Oudie 2 "AGL" and "Ground Altitude" reading N/A

Old April 7th 15, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Oudie 2 "AGL" and "Ground Altitude" reading N/A

Any ideas?

I have updated the NA .cit file, etc. I have never seen this problem before.

Thanks.
Old April 7th 15, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 1:54:12 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Any ideas?

I have updated the NA .cit file, etc. I have never seen this problem before.

Thanks.

Maybe you landed.
Old April 8th 15, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Andy. Then it should say somewhere between -20 / +20. All other Oudie's are reading a value and not N/A.
Old April 8th 15, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 7:09:54 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Thanks Andy. Then it should say somewhere between -20 / +20. All other Oudie's are reading a value and not N/A.

Finally a good laugh today :-)
Old April 8th 15, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Sean, obviously you have the original iCloud model. ;-)
Old April 8th 15, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:54:12 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Any ideas?

I have updated the NA .cit file, etc. I have never seen this problem before.

Thanks.

I think that I have figured this out. Bottom line: the Oudie updater utility stinks. It took numerous tries to get the updater to complete successfully (hours). It often stopped in the middle of the download process and reset to the initial indication which stated that vector maps required updates. No indication or message regarding the result of the previous failed update was offered. In short, very frustrating.

Regardless, there appears to be 2 types of .cit files for each continent map (pre-loaded) in a properly updated Oudie 2. One the letters HGT and one without (at end of file name). The Hgt file ranges from 30-70% the size of the "main" .cit file:

NorthEastAmericaHgt.cit
NorthEastAmerica.cit

When I finally completed the update of the (vector) maps, the Hgt file was not included in any of the continent maps. Therefore no surface elevation definition was present and the Oudie only understood the elevation of the turn-points, airports, etc. This resulted in the N/A on the AGL and surface elevation fields anywhere else in the terrain map.

Old April 9th 15, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Kirk!