Hero emulation

Old February 20th 18, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Hero emulation

I stumbled across a young 150 hour glider pilot online, who had recently seen a low pass on a Grand Prix video. He thought 'that was neat', and so he decided to 'try that at home' on his own. He landed cleanly on his first attempt.
Old February 20th 18, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 2:07:16 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I stumbled across a young 150 hour glider pilot online, who had recently seen a low pass on a Grand Prix video. He thought 'that was neat', and so he decided to 'try that at home' on his own. He landed cleanly on his first attempt.

Define "cleanly"... I imagine that it may possibly be "dirtily" as well.
Old February 20th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 11:26:22 PM UTC+3, Dan Daly wrote:
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 2:07:16 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I stumbled across a young 150 hour glider pilot online, who had recently seen a low pass on a Grand Prix video. He thought 'that was neat', and so he decided to 'try that at home' on his own. He landed cleanly on his first attempt.

Define "cleanly"... I imagine that it may possibly be "dirtily" as well.

I would imagine most people are self taught. How many organisations put "How to execute competition finishes" in their dual training syllabus?

They perhaps *should*.

Fortunately it's not that hard to do provided you do the pull up before the speed has decayed too much. Anyone trained on winch should be able to figure it out, and those with a ridge nearby can practice pull-ups and reversal turns to circuit speed there safely.
Old February 20th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 3:26:22 PM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:

Define "cleanly"... I imagine that it may possibly be "dirtily" as well.

Clean as in, "he remembered to put the gear down".

Old February 20th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

As I was told by a rather wise instructor (who is on here a fair amount)...... "you will never beat the lowest finish, at best, you will tie it......".

He learned quite a bit from Steve Bennis, among the pioneers of "modern soaring", airport owner where I flew, the DE for my private and commercial glider check rides, probably found a lot of ways to break gliders over the decades, tried to make sure none of us tried to replicate his misfortunes.
Yes, he is in the SSA HoF.

While he was sorta crusty, I do miss him and was glad to know him.
Old February 21st 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 2:07:16 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I stumbled across a young 150 hour glider pilot online, who had recently seen a low pass on a Grand Prix video. He thought 'that was neat', and so he decided to 'try that at home' on his own. He landed cleanly on his first attempt.

Seems it's same people who don't trust teenagers to practice abstinence humping, expect new pilots to practice abstinence humping the earth. Temptation is temptation. Sex ed is taught in school, past time we teach student pilots how to fly safe and low.
Old February 21st 18, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 7:55:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 2:07:16 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I stumbled across a young 150 hour glider pilot online, who had recently seen a low pass on a Grand Prix video. He thought 'that was neat', and so he decided to 'try that at home' on his own. He landed cleanly on his first attempt.

I hope he remembered to say "Wahoo!!" as he opened the canopy. That's the best part.

Old February 21st 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Clean as in "he didn't kill himself (or anybody else)"?
Old February 21st 18, 06:26 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hoult View Post
[...]

It's part of the available training syllabus in New Zealand

http://gliding.co.nz/wp-content/uplo...MOAP-AL-26.pdf

Appendix 2-I Final Glides pg 103

:-) Colin
Old February 21st 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 7:55:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
...past time we teach student pilots how to fly safe and low.

Agreed. In USA we manage to kill a pilot every few years with untrained
imitation (Uvalde, Wurtsboro, etc).

A while back I talked to Scott Manley about doing video showing the
ways people usually die (slow speed and or button-hook).
Scott started but sorry I don't know if this was ever completed?

Zero to Hero in one flight Tony[_5_] Soaring 5 June 18th 10 09:50 PM
The Un-Sung Hero of Parawan [email protected] Soaring 7 July 17th 07 05:45 PM
a hero passes Ray O'Hara[_2_] Aviation Photos 21 May 7th 07 11:31 AM
Piggyback Hero No Name Aviation Photos 6 January 31st 07 03:52 AM
the passing of a hero Ray O'Hara Aviation Photos 1 December 3rd 06 08:57 AM