Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question

Old October 30th 03, 04:06 AM
jlauer

Default Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question

Wondering if you have someone could provide an answer to an engine
installation question. I have a hovercraft that uses a Tecumseh LEV
80-120 5.5 hp engine for the lifting propeller.

The question is weather the engine can be mounted with the
piston/spark plug facing down (incline is at 22 degress down angle
from level) without messing up the engine during operation?

I am concerned that the engine might not get enough lubrication tilted
down at 22 degress during its operation?

Thanks
Old October 30th 03, 04:18 AM
Larry Smith

"jlauer" wrote in message
om...
Wondering if you have someone could provide an answer to an engine
installation question. I have a hovercraft that uses a Tecumseh LEV
80-120 5.5 hp engine for the lifting propeller.

The question is weather the engine can be mounted with the
piston/spark plug facing down (incline is at 22 degress down angle
from level) without messing up the engine during operation?

I am concerned that the engine might not get enough lubrication tilted
down at 22 degress during its operation?

Thanks

All the Tecumsehs I've seen have positive pressure oil pumps. Tilting 22
degrees shouldn't be a problem. They sure do get tilted in normal service.

Old October 30th 03, 02:25 PM
Jerry Wass

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html

pLarry Smith wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITE"jlauer" wrote in message
bra ogle.com"news:d8547a52.0310291906.3e503c3a@postin g.google.com/a...
br Wondering if you have someone could provide an answer to an engine
br installation question.  I have a hovercraft that uses a Tecumseh
LEV
br 80-120 5.5 hp engine for the lifting propeller.
br
br The question is weather the engine can be mounted with the
br piston/spark plug facing down (incline is at 22 degress down angle
br from level) without messing up the engine during operation?
br
br I am concerned that the engine might not get enough lubrication tilted
br down at 22 degress during its operation?
br
br Thanks
pAll the Tecumsehs I've seen have positive pressure oil pumps.
Tilting 22
brdegrees shouldn't be a problem.   They sure do get tilted
in normal service./blockquote
All depends on what he means by 22 deg. down----( from horizontal)---
brRotating the crankcase 22deg from normal would be ok----bur rotating
the
brengine 90deg + 22deg would NOT!!
br /html

Old October 30th 03, 03:09 PM
John Stricker

22° down at the spark plug is quite a bit. Contrary to what Smith thinks,
the LEV doesn't have an oil pump, it's a simple vertical shaft motor. But I
haven't seen him be right about too much on here yet, so that's not too
surprising.

You're probably going to run into problems with oil getting by the rings
when the engine isn't running and putting enough into the cylinder to
potentially hydraulically lock it, not unlike the old aircraft radial
engines with their bottom cylinders.

Is there any way you can turn it so that it's got the engine mounted with
the plug UP 22°? If you can't do that, you're most likely going to run into
problems of oil in the cylinders when at rest and higher than normal oil
consumption when running because the oil's going to want to keep running
back down on into the cylinder, most likely more than the oil rings will be
able to control.

For those unfamiliar with the engine he's talking about, here it is.
http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/.../lev100115120/

If you have one of these, you know the oil level plug is just about at the
point where the bottom cover separates from the block. You can see that
parting line in the link I posted. Not take a ruler or something and set it
at about 22° angle. You're going to HAVE to have enough oil in it to cover
the bearing on the bottom side, that's a necessity. So allow about 1/8" of
oil over it, should be a little more, and see where the oil level ends up.
The vast majority of it will end up IN the cylinder under the piston. This
is not a good thing.

Any particular reason you want to use a Tecumseh? I've had many different
variations of them over the years and haven't been impressed with any of
them. I can't say they're any worse than a Briggs, but they're certainly no
better and WAY lower quality than a Honda, amongst others.

John Stricker

om...

Old November 4th 03, 02:18 PM
Model Flyer

"John Stricker" wrote in message
22° down at the spark plug is quite a bit. Contrary to what Smith

thinks,
the LEV doesn't have an oil pump, it's a simple vertical shaft

motor. But I

Odd, I've stripped many of that series of engines and they had oil
pumps, this allowed them to be used with the shaft more than 15º from
vertical, the restriction on running B&S engines in simmilar
deployments. The pump is driven by the camshaft and uses ports in the
camshaft a valves for the pump and a drill hole to the top of the
case to feed the top main and big end. The limitation from the
virtical is around 25º.

I doubt that it would be any good for direct drive as there is
nothing to take the thrust from his fan.
--

..
--

http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/...ecs/lev1001151
[...]

om...

Old November 14th 03, 02:56 PM
Larry Smith

.
--
Cheers,
Jonathan Lowe
whatever at antispam dot net
No email address given because of spam.
Antispam trap in place

Ol' Stickler may not be as bright as he thinks he is:

Tecumseh 5 HP Engine, Model# LEV115-350041D

Tecumseh Remote control mechanical compression release Recoil start; solid
state ignition Mechanical governor; oil pump; float carburetor 7/8in. x 3
5/32in. shaft; 3/16in. keyway; 3/8in.-24 tapped end Model LEV115-350041D
U.S.A.