O2 Cylinder Sizes - What are people using these days?

Old June 29th 12, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default O2 Cylinder Sizes - What are people using these days?

On Jun 29, 11:38*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Jun 26, 5:15*pm, Brad wrote:

On Jun 26, 8:36*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

I'm looking to develop a standard O2 cylinder installation for the
HP-24 sailplane kit, and I'm curious what size cylinders people
generally have installed these days.

These days a lot of folks seem to be using EDS systems which seem to
offer very good efficiency at turning *pressurized gas into blood
oxygen. So less pressurized gas is needed than back in the old days
when we were all using surplus A8A regulators.

This webpage lists what seem to be the the standard O2 cylinder sizes
these days:

http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.php?op...ew=article&id=...

The cylinder sizes I generally see referred to in forums like these
are these medical sizes:

D-size: 4.4 in/11.1 cm diameter, 18.7 in/47.4 cm length, 14.7 ft^3
volume
JD-size: 5.3 in/13.3 cm diameter, 18.1 in/46.0 cm length, 22.8 ft^3
volume
E-size: 4.4 in/11.1 cm diameter, 27.0 in/68.6 cm length, 24.1 ft^3
volume

The information I'm looking to collect is, what size cylinder do you
actually have installed, and does it generally meet your needs?

Thanks, Bob K.http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

EDS system. AL415 bottle secured to the forward lift tube.

Brad
Tetra-15- Hide quoted text -

Brad,
What size is that?? *I've been looking for days on various sites for a
new cylinder, and I've *concluded that each VENDOR comes up with their
own 'standard' for naming the cylinders. *I was thrilled to note that
the cylinder in the Janus C was an enormous 39 Cubic Feet, and crushed
when I found it was the special thin wall steel cylinder with a
limited life, which had expired NINE YEARS AGO.

Hey Jim,

here are the specs from Richards website:

EDS System W/Aluminum AL-415 14.6 Cu. Ft. Cylinder 4.375" Dia X18.65"
Weight 6.25 Lbs.

Brad