Largest bomb carried by Fighters or Bombers

Old October 8th 03, 05:30 PM
funkraum

Default Largest bomb carried by Fighters or Bombers

"You Only Live Twice" by Ian Fleming JONATHAN CAPE 1964 fp 1964

Page 68

'If you insist, Mr Tanaka.'

'I am afraid I must, Commander.'

'So be it.' Bond drew the sheet of paper towards him. The text was in
English. This is what it said:

TO ALL STATIONS GRADE TWO AND ABOVE. TO BE DECIPHERED BY ADDRESSEE
PERSONALLY AND THEN DESTROYED. WHEN DESTRUCTION HAS BEEN EFFECTED
CONFIRM BY THE CODE WORD QUOTE SATURN UNQUOTE. TEXT BEGINS: IN
AMPLIFICATION OF THE NUMBER ONES PUBLISHED SPEECH TO THE SUPREME
SOVIET ON SEPTEMBER FIRST THIS CONFIRMS THAT WE ARE IN POSSESS O F THE
TWO HUNDRED MEGATON WEAPON AND THAT TEST FIRING WILL TAKE PLACE ON
SEPTEMBER TWENTIETH AT HIGH ALTITUDE IN THE NOVAYA ZEMLYA AREAS TOP.
CONSIDERABLE FALLOUT CAN BE EXPECTED AND PUBLIC OUTCRY CAN BE
ANTICIPATED IN THE ARCTIC, NORTH PACIFIC AND ALASKAN AREAS STOP THIS
SHOULD BE COUNTERED AN WILL BE COUNTERED FROM MOSCOW BY REFERENCE TO
THE MORE RECENT TEST BY AMERICAN AND TO NUMBER ONES REPEATED DEMANDS
FOR AN END TO TESTS OF NUCLEAR FISSION WEAPONS OF OFFENCE WHICH HAVE
SUCCESSIVELY BEEN REBUFFED STOP FOR INFORMATION THE DELIVER OF ONE
SUCH WEAPON BY ICBM ON LONDON WOULD DESTROY ALL LIE AND PROPERTY SOUTH
A LINE DRAWN BETWEEN NEWCASTLE AND CARLISLE STOP IT FOLLOWS THAT
SECOND MISSILE DROPPED IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF ABERDEEN WOULD
INEVITABLY RESULT IN THE TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF BRITAIN AND IRELAND STOP
THIS FACT WILL SHORTLY BE EMPLOYED BY A NUMBER ONE AS THE TEETH IN A
DIPLOMATIC DEMARCHE DESIGNED TO ACHIEVE THE REMOVAL OF ALL AMERICAN
BASES AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS FROM BRITAIN AND THE NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT
OF BRITAIN ITSELF STOP. THIS WILL TEST TO THE UTTERMOST AND PROBABLY
DESTROY THE ANGLE HYPHEN AMERICAN ALLIANCE SINCE IT CAN ASSUMED THAT
AMERICA WILL NOT RISK A NUCLEAR WAR INVOLVING HER TERRITORY FOR THE
SAKE OF RESCUING A NOW MORE OR LESS VALUELESS ALLY DASH AN ALLY NOW
OPENLY REGARDED IN WASHING TON AS OF LITTLE MORE ACCOUNT THAN BELGIUM
OF ITALY STOP IF THIS DIPLOMATIC DEMARCHE COMMA WHICH MUST OF COURSE
BE CATEGORIZED AS CARRYING SOME DEGREE OF RISK COMMA IS SUCCESSFUL IT
FOLLOWS THAT SIMILAR DEMARCHES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN IN EUROPE AND LATER
IN THE PACIFIC AREA COMMA INDIVIDUAL COUNTRIES BEING SINGLED OUT ONE
BY ONE FOR TERRORIZATION AND DEMORALIZATION STOP

[the deciphered telegram continues]

Earlier, at page 58, Bond is drinking with the head of the Australian
office, Dikko Henderson in Tokyo. Henderson is a straight-talking
boozer who does not sugar-coat it. He continues:

Just to show you I'm getting rather tight - not drunk, mark you - I'd
add that the U.N. are going to reap the father and mother of a
whirlwind by quote liberating unquote the colonial peoples. Give 'em a
thousand years, yes. But give 'em ten, no. You're only taking away
their blow-pipes and giving them machine guns. Just you wait for the
first one to start crying to high heaven for nuclear fission. Because
they must have quote parity unquote with the lousy colonial powers.
I'll give you ten years for that to happen, my friend And when it
does, I'll dig myself a deep hole in the ground and sit in it.

Bond laughed. 'That also doesn't sound very i demokorasu /i.'

Henderson continues

' "I fornicate upon thy demokorasu" as brother Hemingway would have
said. I stand for government by an elite.' Dikko Henderson downed his
ninth pint of sake.

"You Only Live Twice" by Ian Fleming JONATHAN CAPE 1964 fp 1964