IS-28B2 Twin Lark - Service Life Extension Program

Old April 27th 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IS-28B2 Twin Lark - Service Life Extension Program

There will be a buletin coming out this year and this will resolve the problem.

Old April 27th 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 27, 2012 10:14:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
There will be a buletin coming out this year and this will resolve the problem.

After my discussions with Catalin P. Seems that they are moving the IAR Glider section to a factory in Craiova, where hopefully they will continue the maintenance and parts production. W
Old April 27th 12, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat McCartan

Stephan - You seem to have a pipeline into the Lark powers that be. Great!! Would you mind sharing your sources and contact information - just in case you aren't on this forum when the Service Life Extension Program is published - and the rest of us need an avenue to the "source" in order to return our ships to airworthy condition?
Old May 8th 12, 11:28 PM
galeb777 galeb777 is offline
Junior Member

Hello, and sorry for being little off topic, but I really don't know where else to ask this question about IS28B2. My club recently bought IS28B2 in very good condition and "only" 20 years old, but we cannot seem to find original Service Bulletin IS28B2 / EO-26 text (issued in 2004.). Our CAA requires this SB in order to register the glider. We would be very grateful if someone could help.
If you have this SB please contact me or just send it to:
galeb777(AT)net.hr

Thank you in advance!

p.s.
Nice to hear there is good chance for service life extension after 35 years.

Last edited by galeb777 : May 8th 12 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 23rd 12, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can anyone tell me more about the life limits and any required inspections if the glider is already certified as experimental and is older than 35 years old? Is anyone operating a IS28B2 under these circumstances?
Old August 5th 12, 03:56 PM
Lucky812 Lucky812 is offline
Junior Member

Our Lark is being grounded next month does anyone have any additional information?
Old September 5th 12, 11:31 AM
nitti nitti is offline
Junior Member

My last contact to the factrory regarding the life time extension was in 2010. Since then there was no further conversation about this issue. :-(
Our LARK have 15 years left, but I´m sure that more than 100 LARK´s are getting grounded in the next years...

Here´s a copy of the mail from them...

Dear Mr. xxx,
Please, find below the answer to your question regarding the life of IS-28B2, as follows:
1. The Service Bulletin IS-28B2 / EO-26 issued by IAR S.A. Brasov in March, 2004 states the following life limits for IS-28B2 gliders:
a. the flight hours limitation up to the first overhaul and between two overhauls is of 1,200 flight hours b. the landings limitation up to the first overhaul and between overhauls is of 7,500 landings c. the time limit between two overhauls is erased and is "on technical condition" of the glider
Within the Manuals is has been established a time life limit of 35 years provided the structure-health checkings are performed every two years for the gliders over 20 years from the manufacturing date as well as the R6 revision that has to be performed every year starting with the 9th year after the manufacturing date / the last overhaul date. This life limit can be extended by the owner of the Type Certificate, respectively S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. The structure-health check is described in the Appendix 1 to the Flight and Maintenance Manual and is conforming to the FAA AC43-4A dated July 25, 1991.
The total life limit for IS-28B2 gliders in flight hours and landings is:
- 10,000 flight hours
- 30,000 landings
S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. will start the required actions meant to extend the
total time life limit of these gliders within 2010, when the first gliders will get
to 35 years after the manufacturing date.
Thank you and we remain at your kind disposal for any further details.

My 2 Cent,
nitti
Old November 30th 12, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:56:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone tell me more about the life limits and any required inspections if the glider is already certified as experimental and is older than 35 years old? Is anyone operating a IS28B2 under these circumstances?

My recently dissolved club in Canada has two IS28B2's. 4 members purchased one and have transferred into "owner maintained" status which is similar to the US experimental category. Once an aircraft goes into this category it cannot be taken out or owned by a commercial operation. The second still has 2 years left on the life and I am hoping the issues with the 35 year extension will be resolved. I too received promising emails from the company last year but that email address no longer functions.
Old March 17th 13, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:44:11 PM UTC+1, Pat McCartan wrote:
Our club owns an I.C.A.-BRASOV IS-28B2 Twin Lark which is grounded because it has exceeded its 35 year factory maintenance program service life. About a year ago the current type certificate holder, S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A., announced it intended to submit a Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) to EASA - with follow-on submission to the FAA. We are no longer able to reach S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. by phone - and they do not respond to emails. Can anyone shed any light on the status of the SLEP or offer any contact information for S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A.? We enjoy this ship and would like to return it to service.

Hi, my name is Pete Whitehead. I own an IS29D and also two IS-28B2's ( Twin Larks) in the UK.
MY friend has just received his Service Bulletin for his IS-29D, glider serial no. specific, from the Type Cert. Holders S.C. Constructii etc. He had to pay 1150 Euro for this bit of paper, but he will be flying again soon. I have been in touch, paid my 1150 Euro , and should receive the S.B for my own IS-29D in the next 7 days. The life extension is indefinite, subject to the inspection programme etc.
We have contacts with the Type Cert. Holder. I shall be next pursuing the provision of S.B's for my two IS-28B2's.

I am willing to negotiate ( on a voluntary basis) the S.B's for all IS-28B2 owners, provided you give me the info. re Type, Serial No., Date of manufacture, and also the number and date on your Service/maintenance manual for the glider. Clearly the Type Cert Holders are going to demand money per glider but we can see what we can do. Our contact is English speaking and now answers emails quickly, so there is some hope in the situation now.

Pete Whitehead .
Old March 18th 13, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:44:02 PM UTC-5, Peter Whitehead wrote:
[...]

thats great news that the factory is actually talking. great news that the Lark's will be able to keep flying too.

IAR IS-28B2 Twin Lark Manuals Needed Markus Graeber Soaring 3 July 8th 12 10:54 AM
Lark life extension lanebush Soaring 7 March 17th 10 04:50 AM
Grob 103 Twin II Life Extension Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 2 May 18th 09 01:15 PM
Grob 103 Twin II Life Extension Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 2 May 18th 09 02:49 AM
IS-28B2 Twin Lark status Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 4 June 17th 08 03:34 PM