More political BS .... Thanks CNN

Old October 13th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

Default More political BS .... Thanks CNN

CNN is responsible for what politicians say?

You have got to be kidding me...

Actually, what CNN did last night was take a Cirrus up and recreate the
flight including trying to make the turn...the difference is, CNN did it
at 2000 feet, which is what sane pilots would do, such that they didn't
tangle their prop in anybody's furniture. I thought that was pretty cool
of them.

The max altitude through the VFR airway is 1100 ft. Kinda difficult to do
2000ft if the maximum allowed VFR is 1100 ft.

Of course, less than 1100 ft is not safe by my standards...

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Old October 13th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

"gatt" wrote:
wrote in message
The media is to blame for their own stupidity.

Then why quote what politicians say as if the media said it? Why not
actually quote what the media said?

In general, the media (especially CNN by the way) holds GA in a bad light
in case you have not noticed.

You missed the point of the entire post.

Then you didn't make it. You said "More political BS" and then thanked
CNN for what politicians said, and then said, oh, sorry, MSNBCWhatever,
and then said the media is to blame.

If there's a point, could you restate it more precisely?

The CNN/MSNBC was a typo... You know... a mistake... Though by reading the
article it sure stinks of CNN...

Here's the point...

When there is a GA accident, the media crawls all over looking for the most
ignorant person they can find and give them the spotlight. Again, it is
obvious with this latest accident. To compound the blatent disregard of
journalistic responsibility of the media, they hand the mic over to the
politicians to spew their re-election garbage... Yada Yada Yada more GA
regulations blah blah blah... The media gives the politicians the forum by
which to exploit a tragic situation. It is disgusting.

Old October 13th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

Actually, what CNN did last night was take a Cirrus up and recreate the
flight including trying to make the turn...the difference is, CNN did it
at 2000 feet, which is what sane pilots would do, such that they didn't
tangle their prop in anybody's furniture. I thought that was pretty cool
of them.

For CNN to do that is certainly not typical. One would expect the story to
go something like this:

"We were going to take this plane through the same area of the accident,
but GA is much to dangerous for us to do that. Instead we thought we would
re-enact through this sophisticated flight training software."

Insert picture of MS Flight Sim Here

Show Flight at excessive speed in a high G turn in narrow passage here

------

If they did infact fly through at 2kft on a GA aircraft, I commend them
because it is certainly not what one is accustomed to seeing from CNN.

Old October 13th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

wrote in message

Then why quote what politicians say as if the media said it? Why not
actually quote what the media said?

In general, the media (especially CNN by the way) holds GA in a bad light
in case you have not noticed.

My question remains. Why did you quote politicians if your target is the
media?

The CNN/MSNBC was a typo... You know... a mistake... Though by reading
the
article it sure stinks of CNN...

In other words, you make mistakes too. You're still saying CNN/MSNBC but
quoting politicians instead of, oh, say, CNN or MSNBC.

When there is a GA accident, the media crawls all over looking for the
most ignorant person they can find and give them the spotlight.

No, they really don't. This smacks of black helicopter conspiracy theory
and unfounded generalization. Show me a single directive where any news
source ever has said "go find the most ignorant person they can find."

What I'll do is, in the meantime, refer to CNN flying an Actual Cirrus along
the Actual Course last night which, by the way, I suspect you yourself have
not done.

To compound the blatent disregard of journalistic responsibility of the
media, they hand the mic over to the
politicians to spew their re-election garbage...

Please describe and cite this alleged journalistic "responsibility."

-c

Old October 13th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...
gatt wrote:
I thought that was pretty cool of them.

That's because I'm sure it was quite easy for them to do. G

A CNN reporter, Miles O'Brien, owns his own SR20.

Oh, he must be part of the vast anti-GA media conspiracy then.
Y'know..."finding the most ignorant person" to comment and all of that.

-c

Old October 13th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

wrote in message

The max altitude through the VFR airway is 1100 ft. Kinda difficult to do
2000ft if the maximum allowed VFR is 1100 ft.

Of course, less than 1100 ft is not safe by my standards...

They shouldn't do it then.

Safety should not be regulated. If you can't fly your friggin' airplane
without augering into the side of an apartment building, you shouldn't be
flying your airplane around apartment buildings.

Otherwise, the FAA is gonna figure they need to make a law because pilots
can't control themselves.

-c

Old October 13th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

My question remains. Why did you quote politicians if your target is the
media?

I quoted the article from MSNBC.... VERBTIM.

In other words, you make mistakes too. You're still saying CNN/MSNBC but
quoting politicians instead of, oh, say, CNN or MSNBC.

I never claimed I do not make mistakes.

When there is a GA accident, the media crawls all over looking for the
most ignorant person they can find and give them the spotlight.

No, they really don't. This smacks of black helicopter conspiracy theory
and unfounded generalization. Show me a single directive where any news
source ever has said "go find the most ignorant person they can find."

You have got to be kidding me... shaking head

What I'll do is, in the meantime, refer to CNN flying an Actual Cirrus
along the Actual Course last night which, by the way, I suspect you
yourself have not done.

Nope. It's on the other side of the country from me.

To compound the blatent disregard of journalistic responsibility of the
media, they hand the mic over to the
politicians to spew their re-election garbage...

Please describe and cite this alleged journalistic "responsibility."

There are many sources available that will describe this. Try a google
search and see for yourself...

Old October 13th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message
New York crash prompts calls for airspace restrictions...

Here's the link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15247117/from/RS.3/

New York's Republican governor, George Pataki, also said the Federal
Aviation Administration "needs to take a much tougher line" about private,
or general aviation, flights over the city.

FAA spokeswoman Laura J. Brown said Thursday the agency has decided to
review those guidelines and flight restrictions.

Lets see, a big airliner hits a building (for whatever reason) and thousands
die.

A small airplane hits a building (for whatever reason), and the occupants of
the airplane die.

Who should be restricted from flying over the city?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old October 13th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

gatt writes:

Safety should not be regulated. If you can't fly your friggin' airplane
without augering into the side of an apartment building, you shouldn't be
flying your airplane around apartment buildings.

As a pilot-in-command, you're legally permitted to do anything
necessary to ensure the safety of your aircraft and the people aboard
(keeping the safety of others in mind as well, of course), and this
includes ignoring regulations if necessary. However, you have a lot
of explaining to do later on if you break the rules, in some cases.

While you're PIC, then, you're master and commander, subject to a
possible review of your good judgement after you land, if you decide
to break the rules in the name of safety in your own sovereign
estimation.

This is important because you can conceivably do anything if you can
show that safety required it at the time. In this particular, case,
though, as in most cases where regulations are potentially violated,
the safety argument might not work (you can do what you need to remain
safe, but that won't justify carelessly putting yourself in danger in
the first place, when it comes time to review what you did).

Old October 13th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

wrote in message

When there is a GA accident, the media crawls all over looking for the
most ignorant person they can find and give them the spotlight.

No, they really don't. This smacks of black helicopter conspiracy theory
and unfounded generalization. Show me a single directive where any news
source ever has said "go find the most ignorant person they can find."

You have got to be kidding me... shaking head

No, I assure you I mean it. Show me a single directive where any news
source have ever sent a reporter to "find the most ignorant person--"

Hey...waitaminnit...you just said you don't even WATCH THE NEWS.

Please describe and cite this alleged journalistic "responsibility."

There are many sources available that will describe this. Try a google
search and see for yourself...

I have a degree in journalism and a I'm a former magazine and radio news
editor. Be that as it may, I will never be required to back your claims up
for you. In the real world, we do our own homework.

-c