Lightspeed 30-3G

Old October 29th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
KevinBlack

Default Lightspeed 30-3G

Upgraded from the 25XLs.

I've only used them a couple of times (dollars and time need to converge in
a mystical synergy). Not having the old 25XLs it's hard to compare, but my
overall impression is that they are nowhere near as good (ANC) as the 25XLs.
They seem to be much more 'noisy' (tech term) and just don't 'feel' as good
sound wise. I know this is subjective, but I've had a couple of flights
now. Battries are OK, fiddled around with adjustments, but I still think
they aren't as good by a long shot as the 25XLs. (and no I don't want to
swap them back for anyone's old 25XLs, I paid good money for the blue
headband).

For those that did the LS upgrade particularly, what's your 'gut' feeling.
If everyone says the 30-3G are much better then either I've got a dud set or
my qualitative assessment is way off beam.....

Cheers,
Kevin

Old October 29th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

KevinBlack,

If everyone says the 30-3G are much better

Yes, I would say they are. One thing to note is the different ear cup
design: More leathery and not as round shaped cushions. But the ANR is
better, in my view.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 29th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

I have an older 25XL, as well as two 30-3G jeadsets, and the ANR and comfort
of the newer models were clearly superior.

In fact, I compared them to a set of Bose headsets, and although the Bose
were a lot more solidly built and comfortable, the quality of the sound
(especially with the built in equalizer) was in my opinion superior in the
Lightspeeds.

Old October 29th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nathan Young

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:19:46 +1100, "KevinBlack"
wrote:

Upgraded from the 25XLs.

I've only used them a couple of times (dollars and time need to converge in
a mystical synergy). Not having the old 25XLs it's hard to compare, but my
overall impression is that they are nowhere near as good (ANC) as the 25XLs.
They seem to be much more 'noisy' (tech term) and just don't 'feel' as good
sound wise. I know this is subjective, but I've had a couple of flights
now. Battries are OK, fiddled around with adjustments, but I still think
they aren't as good by a long shot as the 25XLs. (and no I don't want to
swap them back for anyone's old 25XLs, I paid good money for the blue
headband).

For those that did the LS upgrade particularly, what's your 'gut' feeling.
If everyone says the 30-3G are much better then either I've got a dud set or
my qualitative assessment is way off beam.....

I had 20XLs before and upgraded to 30-3Gs. I like the 3Gs better.
The ANR seems quieter.

-Nathan

Old October 29th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

For those that did the LS upgrade particularly, what's your 'gut' feeling.
If everyone says the 30-3G are much better then either I've got a dud set or
my qualitative assessment is way off beam.....

We've owned every paid of LightSpeed models going back to 15s, and the
3-G series is clearly superior to the old 25XLs, both in construction
and ANR performance.

I don't know where you live, but what was the temperature when you
flew? The 3Gs have ear pieces that are like hockey pucks until they
warm up, which has a huge impact on how well the ANR works. At this
time of year that can take a few minutes.

Once they (and you) have warmed up, the earpieces conform to your head
perfectly, and the ANR is remarkable.

If that's not the problem, you may have a bad set?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
KevinBlack

I don't know where you live, but what was the temperature when you
flew? The 3Gs have ear pieces that are like hockey pucks until they
warm up, which has a huge impact on how well the ANR works. At this
time of year that can take a few minutes.

Once they (and you) have warmed up, the earpieces conform to your head
perfectly, and the ANR is remarkable.

Jay,

I too have had a number of LS headsets (20XL - #1 Blown ANR after about 10
hours, #2 Blown left ear ANR after 0 more hours, #3 battery drain whether on
off or indifferent after 0 hours, lightspeed finally replaced with 25XL at
no cost - my ****ed off level way in the red). Upgraded to 30-3G about 6
months or so ago.

Canberra, Australia cold in the winter (not quite central USA cold, but
cold). Last flight was warm though - mid 20Deg C and about 45 minutes out
and, oh 45 minute back - go figure.

The ANR just doesn't seem as good as what I remembered. As you and others
have reported, the 30-3Gs are superior to all of the other LS headsets as
far as noise cancelling then I need to work out whether I have really poor
memeory or I have a dud set. With the 25XLs whenever I turned on the ANR it
was a real 'aha' experience. With the 30-3Gs it's better than not having it
on, it just doesn't give me the same inner glow - it's sort of OK.....

Thanks to you and others that have responded.

Cheers,
Kevin

Lightspeed Excellent Service S Ramirez Piloting 55 January 20th 04 02:02 PM
Lightspeed Update Jay Honeck Piloting 6 January 16th 04 02:12 AM
Lightspeed Comes Through! Jay Honeck Owning 75 August 25th 03 04:45 PM
Lightspeed Comes Through! Jay Honeck Piloting 76 August 25th 03 04:45 PM
Lightspeed Battery Box Warning Justin Case Piloting 74 July 13th 03 03:12 AM