EDR" wrote in message ...
In article , Roger Halstead
wrote:

We had a pain of Navions in USAF paint take off from 3BS last summer,
right out over the noise sensitive folks in their rich homes off the
south end of 18/36.

L-17's

Or perhaps L-17 pretenders. There's very little difference between an actual
L-17 and a civilian Navion. You pretty much have to look up the serial number
to know.
Old December 29th 03, 12:38 AM
Mike Rapoport

wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Scott Skylane wrote:
[...]

90% of Vd is the maximium that Vne can be. Some airplanes have a Vne lower
than 90% of Vd for various reasons. In the MU-2 Vd is 345kts and Vmo is
only 250kts or 72%. It had something to due with the CAR 3 standard that it
was certified under and the fact that the early MU-2s couldn't do 250kts
indicated in level flight anyway. Even though the later models have almost
twice the power as the originals and will easily reach 250kts indicated as
high as 16,000', the 250kts Vmo was left unchanged.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 30th 03, 01:35 AM
John Galban

Jeff wrote in message ...
this is the first time I heard of them having this conversion for the A36
bonanza, seems kinda like over kill for that plane. I have seen it for other
planes before.

the article said they also had to add tip tanks for the extra gas that thing
burns

You think the Bonanza conversion is overkill? You oughta see this one :

http://sobering.terracom.net/eaa99/Turbo_Luscombe/

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old December 31st 03, 02:49 AM
Viperdoc

I had the opportunity to see the Bonanza conversion that was featured in
Plane and Pilot magazine this month-it now belongs to a friend of mine. The
plane is truly beautiful and immaculate, there are only 80 hours on the
airframe. The conversion is fully integrated with the Bonanza, as are the
wing tanks. It does not look like it was added on at all.

The workmanship is exquisite, with a very neat installation and great
attention to detail. All of the panels fit square and flush, and the paint
job is immaculate. Of course, the Jaguar leather interior and Garmin panel
with TCAD, WX-500, etc are also immaculate. The plane retains the
reliability and workmanship of a Beech aircraft, with the added horsepower
and reliability of the turbine.

For equal costs, I would definitely consider a turbine Bonanza a serious
competitor for a new B-58 Baron, particularly regarding reliability and ease
of flying in and out of short fields, along with cruise speed and
performance. I can't wait to go for a ride within the next few days and get
my hands on the controls!

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Turbo prop AT-6/SNJ? frank may Military Aviation 11 September 5th 04 02:51 PM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Early Bonanza or Apache? Brinks Owning 11 July 16th 03 06:01 PM