Cherokee 6

Old January 18th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven Barnes

Default Cherokee 6

My partners & I sold our Cherokee 180 a couple months ago & have begun
looking for a C-182 (fits our mission profile). A local mechanic also
recommended a Cherokee 6. Most we've looked at have been a bit outside of
our price envelope. We've now found one that's in our price range.
Anyone have any recommendations of things to look for in a 260 HP Six?
Gotchas? None of us know much about the Six. Two of us have hi-perf in 182s.

Thanks!

--

CP-ASEL, instrument, CFI

Old January 18th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Try looking on Google groups. There was a recent discussion about Cherokee
6's.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

.. .

Old January 18th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Steven Barnes wrote:
My partners & I sold our Cherokee 180 a couple months ago & have begun
looking for a C-182 (fits our mission profile). A local mechanic also
recommended a Cherokee 6. Most we've looked at have been a bit outside of
our price envelope. We've now found one that's in our price range.
Anyone have any recommendations of things to look for in a 260 HP Six?
Gotchas? None of us know much about the Six. Two of us have hi-perf in 182s.

If your mission fits the C-182, you may also want to take a look at the
235 hp version of the 4-seat Cherokee (variously known as the
235/Charger/Pathfinder/Dakota). The Six is good if you need the extra seats.
If you can do with 4 seats, the 235 hp Cherokee is more along the lines of a
C-182 in terms of both capabilities and price.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 18th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 01/18/08 13:56, JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Steven Barnes wrote:
My partners & I sold our Cherokee 180 a couple months ago & have begun
looking for a C-182 (fits our mission profile). A local mechanic also
recommended a Cherokee 6. Most we've looked at have been a bit outside of
our price envelope. We've now found one that's in our price range.
Anyone have any recommendations of things to look for in a 260 HP Six?
Gotchas? None of us know much about the Six. Two of us have hi-perf in 182s.

If your mission fits the C-182, you may also want to take a look at the
235 hp version of the 4-seat Cherokee (variously known as the
235/Charger/Pathfinder/Dakota). The Six is good if you need the extra seats.
If you can do with 4 seats, the 235 hp Cherokee is more along the lines of a
C-182 in terms of both capabilities and price.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Isn't there a large difference in insurance requirements/premiums between a 4 and
a 6-seat airplane as well?

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old January 19th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Steven Barnes wrote:
[...]

There can be. I insure my Bonanza for four seats only. When I shopped
for a 206 about 4 years ago I was quoted two prices for insurance and
the savings were worth doing if you didn't want six seats.
Old January 19th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven Barnes

The older 235's have the same airframe as our 180. Too cramped. To get the
larger airframe in a Dakota type plane, puts us out of our price range.

I'm going to call our old insurance company for a rough quote to see where
we're at in a Six.

Old January 19th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Steven Barnes wrote:
The older 235's have the same airframe as our 180. Too cramped. To get the
larger airframe in a Dakota type plane, puts us out of our price range.

Do you mean width, length or both? I thought the Dakota was the same
width as all of the PA028 series. I know they stretched the Arrow in
1972, but I don't know much about the Dakota. Is it just longer than
the older 235s or did they increase the width as well?

I'm looking at a nice Arrow III at the moment, but the trouble is the
cabin is so narrow compared to my former 182. I thought you had to move
to the PA-32 to get a wider Piper cabin, but I'm not intimately familiar
with the Piper line as I'm pretty much a Cessna guy. However, I must
admit that Piper's are cheap to buy compared to a Cessna of similar
performance and equipment. I just don't find the PA-28 series
comparable to the 182 in comfort for flights beyond 2 hours. I flew the
182 4 hours or more several times with no problem, but found the club
Arrow I flew most recently to be uncomfortable past about 1.5 hours.

Matt
Old January 19th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven Barnes

To be honest I don't know about the width part. I know that the length got
stretched around 1973 or 1974 with the Challenger, right? Even then, we want
a bit more width.
A agree that for the same money we could get a newer (or better equipped)
235 vs a 182. So, we were willing to pay the Cessna price premium.
Our price range in anywhere up to low-mid 80K. More often than not, we won't
need 6 seats. Although, I have an opportunity for a flight next weekend
where I'd need 5... :-)

Old January 20th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

The older 235's have the same airframe as our 180. Too cramped. To get the
larger airframe in a Dakota type plane, puts us out of our price range.

Look for a Pathfinder. Same engine and airframe as the Dakota, much lower
price.

If you can fit it in the door, you can fly. It's a great plane.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 21st 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

I have owned a 1965 PA32-260 since Feb 1996. It is a fairly simple plane
from a maintenance standpoint, basically a warrior on steroids. There
are only a few repetive AD's, which include the fuel drain (50hrs), the
fuel drain cover assembly (100hrs) (both of those are owner inspect
items, just a nuisance to keep up with), rear seat retention, which is
annual, and the old style bowtie yokes have a 100 hour inspection for
cracks, and the older style landing gear links have a 500 hour dye
penetrant inspection for cracks. Check to make sure the other ADs are
all complied with (there isn't anything onerous there), most of them are
old AD's from the 60's and 70's and should have been complied with a
long time ago.

The expensive problems are related to corrosion. Check the "hat section
rails" on the belly, especially where they join the belly skin for
corrosion. The insides are generally not painted and if moisture or
exhaust get in there it can be an expensive repair, also check the belly
skins for corrosion. Most likely along the exhaust trail and around the
door step attach point. I wouldn't buy a Six or a PA-28 without a
recent service bulletin SB1006, which is an inspection of the wing
spars for corrosion. It involves pulling out the wing tanks, inspecting
and treating the spar, replacing fuel and fuel vent lines and putting it
all back together. Very few have corrosion, but when you do get it
there, it means replacing or rebuilding the wings. There is also a
service bulletin for checking the rear spar attach points (dissimilar
metal) for corrosion. While you are in there, pull back the interior
and look below the windows for corrosion caused by leaking windows.
There is also a service bulletin for periodic checks of the stabilator
attach point for corrosion (again dissimilar metals). Make sure the
fuel valve drain exceeds the margins allowed by the fuel drain AD be a
good margin. If it fails that AD, the fuel valve has to be replaced,
and that is expensive (5 AMU's). For an older six, check the condition
of the fiberglass tip tanks with attention for any delamination and also
make sure the filler neck isn't pitted, as the there doesn't seem to be
many places to repair those tanks. The filler neck is a steel ring
bonded into the fiberglass. Other than that, there really isn't
anything that sticks out as a problem area.

The Six is a wonderful airplane, probably the best airplane piper ever
built (OK, I am biased). The fact is though, it is a load hauler
(mine's got a 1550lb useful load) built for cross country travel and yet
it is economical enough at 14GPH to fly solo locally. Older ones have a
higher useful load because they have less soundproofing and extra crap
stuffed into them. It will take a couple hours to get used to a six, as
the long nose limits the foward and down view somewhat. The airplane is
a different airplane when it is full vs when it is flown solo, so be
careful with flying with a full load.

The PA28's all have the same cabin width. The PA32 is some 11 inches
wider, which makes for some nice elbow room.

cherokee Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 15th 07 12:38 PM
Look at that Cherokee go [email protected] Soaring 6 May 10th 07 10:12 PM
Cherokee getting fat [email protected] Owning 32 June 30th 05 04:21 PM
Looking for a Cherokee zip777 Aviation Marketplace 0 November 6th 03 06:47 PM
Cherokee 180 Steven Barnes Owning 19 October 8th 03 06:16 AM