A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OUDIE

Old September 13th 16, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

Hi
The thermal-assistant in my Oudie 2 is very helpfull when thermals are weak and
disorganize. Now my Oudie 2 is not connected to my vario. But it could.
My question is would it make a difference on the thermal-assistant if I connect
the Oudie to my smart vario?
For the purist out there I know all the other information I am not getting by
not connecting the two instrument.

Thank you
Gilles
Old September 13th 16, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

Yes, without connection it is only able to work from gps altitude and the gps chip is not accurate when circling tightly. Ideally it should be connected to an external gps source as well as a smart vario to get both vario and position data more accurately. I found it useless without external data. In the old days of Winpilot the thermal maximiser was only available in the pro version which required smart vario data.
Old September 14th 16, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 10:48:40 AM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
Yes, without connection it is only able to work from gps altitude and the gps chip is not accurate when circling tightly. Ideally it should be connected to an external gps source as well as a smart vario to get both vario and position data more accurately. I found it useless without external data. In the old days of Winpilot the thermal maximiser was only available in the pro version which required smart vario data.

"Old days"? What Old Days? I'm still flying with WinPilot Pro and 302 and do not feel handicapped vs. the newer systems. Especially the Climb Maximizer is something of a secret weapon (don't tell anyone!).
Old September 14th 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

Le mardi 13 septembre 2016 11:08:24 UTC-4, a écritÂ*:
Hi
The thermal-assistant in my Oudie 2 is very helpfull when thermals are weak and
disorganize. Now my Oudie 2 is not connected to my vario. But it could.
My question is would it make a difference on the thermal-assistant if I connect
the Oudie to my smart vario?
For the purist out there I know all the other information I am not getting by
not connecting the two instrument.

Thank you
Gilles

Thank you for the information.
Will connect the two instrument this winter.
Can you explain the data transfer that benefit the thermal asssistant.
Just to expand my knowledge on the subject

Regards
Gilles
Old September 14th 16, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 7:24:17 AM UTC-6, wrote:

"Old days"? What Old Days?

Commonly referred to as "Back in the day", "Old school", "When you were just a sparkle in your mothers eye", or for those less sophisticated, "When you were still an itch in your daddy's pants". Hope this helps.

SYM will use the GPS position from your logger and pressure altitude from your instrument. There is a partial list here http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/software-pda.htm and I believe winds and TAS can also be input to SYM from certain instruments.
Old September 14th 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:31:11 PM UTC-5, K m wrote:

Commonly referred to as "Back in the day", "Old school", "When you were just a sparkle in your mothers eye", or for those less sophisticated, "When you were still an itch in your daddy's pants". Hope this helps.

SYM will use the GPS position from your logger and pressure altitude from your instrument. There is a partial list here http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/software-pda.htm and I believe winds and TAS can also be input to SYM from certain instruments.

Now that was really helpful, KM, thanks so very much. My limited command of the English language is again very notable. As I understand it, WinPilot uses the very data you mention (from the 302) to determine immediate (vector) wind and precise position and pressure altitude for determining other parameters. SYM has nothing new over WinPilot.
Btw., at my younger age (and in my "old days") we made the vario tone with a recorder that we carried.
Old September 14th 16, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:44:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:31:11 PM UTC-5, K m wrote:

SYM will use the GPS position from your logger and pressure altitude from your instrument. There is a partial list here http://www.cumulus-soaring..com/software-pda.htm and I believe winds and TAS can also be input to SYM from certain instruments.

Now that was really helpful, KM, thanks so very much. My limited command of the English language is again very notable. As I understand it, WinPilot uses the very data you mention (from the 302) to determine immediate (vector) wind and precise position and pressure altitude for determining other parameters. SYM has nothing new over WinPilot.

Yea, Ive heard good things about the thermal assist on WinPilot. I used to like the thermal assist on SYM until I used the thermal assist on my S7. It is easily twice as accurate and displays the wind vector. Great for centering! What do you use to run WinPilot? I was on the WP site and they show the software for Iphone and Ipad but does anyone know if an Ipad (Or Mini)is sunlight readable?
Thanks
Old September 14th 16, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

It's interesting as this topic keeps on popping up.
I too keep going back to Windows version of WinPilot.
I also am very familiar with and used frequently SYM, XCSOAR but keep going back to Win Pilot which unfortunately is no longer supported.
There are more reasons than just the Thermal Assist here,although this feature is just more straight forward.
Both with SYM and XCSOAR running the Thermal Assist requires looking at the instrument, not with WP through . I can simply rely on the chime and glance at the arrow once about every turn or so if and when using this feature.
I have WP running on the now also discontinued Vertica2 PNA, something similar to the Oudie unit.
I suppose you could also run WP on an Oudie, however I'm not sure. (I know you can run XCSOAR on it but you can say goodbye to SYM than).
Than of course there is the Win Pilot IOS version whichhe keeps on changing. I never heard of anyone running it through. It would be nice to hear feedback but after the poor customer support, I guess people avoid it like the plaque.

Old September 15th 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

I'll surely offend someone here :-).

There are better solutions out there now.

I used the 302 + WinPilot combo in 2008. It worked fine. I gave up on WP when it became clear that Jerry wasn't going to fix some issues that were truly vexing and wouldn't answer email from a paying subscriber. I did miss the thermal optimizer... I never really bonded with the 302 vario by itself.

If you are allergic to anything that smacks of commercial content, go ahead and turn the page now please...

ClearNav CNv's response is such that you probably don't need a centering tool at all. It's nearly "seat of the pants" fast, but doesn't get jittery like many electronic varios do when set to small time constants. You really have to see this in action to appreciate how good it is. If you do want/like a thermal centering device, there's one built into CNvXC that works very well indeed. WP was in my opinion "the centering tool that actually worked"... and CNvXC is better still. As with WP, there are audio cues for centering.

Ask anyone that owns one (best with most recent updates).

Evan Ludeman @ CNi
Old September 15th 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default OUDIE

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 1:14:16 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
I'll surely offend someone here :-).

There are better solutions out there now.

I used the 302 + WinPilot combo in 2008. It worked fine. I gave up on WP when it became clear that Jerry wasn't going to fix some issues that were truly vexing and wouldn't answer email from a paying subscriber. I did miss the thermal optimizer... I never really bonded with the 302 vario by itself.

If you are allergic to anything that smacks of commercial content, go ahead and turn the page now please...

ClearNav CNv's response is such that you probably don't need a centering tool at all. It's nearly "seat of the pants" fast, but doesn't get jittery like many electronic varios do when set to small time constants. You really have to see this in action to appreciate how good it is. If you do want/like a thermal centering device, there's one built into CNvXC that works very well indeed. WP was in my opinion "the centering tool that actually worked"... and CNvXC is better still. As with WP, there are audio cues for centering.

Ask anyone that owns one (best with most recent updates).

Evan Ludeman @ CNi

Evan, I actually agree with my many friends and ClearNav afficionados (BB is one of them) that you have an excellent product. I sometimes get beaten by them flying the dreaded Area Task which ClearNav seems to handle beautifully, WinPilot not so much. Maybe in my next glider - but my wife thinks I'm doing just fine in the one I fly, have to land out more!
Herb