Leaking Static

Old February 1st 09, 04:14 AM
Max Birley Max Birley is offline
Junior Member

Default Leaking Static

I have a lak 12. It has 4 static ports on the fuselage. Left and right ports are mixed. If the tubes connecting the ports have leaks, who can I fix them as I do not know any 8" mechanics.
I think I have 3 options
replace the tubes I can reach
relocate the static ports
Cut an access hole in the boom (expensive)

Any other ideas

Max
Old February 1st 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Hi Max,
There is a way to install statics, but its probably less work to cut a
4" hole on the bottom and re-plumb your originals. How bad is the
leak? You can stand a slight leak, the TE line is the one where you
don't want any leak to exist. I'd say a 30 knot drop in 60 seconds
would be acceptable (100k down to 70K in 1 minute). You could also
install a triple probe in the fin, but that's even more fun. Do
another leak check as close to the statics as you can get to make sure
the problem is in the boom, not up forward. Clean the area around the
statics and use good plastic tape to seal them up for the test.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old February 1st 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

--
Max Birley

Max,

Tools - A Syringe, a Tee fitting and an airspeed indicator (use the
one in your panel no need to remove.it). Put a tee in the line one
side to the syringe, one to your airspeed indicator one the line you
are checking.

Total Energy - Put the probe in the fitting and tape also tape the
holes in the TE probe. . Pressure the lines to 60 knots. NO LEAKS
AT ALL it should hold for ever. I know nothing is forever so lets
say 1 or 2 minutes holding the A/S at 60 knots..

AirSpeed - plug the pitot line (ram air in) pressure to 60 knots.
NO LEAKS AT ALL it should hold for many minutes.

Statics you can check the same way but I would not worry if they have
a small leaks, unless you are connecting the static to a vario.
Usually there are statics in the rear fuselage (which you can’t get
to) , center under the wings on the fuselage, ( which you can get to)
and front (which you can get to) if you have leaks in the back one
your could disconnect and not use them and connect your instruments to
the wing or front statics.

Someone mentioned flushing the lines with water to clean them out. I
would not flush lines with water ever. It can damage your instruments
if you don't get it all out and if you have water in the TE line it
will block the air flow intermittently as the water bubble moves back
and forth. Strange indications on your vario, it will go from zero the
a high climb rate or sink when the bubble lets pressure or suction
through. With the TE probe removed you should be able to easily blow
through the lines.

Give me a call if you need some coaching.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 2nd 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 1, 9:34*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Hi Max,
There is a way to install statics, but its probably less work to cut a
4" hole on the bottom and re-plumb your originals.

JJ has no problem with cutting holes because he's very good it fixing
them afterwards

Some people would rather spend a month designing and fabricating a
special tool set than to cut a hole in their nice glider. Someone must
have tackled this problem before and have some tool ideas.

I suppose you could always try contacting an endoscopic surgical
instrument supplier and ask for a demonstration.

Andy
Old February 2nd 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 2, 10:03*am, Andy wrote:
On Feb 1, 9:34*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:

Hi Max,
There is a way to install statics, but its probably less work to cut a
4" hole on the bottom and re-plumb your originals.

JJ has no problem with cutting holes because he's very good it fixing
them afterwards

Some people would rather spend a month designing and fabricating a
special tool set than to cut a hole in their nice glider. Someone must
have tackled this problem before and have some tool ideas.

I suppose you could always try contacting an endoscopic surgical
instrument supplier and ask for a demonstration.

Andy

For what it's worth, I have a very slow leak in my rear static line.
The TE, front static and pitot are all leak-free. I only use the rear
static ports for the "static" connection on the 302. The altimeter is
connected to the front static ports, and the 302 (TE connection) and
mechanical vario get TE probe. I did worry about it when I discovered
the leak, but after flying with it I'm glad I didn't go through the
mess of cutting holes and such. Seems to be fine. I checked it again
the following season and the rate of leak did not change. If it gets
bad I'll do something about it. For now, it doesn't seem to be
affecting anything. My varios all work great.