Revisiting declining membership

Old January 30th 05, 09:55 PM
Mark James Boyd

Although the L-13 and Grob 103 are NOT light sport aircraft (LSA),
you can do the Sport Pilot glider training, and the proficiency
check, in either of these aircraft. When I say "proficiency check"
I mean adding glider privileges to someone who already has
an airplane or helicopter or other pilot license already.

The regulation
only requires one to use a "glider" for the training and
proficiency check. 61.309 and 61.311 do NOT require that
the glider be an LSA.

After the proficiency check, the pilot then has privileges to
fly with a passenger in an LSA such as a 2-33 or SZD 50-3,
but perhaps ironically, NOT in a L-13 or G-103.

Some of you will ask, what use is this? If all we have
available is the L-13 or G-103, then doing this Sport
Pilot "proficiency check" is worthless...

Well, first of all, I and a few others are petitioning to
have the Vne glider limit for LSA removed. If this is done,
the L-13, L-23 and G-103 will then come under the definition of
LSA. The DG-1000 and Nimbus 4 still will not (due to the weight
limit).

Second, the procedure is an excellent exercise practicing for
the private or commercial glider checkride. I did a
sport pilot glider proficiency check for an airplane pilot
yesterday. He and his CFIG did the training, the endorsements,
and filled out the forms. I did the proficiency check
oral and flight portion. Even if he never uses this pivilege,
this was excellent practice getting familiar with forms and
procedures that are virtually identical to what he'll need
for his commercial practical test.

And I think, whether it is factually true, he FELT like he'd
accomplished something important.

It was simple, too. Just two CFIGs was all it took. No
DAR to schedule, no $350, no having to do 3 hours of
instruction from a non-DPE if the DPE soloed you, no
weather, glider, towplane, towpilot problems from
three weeks out, etc. The two CFIGs are there, it looks good,
lets do it NOW. A little less conversation, a little more ACTION.
And there are something like 80+ CFIGs for every glider DPE.

Like I said, this is maybe my own brand of snake oil. But
when I pointed out to the guy that there simply wasn't ANY
downside, that was the sale...

If you are a CFIG anywhere in the USA, even at a club without
LSAs, you can do this training. Take a look at the regs and
Sport Pilot Glider-PTS. And when an ASEL pilot comes in wanting
to add glider privileges, consider doing the "proficiency check"
if, for no other reason, it is a great tool for practicing
the process of a glider practical test.

Cheers!

In article ,
Wayne Paul wrote:
The retractable gear is not the problem preventing a Sport Pilot from flying
the Blanik. The Sports Pilot rules allows gliders with retractable gear.
(See: http://www.sportpilot.org/rule/sp_rule.pdf) The Blanik's problem is
that the Vne is 136 kts which exceeds the Sport Aircraft maximum of 120 kts.

Sport Pilot training requirements can be found at
http://www.sportpilot.org/becoming/new_pilot.html.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message
Mark James Boyd wrote:
...All you naysayers better write your cards and letters, and
make your calls to the selection board right now, before it's
too late. Otherwise there will be 2-33s swarming YOUR gliderports
with candidates I'VE examined.

And they'd be welcome at my club, I'm sure. Too bad these pilots
wouldn't be able to fly our Blaniks due to their retractable gear.

Tony V.

--

Mark J. Boyd
Old January 31st 05, 03:42 AM
Jack

Practice what you preach...... OK, I will. I have proposed such a day
for my group and have polled the R/C club to see who's interested. I
want to have some numbers before I porpose this to the club. I'll see
how it goes and report back as this progresses.

Jack Womack