Question about epoxy resin chemistry..

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 8th 04, 11:53 AM
Chris

Default Question about epoxy resin chemistry..

Hello everyone.

I am attempting to find a suitable epoxy resin in SE Asia (Thailand
specifically) for building a composite airplane.

It doesn't appear that any recognized brands are sold here, however
there are factories that produce epoxy of all kinds.

However, in order to get the correct epoxy I need to know what to ask
for. Specifically, my research on the web has led me to conclude that
most aviation/aerospace epoxies are Bisphenol-A based resins with an
amine based hardener? Is this correct or have I interpreted the data
incorrectly?

What I am looking for is a very high strength hardner that performs
well in humid climates and is oven cured at about 120C/250F. I also
need good viscosity for long periods at room temperature.

Additionally, I need a room temperature curing epoxy that can cure
much quicker but gives me similar strength.

As I understand the technology, the resin really isn't that important
in the overall equation. Any bisphenol-A resin will generally work.
But the choice of hardner is crucial. Can someone help me understand
the chemistry here? Should I be looking at an amine based hardner, and
if so, which type?

Aromatic Amines
Aliphatic Amines
Cycloaliphatic Amines
Boron-Hydride Amines
etc.

Then there are "modified" versions of each of these, and they also
make and sell blends.

There are other types of hardners as well, and I don't understand
those either.

Can anyone tell me what a "normal" aviation grade expoxy resin
consists of? What about resources that will help me to understand this
so I can make an informed choice.

Thanks for any information.

Chris

Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM
Vacuum Baggin vs. Resin Infusion Steve Home Built 0 August 21st 03 05:25 AM
Fiberglass Vacuum Bagging Technique...Resin Infusion Steve Home Built 5 August 8th 03 06:10 PM
question: differences between epoxy layup and plaster Morgans Home Built 3 August 6th 03 04:46 AM