A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Blanik L-13

Old December 13th 16, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

A Slovenian friend told me yesterday that a lot of the European L-13s were sold to Russia cheap (+/- $US 4000), and that they're being flown there without modification. He said that a large part of the motivation to ground them was to boost sales of new gliders.

This is TOTAL HEARSAY of course, and Slovenians have a unique perspective on German influence and actions across a wide array of issues.

I'm interested to see whether any wings fall off the unmodified L-13s that are still flying.

He also said that the one that crashed had been abused and flown overweight..

I've no idea if any of this is true, but it is at least an interesting rumor.
Old February 5th 17, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

I had a long talk with Boise Pilot last night mostly about buying the 1-35 on Wings and Wheels. The conversation moved to his L-13 which piqued my interest. I am associated with an aerospace engineering company that specializes in serious sheet metal projects. The one picture I've seen of the factory mod looks relatively straightforward. I am trying to gauge how many L-13's are left in the US. And how much interest there is in resurrecting them.
Old February 5th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

FAA registry shows there are over 100 L13's registered, but that's probably a conservative number. Has the FAA come out with the final AMOC?

For a video of the factory solution for those grounded

http://home.nwi.net/%7Eblanikam/ba/news.htm
Old February 5th 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 5:35:04 AM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
I had a long talk with Boise Pilot last night mostly about buying the 1-35 on Wings and Wheels. The conversation moved to his L-13 which piqued my interest. I am associated with an aerospace engineering company that specializes in serious sheet metal projects. The one picture I've seen of the factory mod looks relatively straightforward. I am trying to gauge how many L-13's are left in the US. And how much interest there is in resurrecting them.

Been a while since I looked at the issue. Before the FAA started requiring renewals there were about 190 on the FAA registry. However, a few people, clubs had multiple airframes for parts. A local L-13, before repainting, had three N-numbers showing on various locations. I'm sure several are similar, sporting wings and things from other airframes. That could be a potential issue in returning some to service. However many are still on the registry, my guessimate at the time of grounding was that about 90 were in serviceable condition. 2-3 people had just restored/repaired examples and were ready to return to service. Several had only a few hundred hours. At the prospect of recovering 2000 or more hours of service life at a reasonably recoverable cost might be of interest to a few.

Frank Whiteley
Old February 5th 17, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 7:59:38 PM UTC+3, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 5:35:04 AM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:

Been a while since I looked at the issue. Before the FAA started requiring renewals there were about 190 on the FAA registry. However, a few people, clubs had multiple airframes for parts. A local L-13, before repainting, had three N-numbers showing on various locations. I'm sure several are similar, sporting wings and things from other airframes. That could be a potential issue in returning some to service. However many are still on the registry, my guessimate at the time of grounding was that about 90 were in serviceable condition. 2-3 people had just restored/repaired examples and were ready to return to service. Several had only a few hundred hours. At the prospect of recovering 2000 or more hours of service life at a reasonably recoverable cost might be of interest to a few.

The L-13 is, after all, better than the majority of training gliders in use in the USA.
Old February 11th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

FYI, regarding the possible FAA AMOC: Here is a recent response to an inquiry someone made to the SSA and posted elsewhere. The authors names have been removed, but this is a direct quote:

XXXX,

Ken Sorenson asked me to respond to your inquiry regarding the status of the Blanik L-13.

To date, the FAA has not approved any modification which would allow the Blanik L-13 to return to service in the US. Private (as in unofficial, off-the-record) discussions between the SSA and individuals within the FAA lead us to believe that it is doubtful that the FAA will ever approve one, as they raised concerns that came to light as a result of the fatal accident which resulted in the grounding. Their concerns center around the original basis of structural certification of the aircraft, issues which they raised but which have never been addressed/resolved by the certifying agency.

Having said that, attached is a recent letter (October, 2015) from Blanik Aircraft CZ via Blanik America to the L-13 owners of record. I will note that the FAA has not - as of this writing - approved this modification. As stated in the letter, the modification would extend (not add) the airframe life to 6000 hours. So if your airframe has over 6000 hours, it would not be eligible for modification.

Regards,

XXXX XXXX
Old April 25th 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

I'm looking to purchase a Blanik 13 for decoration in my yard
Old April 26th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L-13

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 9:11:56 PM UTC-6, wrote: