trailer frame

Old October 30th 17, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default trailer frame

I am considering modifying my glider trailer to incorporate
an extended fuselage support frame to permit rigging on
the lines of the modern lift-top trailers.
The frame/channelling needs to be about 2m long with a
section of about 60 x 50mm with tapered sides. Has
anyone had a go at making one of these frames and where
to obtain the parts? Is the chanelling in aluminium or some
other metal mix and are there any designs available?

Old October 30th 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:30:05 AM UTC-4, Colin Roney wrote:
I am considering modifying my glider trailer to incorporate
an extended fuselage support frame to permit rigging on
the lines of the modern lift-top trailers.
The frame/channelling needs to be about 2m long with a
section of about 60 x 50mm with tapered sides. Has
anyone had a go at making one of these frames and where
to obtain the parts? Is the chanelling in aluminium or some
other metal mix and are there any designs available?

I constructed one of fabricated aluminum and found it to be less than satisfactory.
Having had a trailer that had a track/frame like you describe I would suggest the following:
Steel channel tracks about 50mm wide with depth of sides of about 25 mm. Wall thickness 3-4mm. In the US these could be produce from 2 pieces of 1 inch steel angle having 1/8 inch wall thickness and welded into a channel configuration. Cross members would be same wall thickness and larger section.
Good luck
UH
Old October 30th 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another thing to consider is the trailer CG, your mod will add weight to the aft end. When fitting out the trailer for my Albatross, I cut down an old 601 trailer by removing about 6' off the end. That made the tongue weight more than I could lift, so I added 50# of lead to the aft end.............that made the trailer sway side to side so bad that I was forced to remove the lead weight and get 2 people to lift the tongue! Recommend against adding any aft modifications.
JJ
Old October 30th 17, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Ditto what JJ said. There was a syndicate that owned a PW5 at my field years ago. Their trailer was a square section with a huge cradle that rolled out the back with the glider. It probably weighed 3,000 pounds... for a PW5. Made handling a nightmare.

We have a number of 1st/2nd generation glass ships on the field with older tube trailers (ASW-19, Libelle, etc.). Spending some time on optimizing the fuselage dolly as it rolls out the back gate and especially the wing root dollies (stability in particular) is probably a way easier path to better rigging. JMHO.

Erik Mann (P3)

Old October 30th 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 11:51:33 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
Ditto what JJ said. There was a syndicate that owned a PW5 at my field years ago. Their trailer was a square section with a huge cradle that rolled out the back with the glider. It probably weighed 3,000 pounds... for a PW5. Made handling a nightmare.

We have a number of 1st/2nd generation glass ships on the field with older tube trailers (ASW-19, Libelle, etc.). Spending some time on optimizing the fuselage dolly as it rolls out the back gate and especially the wing root dollies (stability in particular) is probably a way easier path to better rigging. JMHO.

Erik Mann (P3)

I agree. I made the rash assumption that the trailer does not have a fold down door. If it has one, make that work. Weight in back is never an improvement.
UH

2-32 Canopy Frame olddogcirrus Soaring 3 March 6th 12 05:25 PM
old wing frame? mitcheroo Piloting 0 September 17th 07 04:06 AM
Frame Rates Jim Kamp Simulators 10 August 7th 05 09:03 PM
Frame Rate Dave Schwartz Simulators 1 January 18th 04 06:02 PM
4130 frame? Steve Thomas Home Built 23 August 27th 03 05:50 PM