IFR Checkride Scheduled

Old March 31st 04, 04:33 PM
Jon Kraus

Default IFR Checkride Scheduled

I have my IFR checkride scheduled for April 21st... To make it even more
exciting my CFII talked me into taking my ride with a DE that is getting
his certification for giving instrument checkrides... So not only will
he be there but a representative from the FAA will be riding along
critiquing him... Has anyone else had any checkride experiences along
these lines? Or, can anyone give relay some interesting checkride
experiences to take the edge off my nervousness... Really the nerves
haven't hit yet and I figure that the worst thing that will happen is
that I'd bust some portion and have to retake it... Holding pattern
entries would be my guess... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA (hopefully not for long)

Old March 31st 04, 05:06 PM
Peter R.

Jon Kraus ) wrote:

Or, can anyone give relay some interesting checkride
experiences to take the edge off my nervousness...

My instrument checkride was not atypical so I don't have any over-the-top
experiences to offer. I did, however, forget the acronym MEA when the DE
pointed to it on the en route chart and asked what the number represented.
After he answered his own question, I apologized for the legitimate brain
fart. This DE is also a CFII (not mine) and a very easy person with whom
to converse, so overall the test was very comfortable for me.

However, in regards to the nervousness, I have two suggestions. The first
is to really enjoy and interact with the DE during the oral exam. Ask him
about his experiences. Take the opportunity to let him/her teach you, as
well as the more obvious part about him/her testing you. The more you
informally interact with him/her, the more you should realize that he is
just a more experienced pilot who wants to be sure you will be a safe
pilot, especially with a rating that can be inherently more lethal.

Secondly, I found it reassuring that I absolutely did not want to pass the
instrument checkride if I was not a safe instrument pilot. I am not on any
fast track to some airline job, so slamming out ratings like the passing of
mile markers on a super highway was not my goal. Carrying my precious
cargo of my wife and two little boys as safely as possible was (and is
still) my goal. This may be obvious, but the point of passing is not to
pass, but to demonstrate some level of proficiency.

With that in mind, I gave the DE a quick speech at the beginning of my oral
exam stating that I expected him to withhold the rating if I was not safe
in his eyes. By doing this, I accomplished two things. First, it relaxed
me because it reminded me of the real purpose of the checkride. Secondly,
it demonstrated to the DE what my sincere goal was if I did pass the
checkride.

Remember that your CFII would not have endorsed your logbook if s/he felt
you were not ready. Fly like it is your CFII in the right seat, and you
should do very well.

Looking forward to reading your post-instrument checkride report.

--
Peter

Old March 31st 04, 05:27 PM
John T

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message

Or, can anyone give relay some
interesting checkride experiences to take the edge off my
nervousness...

It was November 2001. The WTC wreckage was still strewn across lower
Manhattan and the Pentagon construction crews were starting their own
herculean rebuilding effort while many citizens were still wary of aircraft
sounds in the skies. The Powers That Be had just recently implemented the
DC ADIZ and all the local pilots were well aware that the circular contrails
above the city were created by aircraft not displaying civilian livery.

I scheduled my checkride to fly out of Frederick, MD (KFDK) but that meant I
had to get my plane from Leesburg, VA (KJYO) to FDK. At the time of my
checkride, all flights in the ADIZ had to be on IFR plans so I had to
convince my instructor to tag along so we could fly IFR on his ticket.

We get to FDK without incident, meet the DE and she begins reviewing the
documentation. Aircraft logs check out OK and she reviews my logbook. "So
you flew to Elizabeth City, NC for your long XC?" Yes. "I don't see an
instructor sign-off." Uh-oh.

I had gotten an interpretation from AOPA that an instructor was not required
for that flight. They were wrong. As the DE put it, "You should have asked
the FAA." OK, what are my options? It turned out that her afternoon
appointment had cancelled (perhaps due to ADIZ restrictions) and she was
willing to give me the checkride in the afternoon *IF* I could get the long
XC done that day.

I call the office and let them know I need to take the rest of the day off
and they graciously agreed. Meanwhile, my instructor (who I begged to
check) also was able to get the day off from his day job.

We planned and flew a XC from FDK to Hot Springs, VA (KHSP) - a very cool
mountain-top airport for those interested - with a secondary stop at
Shenandoah (KSHD). While waiting for fuel at SHD, I called and confirmed
with the DE that we would be back in FDK that day, but that daylight would
be fast receding by the time we got there. She normally doesn't conduct
checkrides at night, but she suggested I get back to FDK as quickly as
possible.

We kept the squirrels under the cowl of the 172 running as fast as the whip
could get them and we arrived back at FDK with about 25 minutes of daylight
left. My instructor signed off the logbook and the DE began the oral
portion of the checkride.

Everything went well and we went to the plane where I performed the
pre-flight by flashlight. Luckily, I was still night current and we took
off for the practical test.

We went through the usual assortment of tasks - steep turns, DME arc, VOR
approach, tracking radials, etc. - and ended up shooting the ILS back to
FDK. She let me know that I'd "broken out" and could remove the hood and
proceeded to inform me that as long as I could land and park the plane, I'd
received my instrument rating. Even with that added pressure, I was able to
fly a near-perfect glideslope followed by a chirp-chirp...chirp landing that
any instructor would be proud of.

We went inside where the DE filled out my temporary certificate and I filed
my very first IFR plan where I was to be PIC - just to get home to JYO.

After all was said and done, I performed the first pre-flight of the day
before 8am and tied down after 7pm. In between, I logged 1.1 hours for the
trip to/from JYO-FDK, 4.1 hours for the long XC, and another 1.3 for the
practical test (6.5 hours of flight time) on top of the oral exam.

It was a long day.

Let this be a lesson for all: Take your instructor on the long XC flight!

Really the nerves haven't hit yet and I figure that
the worst thing that will happen is that I'd bust some portion and
have to retake it... Holding pattern entries would be my guess...

Good attitude. Try to stay calm. Remember that your instructor wouldn't
send you up (hopefully) unless he thought you were ready.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old March 31st 04, 06:14 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA (hopefully not for long)

Have a great ride, Jon! As is often said, your instructor wouldn't release
you for the checkride unless you were ready. I look forward to seeing your
'signature' changing, after April 21.

I have to admit that I am going to have to woodshed a little more on holding
patterns. Such an irony, that the very thing we will be tested on in the
practical (i.e., holding patterns) represents something that we may never be
asked to do in our entire flying career. I think I have the pattern entry
process, down, though (OnTop has helped me quite a lot with conceptualizing
the entries). Though occasionally I've done the 'wrong' entry, so to speak,
during moments of IFR training induced 'brain-fog' :-)

As for the nervousness,,, I don't know what to tell you other than to do
something relaxing the day before (unrelated to flying). If you can,, take
the day off and take in a good matinee at the movies (with an extra helping
of popcorn and root beer g) or if you fish, take in a day of fishing.
You'll be fine, come April 21!

Look forward to your post-checkride story,,,, really, you're going to find
that you will do just fine!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old March 31st 04, 11:54 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Here is an interesting question. Lets say you pass your checkride, but
the examiner fails his. Do you have to retake your checkride?

Old April 1st 04, 02:19 AM
Jack Allison

Good luck John. Be the plane man, be the plane...

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 1st 04, 03:20 AM
C J Campbell

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
om...
Here is an interesting question. Lets say you pass your checkride, but
the examiner fails his. Do you have to retake your checkride?

No.

Old April 1st 04, 02:17 PM
Allen

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
I have my IFR checkride scheduled for April 21st... To make it even more
exciting my CFII talked me into taking my ride with a DE that is getting
his certification for giving instrument checkrides... So not only will
he be there but a representative from the FAA will be riding along
critiquing him... Has anyone else had any checkride experiences along
these lines? Or, can anyone give relay some interesting checkride
experiences to take the edge off my nervousness... Really the nerves
haven't hit yet and I figure that the worst thing that will happen is
that I'd bust some portion and have to retake it... Holding pattern
entries would be my guess... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA (hopefully not for long)

When I took my multi-engine check ride my boss was getting his DE authority
also. The FAA Inspector from Albuquerque, NM was also training two new
inspectors. There were five of us in a Piper Navajo on a July day in NM.
Talk about "sweating" it out.

You are going about it with the right attitude. Give it the best you've got
and you'll do fine.

P.S. We all passed!

Allen Smith

Old April 2nd 04, 05:11 PM
Hilton

Cecil,

Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
I have to admit that I am going to have to woodshed a little more on

holding
patterns. Such an irony, that the very thing we will be tested on in the
practical (i.e., holding patterns) represents something that we may never

be
asked to do in our entire flying career.

I'm sure other IFR pilots, and perhaps your CFI, have told you this - it
simply is not true. I have been given numerous holds by ATC here in the Bay
Area (where you are). Also, many approaches have a hold as part of their
misssed approach. As yourself what happens if you lose comms. I remember
hearing NorCal giving a military pilot a hold and ATC had to literally
describe to the pilot how to fly it (over PYE if I remember correctly) - I
was amazed.

Moreover, if you go into the exercise of learning holds with the thought
that you'll never use them, you probably won't maximize the learning
experience.

Hilton