Tinted canopies

Old September 17th 18, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Tinted canopies

Ben Hirashima wrote on 9/15/2018 11:00 PM:
Does anyone wear sunglasses with a tinted canopy? I wear prescription sunglasses while flying, and while the idea of a tinted canopy appeals to me, the thought of having to switch to regular glasses when getting in the cockpit is a bit of a turn-off.

I have a pair of prescription glasses with tinted clip-ons that I leave in the
glider in a safe place that I can reach while flying. Just before getting in, I
put "dedicated" pair on and put the "walk-around" glasses form in that safe place.

My other glider has a tinted canopy, and I find my photochromic glasses are good
match the canopy - dark outside the glider, and enough lighter while inside the
glider.

Old September 17th 18, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kenward1000

My LAK-12 has had a tinted canopy for 10 years and I love it. It was
custom blown instead of being factory molded, resulting in excellent
optics. Can fly w/o sunglasses and keeps the cockpit cooler.

Note: when circling in thermal with other pilots, they report that they
can't see into my canopy, to see if I'm looking at them. To them it's like
trying to see inside the windows of a tinted glass automobile. I open the sliding vent and wave.

K6 cr Canopies Rob Shepherd Soaring 1 April 4th 11 07:21 PM
Tinted canopies desirable? Itsaplane[_2_] Soaring 15 August 11th 09 01:45 PM
micro mesh on canopies BB Soaring 9 November 14th 07 12:24 AM
Grob 103 Canopies Terry Healy Soaring 0 January 15th 04 04:29 PM
Who makes Canopies? spektr Home Built 7 August 5th 03 02:04 PM