"War of the Worlds" Aircraft - Liaison aircraft

Old May 30th 07, 06:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

Default "War of the Worlds" Aircraft - Liaison aircraft

This is the plane that Clayton Forrester and Sylvia
van Buren use to escape the first battle.

The "War of the Worlds" drinking game goes something
like this:

When Clayton takes off his glasses, have a drink.

When Clayton puts on his glasses, have a drink.

When Sylvia screams, you need a drink.

--Bill Thompson

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WOTW-LiaisonPlane.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	11906
Old May 30th 07, 01:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith[_2_]

In article .net,
"William R Thompson" wrote:

This is the plane that Clayton Forrester and Sylvia
van Buren use to escape the first battle.

Aeronca L-16
Old May 30th 07, 02:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"john smith" wrote in message
In article .net,
"William R Thompson" wrote:

This is the plane that Clayton Forrester and Sylvia
van Buren use to escape the first battle.

Aeronca L-16

Looks more like a Chief. It's been some time since I've seen the film, but
I believe the airplane had side-by-side seating. The L-16 had tandem
seating.

Old May 31st 07, 06:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"john smith" wrote:

"William R Thompson" wrote:

This is the plane that Clayton Forrester and Sylvia
van Buren use to escape the first battle.

Aeronca L-16

Looks more like a Chief. It's been some time since I've seen the film,
but
I believe the airplane had side-by-side seating. The L-16 had tandem
seating.

Here's a picture of the actors in the cabin. It's possible that they
used two different types of aircraft in the scene, so this picture
may not settle the identity question.

--Bill Thompson

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WOTW-PleaseDontScreamAgain.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	11929
Old May 31st 07, 03:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

William R Thompson wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"john smith" wrote:

"William R Thompson" wrote:

This is the plane that Clayton Forrester and Sylvia
van Buren use to escape the first battle.

Aeronca L-16

Looks more like a Chief. It's been some time since I've seen the film,
but
I believe the airplane had side-by-side seating. The L-16 had tandem
seating.

Here's a picture of the actors in the cabin. It's possible that they
used two different types of aircraft in the scene, so this picture
may not settle the identity question.

--Bill Thompson

His necktie is either too tight or the gal has grabbed the control stick.

Cheers,

Dave

Old May 31st 07, 10:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith[_2_]

In article k.net,
"William R Thompson" wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"john smith" wrote:

"William R Thompson" wrote:

This is the plane that Clayton Forrester and Sylvia
van Buren use to escape the first battle.

Aeronca L-16

Looks more like a Chief. It's been some time since I've seen the film,
but
I believe the airplane had side-by-side seating. The L-16 had tandem
seating.

Here's a picture of the actors in the cabin. It's possible that they
used two different types of aircraft in the scene, so this picture
may not settle the identity question.

I based my L-16 comment on the vertical stabilizer/dorsal fin.
Old May 31st 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"john smith" wrote in message

I based my L-16 comment on the vertical stabilizer/dorsal fin.

Same tail on Champs and Chiefs.

Old May 31st 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith[_2_]

In article .net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message

I based my L-16 comment on the vertical stabilizer/dorsal fin.

Same tail on Champs and Chiefs.

For the 7AC, yes, but not for the later models with the larger engines.
The dorsal was extended forward on the larger engine models.
Did the the Chiefs come with anything other than an A65?
Old May 31st 07, 11:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"john smith" wrote in message

For the 7AC, yes, but not for the later models with the larger engines.
The dorsal was extended forward on the larger engine models.
Did the the Chiefs come with anything other than an A65?

Yes. The 11BC Chief and 11CC Super Chief were built with a C85-8 and the
dorsal fin.

The 7BCM/L-16A had the same small tail as the 7AC, the large tail first
appeared on the 7CCM/L-16B.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11BC.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	11935
Old June 1st 07, 09:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"john smith" wrote:

I based my L-16 comment on the vertical stabilizer/dorsal fin.

Here are two more pictures of the whatever-aircraft. They're
the best caps I could get of the plane. I don't know if the
plane in the crash scene is the same one in the flying scenes.

--Bill Thompson

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WOTW-CrashedPlaneTail.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	11948
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOTW-LiaisonPlaneOnGround.jpg (73.7 KB, 68 views)