A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Retrofit of Tost G88 CG Hook on Discus 2's - anyone out there done one?

Old October 24th 17, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Retrofit of Tost G88 CG Hook on Discus 2's - anyone out there done one?

FYI...

I'm going to retrofit a CG Tost G88 tow release into my Discus 2A and looking for others who may have had this experience. Photos of my SN 32 ship to Heinz at M&H confirm that it has the attach bolt points and cable. But, the parts/brackets necessary for the install have to be ordered from Schemmp-Hirth.

The initial cost estimate of those parts seems a bit high. Has anyone out there any experience with this retrofit? ... any photos? What do the parts look like?

Thanks...

Walt Rogers WX
Old October 24th 17, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Default Retrofit of Tost G88 CG Hook on Discus 2's - anyone out theredone one?

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
FYI...

I'm going to retrofit a CG Tost G88 tow release into my Discus 2A and looking for others who may have had this experience. Photos of my SN 32 ship to Heinz at M&H confirm that it has the attach bolt points and cable. But, the parts/brackets necessary for the install have to be ordered from Schemmp-Hirth.

The initial cost estimate of those parts seems a bit high. Has anyone out there any experience with this retrofit? ... any photos? What do the parts look like?

Thanks...

Walt Rogers WX

If it's anything like my old Discus 2 or my new Ventus 2bx, the CG attachment bracket is already installed as is the release cable. When I asked the same question about retrofitting a CG hook a year or two ago, I was told it only needed an access hole cut in the fuselage and that the CG hook bolted straight in with a simple connection to the existing release cable. I don't recall the price I was quoted, but the components are expensive.

Mike
Old October 25th 17, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 3:55:33 PM UTC-5, Mike the Strike wrote:
FYI...

Thanks...

Walt Rogers WX

If it's anything like my old Discus 2 or my new Ventus 2bx, the CG attachment bracket is already installed as is the release cable. When I asked the same question about retrofitting a CG hook a year or two ago, I was told it only needed an access hole cut in the fuselage and that the CG hook bolted straight in with a simple connection to the existing release cable. I don't recall the price I was quoted, but the components are expensive.

Mike

I heard of a Ventus 2B owner who had his glider with Fidel in moriarity to install a cg release, they discovered that the supposedly already installed components were not in fact installed when the glider was originally built..
Schempp-Hirth had no explanation. the lack of these components essentially made the cg release install way more expensive, they abandoned the effort.
This was probably an isolated event, but, justifies a borescope inspection before spending big bucks.

Good Lift,
Scott.
Old October 25th 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

Thanks Mike...

When asked if there is an installation tech note, they said "only sketches".. That's probably why info from SH is slow in getting back... and the price is high (just for the parts... don't ask what they quoted).

Walt WX

Mike

Old October 25th 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 6:58:05 PM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
FYI...

Thanks...

Walt Rogers WX

Mike

I heard of a Ventus 2B owner who had his glider with Fidel in moriarity to install a cg release, they discovered that the supposedly already installed components were not in fact installed when the glider was originally built.
Schempp-Hirth had no explanation. the lack of these components essentially made the cg release install way more expensive, they abandoned the effort..
This was probably an isolated event, but, justifies a borescope inspection before spending big bucks.

Good Lift,
Scott.

You don't need a borescope - the CG attachment (or not!) is visible under the seat pan just in front of the wheel.

Mike
Old October 26th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 1:49:42 PM UTC-5, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 6:58:05 PM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
FYI...

Thanks...

Walt Rogers WX

Mike

I heard of a Ventus 2B owner who had his glider with Fidel in moriarity to install a cg release, they discovered that the supposedly already installed components were not in fact installed when the glider was originally built.
Schempp-Hirth had no explanation. the lack of these components essentially made the cg release install way more expensive, they abandoned the effort.

Old October 29th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

UPDATE 10-27-2017 from Heinz U.S. Rep SH:

Paraphrasing ... There is a Cg hook mod for D2a... [SH] said it will include fiberglass piece to mod your seat pan slightly to cover release.( make a bump). ... ordered it no matter what as D2 is limited production now so we will have it for you; or keep it in stock. Other quote include new seat pan rough from mold that is not needed. They say.

Tost G88 tow release "without lever". Tow hook not included with kit.

Walt Rogers WX