Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed.

Old April 24th 04, 02:35 PM
Dennis

Default Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Cirrus SR22, I seen it at Sun'n Fun (although I
have seen it before) and now I can not stop thinking about it.

I certainly can not afford to purchase one outright, but have a few people
at my local FBO that would be interested in partnering..

I would like to get others ideas in regards to if I should do a lease-back
at my local FBO, or take on 4 to 9 other partners.. I will be going to the
Rochester fly in next month (http://www.rochesterwings.com) and hope to
solidify a deal with Cirrus..

Dennis
N3868J
MyAirplane.com

Old April 24th 04, 10:31 PM
Vaughn

"Dennis" wrote in message
I'm thinking of purchasing a Cirrus SR22, I seen it at Sun'n Fun (although I
have seen it before) and now I can not stop thinking about it.
I would like to get others ideas in regards to if I should do a lease-back
at my local FBO, or take on 4 to 9 other partners..

Go with the partners, the aircraft will be better cared for and you have
much less financial uncertainty than with leaseback. Leaseback is usually a
losing deal unless your financial situation is such that you can make good use
of a huge tax write-off; even then...

Vaughn

Old April 25th 04, 02:04 AM
C J Campbell

I personally would not buy one of these airplanes until:

1) The airframe life limit of 4,030 hours is rescinded or at least tripled;
and

2) They find out why these planes are falling out of the sky with such
regularity and do something about it. If this behavior keeps up, the FAA is
likely to ground the entire fleet; and

3) Something is done about the atrocious quality control problems that
Cirrus has been having.

Old April 25th 04, 02:42 AM
Dennis

Holy crap! I guess I should have done some more research first...

I really, really, really like the performance spec's and looks of the
Currus.. My wife read your comment and now she's put off on the idea...
Gonna have to find something else now before she but the breaks on a new
plane purchase..

Dennis
N3868J
MyAirplane.com

Old April 25th 04, 03:09 AM
Dave S

Yea.. its usually a good idea to see whats going on before seriously
considering a purchase.

There have been a spate of accidents involving the aircraft (percentage
wise, since there arent as many out there). Only a few have had
successful parachute deployments. People (as in newsgroup members) have
speculated that people with more money than ability are buying this
slick, high performance plane with little experience in something
similar. Its also speculated that pilots may be engaging in riskier
behaviors (using the presence of the BRS chute as a crutch) than they
otherwise would.

The Cirrus looks nice, and it sure is fast. However, I was kinda
wondering about you not being able to afford it without being in a large
partnership. I read into it that you would be in a position to cover
about 1/4th to 1/9th of the costs - I'm hoping you took into account
hangar, annuals, INSURANCE (Insurance on such a large group tends to get
the "Club/School rate", and with the relative accident rate as high as
it is, it might be pricey for inexerienced fliers).

If you want to try something that isnt TOO old and has "decent" numbers
look at the used Grumman tigers. 140 kts on 180 hp isnt half shabby, and
it can carry a decent load (2+bags+ over 4 hours of fuel). You might be
able to get that alone, or with ONE partner, which simplifies things a lot.

Good Luck..
Dave

Old April 25th 04, 03:34 AM
Peter R.

Dennis wrote:

I would like to get others ideas in regards to if I should do a lease-back
at my local FBO, or take on 4 to 9 other partners.. I will be going to the
Rochester fly in next month (http://www.rochesterwings.com) and hope to
solidify a deal with Cirrus..

Dennis, no comment on the Cirrus, but I want to mention that I am
planning on attending the Rochester Wings event, too (barring weather,
maintenance, or health issues). See you there.

--
Peter

Old April 25th 04, 05:08 AM
Don Tuite

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:34:34 -0400, Peter R.
wrote:

Dennis wrote:

I would like to get others ideas in regards to if I should do a lease-back
at my local FBO, or take on 4 to 9 other partners.. I will be going to the
Rochester fly in next month (http://www.rochesterwings.com) and hope to
solidify a deal with Cirrus..

Dennis, no comment on the Cirrus, but I want to mention that I am
planning on attending the Rochester Wings event, too (barring weather,
maintenance, or health issues). See you there.

My $.02: First time: find an existing club/partnership. Rarely does
single ownership work -- the plane doesn't fly enough. Easier to find
an existing arrangement to buy into than to create one. You probably
won't get the exact kind of plane you think you want, but the
experience will be educational.

Don
Old April 25th 04, 06:15 AM
Dude

If you want to do a leaseback, go with a Diamond. It is the only modern
design that can come close to covering costs. The insurance on the higher
performance planes is outlandish. Also, some 141 schools are so hot to get
the G1000's they will give you a favorable deal.

On the other hand, if you have to have something incredibly fast, go with
the Lancair. It has a much better wing design, and will no doubt prove to
be a much safer plane than Cirrus. I doubt a leaseback will work with this,
so you will need partners.

Partnerships are like marriages - choose carefully, have a prenup.

Latest news on Cirrus is the problems with the Continental Engines - a COPA
member wrote me that they are seeing engines need rebuilds or major work at
only 700 hours. Something to do with the Cirrus engine controls not
allowing the pilot to manage the engine well.

Old April 25th 04, 08:54 AM
Jeff

Dennis
the SR22 is fast compared to other planes with smaller engines, but compare it
to a plane with the same 310 HP engine, I dont think you will see much speed
difference.

what other planes out there have a 310 HP engine?

Old April 25th 04, 09:29 AM
Thomas Borchert

C,

They find out why these planes are falling out of the sky with such
regularity

Well, I sure hope I never again see you complain here about
sensationalistic reporting on aviation accidents. Jeeze!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)