A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seminole-Lake Gliderport is Thriving

Old June 20th 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Seminole-Lake Gliderport is Thriving

Susan,

Thank you for your opinion. In the US we have the ability to say whatever we want within reason. As a retired Navy fighter pilot who flew in the Middle East and very actively defended our freedom of speech. Boycotting a company where the vast majority of employees and customers are glider pilots, and SSA members seems very idealistic. There are fewer and fewer commercial operators in the US. Unless you have the resources to purchase a business, I will work hard to maintain a quality center of aviation excellence just like our fellow glider operations throughout the US.

Sincerely,
Rich Owen
Old June 20th 16, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Rich-

I'm looking forward to my first time back to Seminole since I towed there in 95 for Senior Nationals. I can't decide if I want to haul my 1-35 down there, or just rent.

One way or another.. you'll be seeing me this winter. Good luck with your issues with the owner. Seems like you have some folks that are gleeful to try to tap dance on your grave. No one is getting rich running gliders. I'm looking forward to seeing the place again.

JPiper
Old June 20th 16, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU
external usenet poster

No wonder Susan was "treated so badly" when she went there, if in fact she really did go there, or is even a real person?
It is hard to keep everybody happy but this operation seems to be doing a great job according to most. I'm so sorry a few, or maybe it is just one, are giving them such a hard time. Been there, done that and it really gets old quickly.

Boggs
Old June 21st 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have had nothing but good experiences at Seminole-Lake Gliderport over the last 12 years.
For two weeks every March I fly the Senior's Contest (and pre contest practice). Both the current management and the previous management have done a wonderful job. Seminole-Lake Gliderport is a National Soaring Treasure.
The only thing on my calendar for next year is the two weeks flying at Seminole-Lake.
The only thing that I know I will be doing in 2018 is two weeks of soaring at Seminole-Lake. I won't bore you with my plans further into the future, but I think you can figure out what I plan........

DK
Don Kroesch
Old June 21st 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider RN
external usenet poster

I definitely agree with DK's comments. Have been going to Seminole Lake for the past 14 years for a month in the spring for some fun flying and to participate in the Seniors contest. For the past 10, we have taken advantage of the comfortable rooms and apartments available on the field. There have been changes in management and ownership during that period, but aside from the normal concerns when hearing about a change, things have always been as good or better. This is an outstanding place to fly and Rich Owen has done a great job since he has joined the operation. So long as he is involved, there will be continuity and there should be no concerns.

John Earlywine
RN

Old June 21st 16, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gino Cavicchioli
external usenet poster

I visited Seminol-Lake Gliderport with my wife, in
December/January & came back in late March/April.
I cannot say enough fabulous things
about the facility and stuff.
We our looking forward to our return :-)
Gino Cavicchioli
Grimsby, Ontario, Canada.
Old November 5th 16, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Was in Orlando for work this week and tagged on a finish up Commercial add on course at Seminole Lake. I couldn't have been more satisfied. Great facilities and equipment, warm, welcoming and personable staff, (Virginia has a smile a mile wide-oh by the way she is a 757/767 driver), super solid instruction (thanks Steve and Sasha!) and are 100% set up with the client in mind. When Steve wants 55 he means 55, not 56 and you can bet your ass it'll be 55 on the Checkride...I can't wait to go back and spend a few days this spring getting more comfortable being inverted! From tip to tail, first rate. If you are looking for a place for primary training, to finish up a rating, learn aerobatics, or just hang out and fly, you need to head down there.. The folks taking care of SL are passionate and know thier stuff. They are not out to milk you and they have no agenda except sharing this wonderful sport. Thanks Seminole Lake!
Old November 5th 16, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

When I googled Seminole Lake just now, this article appeared from yesterday.. Looks like the owner was finally deported from Grand Cayman. Not good news for the gliderport. Read the article below, says he was labeled as a "terrorist."

https://www.caymancompass.com/2016/1...ayman-islands/

November 2, 2016

The founder of Romania’s secret police service has been deported from the Cayman Islands after exhausting attempts to fight extradition to his homeland where he faces jail time for corruption.

He repeatedly claimed he feared persecution and torture if he was sent back to the former communist country and he sought political asylum in the Cayman Islands.Mihai Tanjala even resorted to a hunger strike while detained at Northward Prison, vowing, “I refuse to go back to Romania alive,” in a letter to the governor, made public in a recent court filing..

Immigration officials confirmed that Mr. Tanjala’s requests had been turned down and he is no longer on island, having been flown to Romania on Oct. 18, just over a year after he was taken into custody.

The entrepreneur and former politician was sentenced in 2011 to five years in prison for a fraudulent business deal. He fled Romania and has been on the run ever since, arriving in Cayman from Cuba on a visitor’s visa in September last year.

He was detained trying to enter Jamaica after authorities there noticed he was on an Interpol red list and an international warrant had been issued for his arrest.

His extradition to Romania was approved by a Cayman Islands court last December, a decision that was upheld by Justice Malcolm Swift in June. The judge ruled that there was no evidence of specific danger to Mr. Tanjala in Romania or that his conviction was unfair or politically motivated.

Court documents indicate Mr. Tanjala has since made numerous additional efforts to stay in Cayman, including a request to be classified as a refugee and be granted political asylum under the Geneva Convention.

His options appear to have run out, however, with the Sept. 23 decision of the Immigration Appeals Tribunal that the Department of Immigration was correct to deny his application.

Court documents indicate that Mr. Tanjala also made multiple appeals for assistance to the Red Cross and the governor’s office and sought to marry his ex-wife while in prison.

His lawyers lodged an appeal against the decision to refuse asylum with the Grand Court on Oct. 4 along with a second petition from his former wife alleging breaches of their human rights in connection with their failed attempt to get married in Cayman.

In a letter to the governor, Mr. Tanjala indicated he was on hunger strike, stating, “I wish my ex-wife will have a correct social status and safe financial situation if I were to die.”

Despite the new court filings, immigration officials confirmed that Mr. Tanjala had been deported, “having exhausted his appeals within the local courts as well as with the Immigration Appeals Tribunal.”

A summary of the evidence indicates that Mr. Tanjala claimed to fear revenge from people who believed he was involved with the abuses of former dictator Nicolae Ceausescu’s oppressive regime, which ended with Ceausescu’s execution after a revolution in 1989.

“Also cited were examples of the alleged perennial hatred for the applicant among the Romanian populace/authorities because of the perception that the killing of thousands of people in Romania during the revolution was perpetrated by former information officers such as the appellant, who was labeled a “securest” and “terrorist” and relentlessly pursued by criminals avenging the death of their loved ones,” the summary states.

The tribunal rejects the claim that Mr. Tanjala, who worked as a politician and businessman for many years after the revolution, was persecuted politically in Romania.

In a September letter to the governor, Mr. Tanjala again protested his innocence and raised his fear of returning to Romania and made a final plea for her to intervene.

“Morally exhausted, weary of suffering and hopeless, I decided to prevent my extradition and not be humiliated, aggressed and threatened like a criminal. To be on hunger strike until a decision will be taken or I will die.”

He calls on the governor to “go beyond procedures” and re-examine the evidence in his trial in Romania, “find my innocence and dispose my release.”

The Grand Court earlier found there was no evidence of an unfair trial in Romania and ruled that the appeals process in that country was the proper place for any re-examination of the evidence.

Mr. Tanjala’s crime was not specifically related to his political activity. It was alleged that as administrator of the company IC IGMUG SA Giurgiu, he had become aware of an offer to buy a property from another firm, Zone Libere SA.

Instead of authorizing the deal, he orchestrated the sale of the asset to a company owned by his wife for a fraction of the price. That company then made the deal with Zone Libere SA at a massive profit.
Old November 5th 16, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

http://cayman27.ky/2016/11/tanjala-returned-to-romania/

Old November 5th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

That's funny - when I google Seminole Lake - that article didn't appear in any of the hits on the first page of results.

As many have said before, Seminole Lake Gliderport is alive and well and I'll be there in about 5 weeks to once again enjoy some respite from the snow and hang out with my buddies and do some soaring in the Florida winter season.