S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internalsensors) or TE Probe?

Old August 11th 18, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Thirkill[_2_]

Default S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internalsensors) or TE Probe?

S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internal sensors) or TE Probe?

Thoughts? Preferences? Problems associated with one over the other?
Thanks!
Old August 11th 18, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have used the S80 for 4-5 years. I installed it as soon as it was released.

I like completely redundant systems.
I have my Winter vario on the total energy system with flask.
I have the S80 on electronic compensation. Works perfectly.
It took some minor fine tuning of the compensation to get the two varios to display essentially the same information at the same time.
I fly off of the S80.
My battery died on one long cold flight and it was wonderful to have the mechanical vario system as an independent and dependable system.
Old August 11th 18, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

I just flew with an S8 set up for electronic compensation. I was very happy with it and it seemed to improve the winter vario that was then left as the only vario on the TE line.

Do follow the manual for configuration, it recommends that the pitot and static have the same length of tubing. It is best to have a dual port in the vertical with both ports. I decided to try the electronic compensation after the pilot flying PL, the ASG 29 in Poland, recommended it. You can see how PL (also flown as PC) has done in the 15M and 18M classes at the WGC this summer.

One caution, if you use the static ports on the boom for electronic compensation, dumping water will cause great errors until the static ports dry out..
Old August 13th 18, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wanted to use my S80 in Electronic TE mode but it said the Static and pitot has to be co-located? I have a Pegase with one set of static ports on the front side and another set on the boom which are not used.

Can I change it to Electronic TE?

WH
Old August 13th 18, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

With state of the art variometers, electronic compensation usually only works with a multi- (pitot/static) or triple-probe (TE/pitot/static). If your glider does not have such equipment, you need to use a TE probe.

Older varios with slower pressure sensors were less complicated in that respect.
Old August 13th 18, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My LS-8 was set-up the same way from the factory. The front static ports are for the flight instruments.
I used the boom statics for my S80.
They work very well.
There was a comment about dumping ballast and that water messing with the boom static ports. My boom static port system has four static port holes around the circumference of the boom. When I dump water I see no alteration in the display of the S80. I would imagine that is because the water does not wet all of the static ports.
I have not gone to the trouble of equalizing the tubing lengths of the static and pitot systems. I will do that by just coiling the excess pitot tubing behind the panel.

Old August 13th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:34:45 PM UTC-6, Dan Thirkill wrote:
S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internal sensors) or TE Probe?

Thoughts? Preferences? Problems associated with one over the other?
Thanks!

Dan,
If you have a reliable TE system that would probably be the way to go. One nice advantage of Electronic Compensation is the ability to adjust it in flight on the S-80.
Kirk
Old August 13th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 10:03:30 AM UTC-4, wrote:
My LS-8 was set-up the same way from the factory. The front static ports are for the flight instruments.
I used the boom statics for my S80.
They work very well.
There was a comment about dumping ballast and that water messing with the boom static ports. My boom static port system has four static port holes around the circumference of the boom. When I dump water I see no alteration in the display of the S80. I would imagine that is because the water does not wet all of the static ports.
I have not gone to the trouble of equalizing the tubing lengths of the static and pitot systems. I will do that by just coiling the excess pitot tubing behind the panel.

That sound like what I have - and I fly in the east, so we almost never use water ...

I will try using the boom ports - the co location as a prerequisite stopped me from trying.

WH