Wanted: Wing "Cuffs"

Old March 28th 17, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Johnson[_3_]

Default Wanted: Wing "Cuffs"

It is a long shot, but I am looking for a set of wing "cuffs".

30 years ago I owned a ASW19 and a Minden trailer. There was a set of aluminum cuffs that slipped over each wing before you loaded it into the trailer. These cuffs slipped about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down the wing. Once the wing root was place on the dolly and rolled into the trailer, the wing was support by the cuff when it was lowered to the floor.

I was hoping that someone might have an unused set of these from the "good old days." Yes, I could hammer out a set of these, but I thought I would try asking first. You can contact me at tho*johnson*@*hot*mail.*com (take out the asterisks.) Thanks. TJ
Old April 1st 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

I'd offer mine if I could figure out a way to place the floor mounted wing cradles in my Komet that wouldn't impede the movement of the wing dolly...

Jordan
Old April 1st 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've made a few of these, as the construction is similar to the wing wheels I manufacture. What type of glider are they intended for? Differences in airfoil
and chord length determine the size and shape, which has to match the trailer at the proper location. If you don't have any luck, contact me and we can talk about it. MMFabrication dot com

Old April 1st 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 10:37:40 AM UTC-4, Echo wrote:
I'd offer mine if I could figure out a way to place the floor mounted wing cradles in my Komet that wouldn't impede the movement of the wing dolly....

Jordan

Been there- Done that.
The key is to rework the wing dolly's to provide needed bottom clearance. A new cross member installed about 2 inches higher does the job. This is made from 3/4 square tubing .059 wall or thicker. The outer balance wheel mounting also gets changed. It took us about 4 hours to do. With this mod the fixed saddle work just fine.
This is a good mod in my experience.
UH
Old April 1st 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Please keep in mind that not just the wing dolly must clear the cradle. In my tube trailer the leading edge of the wing root is close to the trailer floor, no room for a cradle. (Yes, the trailing edge is already close to the trailer ceiling)

Regards,

John 76
Old April 1st 17, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Also, if you built new wing cuffs, consider wheels. Rolling the wing out on the first few feet can be quite comfortable with a tube trailer.

John 76

Old April 2nd 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

Might give you a call in the coming weeks UH