Peltor Headset Experience

Old May 28th 04, 02:26 PM
Mark T. Mueller

Default Peltor Headset Experience

Last summer I purchased two Peltor ProGT ANR headsets at OSH after trying
many models.

I have to admit, both passive and active noise cancellation are excellent. I
was amazed at the performance in the loud and crowded hall. BUT, I did find
a problem with evaluating headset performance solely in a "listening booth".
You get NO feel for durability.

After flying with them over the months, battery life is abyssmal. Only 3 - 6
hours on one 9V, tops. 9V are considerably more expensive than AAs. I tried
rechargeable 9V, but on my last trip they drained so fast I had to run to a
drug store during a stop to by more Duracells.

Also, the ear seals are literally falling off the earcups. They are press
fit, but no longer remain engaged in the ear cup. I do not abuse these
headsets at all.

Peltor advertises a "LIFETIME WARRANTY" on these products, and at OSH the
reps assured me of continued product support. I did notice Peltor has been
bought out recently. When I contacted Peltor, they just passed the buck to
the distributor. So now I am totally screwed having spent big $$$ on these
headsets I have to return to the distributor without any guarantee they will
be returned in good order, or the flaws such as battery life can even be
fixed, and without headsets for a while!!!

After reading the reviews of Lightspeed's customer service, I can only watch
in amazement at Peltor. I have used Peltor products for years on shooting
ranges, and they always were of decent quality. Now I am stuck...

If you are surveying the headset market for a future purchase, I can say for
a fact the Peltor products do not hold up well to routine use. Look at
another product with better Customer Service.

Mark

Old May 28th 04, 11:20 PM
Stan Gosnell

"Mark T. Mueller"
wrote in news
I have to admit, both passive and active noise cancellation
are excellent. I was amazed at the performance in the loud
and crowded hall. BUT, I did find a problem with evaluating
headset performance solely in a "listening booth". You get
NO feel for durability.

If you want durability and customer service, David Clark is
unbeatable. They last forever, and if they don't, DC will fix
or replace it. I wouldn't buy anything else. YMMV.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old May 28th 04, 11:39 PM
HECTOP

"Stan Gosnell" me@work wrote in message
If you want durability and customer service, David Clark is
unbeatable. They last forever, and if they don't, DC will fix

and if you want cheap and efficient, get AC-200 from AvComm for under $100
(cheaper on Ebay)
http://www.acespilotshop.com/pilot-s...00-headset.htm

then ANR add-on from Headsets, Etc for $170 http://www.headsetsinc.com/

and for the price of DC H10-13.4 you get a full no-frills ANR headset

I've been using both DC and AvComm for about 3 years and can't tell the
difference.

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 29th 04, 12:19 AM
Mark Kolber

Interesting experience. I've had my Peltor 2004 for about 10 years
now. Upgraded to ANR with an add-on kit about 2 years ago and like
them even more.

Mark Kolber
APA/Denver, Colorado
www.midlifeflight.com
======================
email? Remove ".no.spam"
Old May 29th 04, 03:38 PM
Mark T. Mueller

The ProGT ANR was a new model for Peltor. The add-on ANR kits were not
Peltor, nor did Peltor endorse them.

Unfortunately, Peltor's new design leaves much to be desired.

I am going to send them back to Peltor service, and see what happens, but
the distributor told me they average 10 - 14 business days for turnaround.

Old May 30th 04, 04:19 AM
Dave S

Using the telex brand, I have had a 9v last atleast 20-30 hours so
far... I never really measured batt life on the headsets inc brand
because i rigged it and put the batt int he ear cup and keep leaving the
switch on.. when its unused..

Dave

Old May 30th 04, 10:15 PM
Paul Sengupta

"HECTOP" wrote in message

"Stan Gosnell" me@work wrote in message
If you want durability and customer service, David Clark is
unbeatable. They last forever, and if they don't, DC will fix

and if you want cheap and efficient, get AC-200 from AvComm for under $100
(cheaper on Ebay)

http://www.acespilotshop.com/pilot-s...00-headset.htm

then ANR add-on from Headsets, Etc for $170 http://www.headsetsinc.com/

and for the price of DC H10-13.4 you get a full no-frills ANR headset

I've been using both DC and AvComm for about 3 years and can't tell the
difference.

Or you could get a Flightcom Classic ANR for about $320 if I remember
correctly (off-line at the moment) from Gulf Coast Avionics.

Paul

Old June 6th 04, 07:40 PM
A Guy

In article ,
"Mark T. Mueller" wrote:

[snip]

If you are surveying the headset market for a future purchase, I can say for
a fact the Peltor products do not hold up well to routine use. Look at
another product with better Customer Service.

A friend of mine uses the BOSE headset, and recommended that I get it.
I did, but then stopped flying. After 7 years, he still has/uses his
BOSE - and BOSE is still around, still available. Actually, the
microphone is quite responsive - an unexpected treat from a speaker
company... :-)

Mine is forsale, BTW, on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2481163204

Best,