Libelle Control Stick

Old April 26th 17, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Libelle Control Stick

I moved my annual up for my Libelle 201b from June to this past weekend. who the heck wants to take their ship down in the middle of prime time soaring?

Anyways, Over the years of sweat touching the control stick it has began to rust and I need to take it apart and bead blast and prime/paint it..

We tried taking out the stick by removing the two flat head screw drivers but we think the sweat has gotten into the coupler that holds the control stick to the rest of the linkage.

Are there any current or past Libelle owners on this fourm? Preferably someone who has removed the control stick on a 201. was it difficult like mine is, if so how did you get it out?

I tried doing some layers of mouse milk but I feel as if even that isn't a thin enough lubricant.

Please let me know.. many thanks!
Old April 26th 17, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Pe...enetrating+oil

This is the best penetrating oil I have found.

RC

Old April 26th 17, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 21:46:49 -0700, collinshea1345 wrote:

We tried taking out the stick by removing the two flat head screw
drivers but we think the sweat has gotten into the coupler that holds
the control stick to the rest of the linkage.

Mine is a 202, not the B model. It has a baggy cloth gaiter fitted to the
stick and secured round the raised lip surrounding the stick mount on the
cross bar. Consequently, the bearings etc remain nice and clean. This
year I lubed them using the sewing machine oil in a hypodermic oiler like
this:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pre...n-Commando/dp/
B00500UVNQ

Excellent tools - they don't leak and its easy to put small amounts of
oil exactly where yo need it. The oil reservoir is soft so a gentle
squeeze poots out an oil drop.

Try Glasfaser, http://www.streifly.de/ if you need a replacement gaiter.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old April 26th 17, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J Smiley AH

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:46:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I moved my annual up for my Libelle 201b from June to this past weekend. who the heck wants to take their ship down in the middle of prime time soaring?

Anyways, Over the years of sweat touching the control stick it has began to rust and I need to take it apart and bead blast and prime/paint it..

We tried taking out the stick by removing the two flat head screw drivers but we think the sweat has gotten into the coupler that holds the control stick to the rest of the linkage.

Are there any current or past Libelle owners on this fourm? Preferably someone who has removed the control stick on a 201. was it difficult like mine is, if so how did you get it out?

I tried doing some layers of mouse milk but I feel as if even that isn't a thin enough lubricant.

Please let me know.. many thanks!

Nothing is as good as ACF50 for loosing up rusty stuff. Non staining. Safe to use on electronics sticky switches etc
To make your own penetrating oil try automatic transmission fluid with acetone 50/50 mix
Owned a 301 Libelle for 10 years. Great flyer
Old April 26th 17, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 11:08:46 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 21:46:49 -0700, collinshea1345 wrote:

We tried taking out the stick by removing the two flat head screw
drivers but we think the sweat has gotten into the coupler that holds
the control stick to the rest of the linkage.

Mine is a 202, not the B model.

Correction: for '202' read H.201, s/n 82.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old April 26th 17, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have knocked off the rust using a rotating wire brush, mounted on a hand drill. Then re-painted the stick in place with rattle-can spray paint. Cut a small hole in an old sheet and cover up everything but the stick.
JJ
Old April 26th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

You should also post this question to the "Libelle Sailplanes" Yahoo group. It is rather active. And would be good to join in any case as a Libelle owner.