US Competition Pilot Poll and Election

Old October 28th 16, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Default US Competition Pilot Poll and Election

Guys/Gals two things.

1) All the folks participating seriously in this thread are good people. I cannot think of one glider pilot that I have met who is not a great guy and gal. They are generally incredible people in fact. The sport of gliding is full of some of the brightest and most impressive people that I have ever met. This is part of what attracts me to the sport. Generally, we all mean well. Some of us are very passionate about the sport of glider racing.. And even though I clearly strongly disagree with some of you, my disagreement with you ends there. I think most of you already know this well as many of us are having side discussions and participating in some fairly constructive, amusing email threads on this topic. This threads debate has been sharp, but also highly valuable. I see this debate as a specific, important debate about the short and long term governing philosophy regarding competition format within the SSA. Many new questions have been asked in this thread. It asks what the value of being "one" with the soaring competiton world (FAI) vs. continuing to be an isolated, independent one with the burden of maintaining its own competition infrastructure.

2) I am aware that the likelihood of anything major (or even minor) changing my way, in the current environment, is unlikely.

But I strongly that a voice for FAI competition format in the SSA is needed....

Thanks for all who have contributed from both viewpoints, or in between.

Sean

#9.....takes care of "Hats", #6...Teacher wins as you should of brought an "Apple". #1...for my friend....the "Landout Queen of Cordele".

Best. Tom. #711.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw9-xVCmLP0
Old October 29th 16, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks - I see your points. I wouldn't have thought about cheating or
influencing matters to your advantage. Guess that's why I'm not in
politics (from the Greek poli meaning "many" and ticks, i.e., blood
sucking parasites).

On 10/28/2016 12:14 PM, Papa3 wrote:
As Ron mentions, it's in the rules. But why? The CD has the potential to influence the outcome of a contest in his/her favor if he/she is competing. Here's a classic example. The CD is in first place by a small margin going into the last day. It's a weakish day, so the sort where places can shift significantly. The CD ultimately has the call as to whether to go out on task. If he/she cancels the day, the folks in contention (2nd, 3rd, etc.) will obviously have a gripe that the day was cancelled just to protect the lead.

Also, having tried flying tasks while also CDing, I'll say that as a practical matter, it's not easy. On many days, there's a lot going on in the hour or so between launch and gate opening. Checking with advisors. Keeping track of gate opening times. Checking weather radar, METARs, etc. if you are on the edge of a system. I've done it from the cockpit a couple of times, and that was admittedly a mistake. So instead you have to wait on the ground until the last task is opened, then launch and try to catch up. Not gonna work, especially on a weak day where you need the start gaggles.

P3

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 30th 16, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hope this discussion is not over, it's been a day without a post?
It's all I got 😎
Glen
Old October 30th 16, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Not much left to say W! Now we will "wait and see" what the latest round of the annual "US RC change fiesta" will come up with based on their "assessment" of their "opinion" poll. I think we all know (agree or disagree) what is coming.

Reading the comments was quite entertaining.

Also the response level to the poll seems amazingly low.

Unfortunately, very little (probably nothing) will change in regards to my points on reviving racing in SSA contests. For now they continue to hold the political advantage.

The USA (and Canada) will, for now, remain OLC NATION (literally no racing whatsoever). In fact, the US rules are more likely to move even farther away from racing in the years to come with "OLC tasks" possibly being created and introduced into actual US "contests" (and even less fake US assigned tasks). These OLC "tasks?" may even be allowed at US National championships.. Would that even be surprising at this point?

I tried to get on the US RC ballot. I fought for weeks to even get a response from our region 6 director and was forced to call other SSA officials for help. I was definitely willing to commit the time. Ultimately they circled the wagons. My efforts, along with M.Westbrook's was ultimately (curiously) "disallowed" (wink, wink) via the wisdom of our regional directors. An interesting process for sure.

Again, my simple question. "What measurable value justifies to continued maintenance of the experimental (arguably very failed) US rules vs. simply utilizing the same rule system which every other nation on planet earth which holds soaring competition uses safely, effectively and happily?"

This question has been completely ignored by the SSA leadership. They fear answering it. Regardless, It's an important, sensible question considering the reality of the international soaring competition world and the USA's contest participation struggles.

I have all the time in the world...

Let me know when you guys get the courage up to respond.

Sean
Old October 31st 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 12:34:08 PM UTC-5, Sean wrote:

I tried to get on the US RC ballot. I fought for weeks to even get a response from our region 6 director and was forced to call other SSA officials for help. I was definitely willing to commit the time. Ultimately they circled the wagons. My efforts, along with M.Westbrook's was ultimately (curiously) "disallowed" (wink, wink) via the wisdom of our regional directors.. An interesting process for sure.

Let me know when you guys get the courage up to respond.

Sean

For what it is worth, Sean, I tried very hard to get ALL people who are willing to serve on the RC to be "on the ballot". There is a change pending (see it mentioned on the website), and I asked about it. Was told it was likely going to get completed and approved so Regional Directors could submit more than one candidate for the RC spot. It did not happen, and I was only permitted to make one nomination. I made my choice based on the fact that Mike has indicated a willingness to serve on the Handicap Committee if I was only permitted one nomination for the open RC positions. Finding that people generally seem to run from office instead of for it, I took the opportunity to try and maximize the participation of people from that are willing to volunteer their time.

As to the proposed change to the RC nominating process, I am still ACTIVELY pursuing it to assure that the changes WILL be completed and approved at the Winter SSA Board meeting. Once done, directors will not have to come up with a way to decide "Who do I put forward if I have more than one volunteer?"

Steve Leonard
Region 10 SSA Director