iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

Old October 17th 14, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

Default iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?
Thanks,
Michael
Old October 17th 14, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Bishop

On Friday, October 17, 2014 7:15:51 AM UTC+1, Duster wrote:
With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?

Thanks,

Michael

Wait a couple more weeks and get a nexus 6, android for xcsoar.
Old October 17th 14, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Before you decide on either try to have a viewing in full sunlight to
see if they're, in fact, useful at all.

I had a Galaxy III for a while and found it next to useless in direct
sunlight. I made a sun shade from construction paper and tape and that
helped but, when the sun was behind me, the Galaxy III was useless. I
used my wife's Nexus 7 in my glider and found that it was readable in
sunlight, but just barely when the sun was behind me.

I have no experience with the Oudie but I lot of people like them.

I use a Dell Streak 5 which is fully readable in all lighting
conditions, including the sun over my shoulder. I like it so much, in
fact, that I bought a second one to keep as a spare for that inevitable
day when the one I fly with dies or gets stepped on. You can get them
brand new on Amazon for $100 and XCSoar and Tophat are free.

Dan Marotta

Old October 17th 14, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:15:51 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?

Thanks,

Michael

Depends on what software you want to run? Certainly there are more programs available for Android, however iGlide only runs on the iPhone and makes the others look two decades dated.
Old October 17th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult[_2_]

On 2014-10-17 16:22:31 +0000, jfitch said:

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:15:51 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the
Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for
running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?

Thanks,

Michael

Depends on what software you want to run? Certainly there are more
programs available for Android, however iGlide only runs on the iPhone
and makes the others look two decades dated.

Wow, that's pricey!!

OK, it's cheaper than the iPhone, let alone the glider. And I'm sure
the market is small and the developer needs to buy groceries...

Does it work only from the internal sensors (e.g. GPS), or can it
receive info from airspeed, heading, vario etc? If so, how?

Old October 17th 14, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On 2014-10-17 16:22:31 +0000, jfitch said:

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:15:51 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:

With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the

Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for

running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?

Thanks,

Michael

Depends on what software you want to run? Certainly there are more

programs available for Android, however iGlide only runs on the iPhone

and makes the others look two decades dated.

Wow, that's pricey!!

OK, it's cheaper than the iPhone, let alone the glider. And I'm sure

the market is small and the developer needs to buy groceries...

Does it work only from the internal sensors (e.g. GPS), or can it

receive info from airspeed, heading, vario etc? If so, how?

iGlide will work with the internal GPS, maybe in the future it might use the barometric sensor in the iPhone 6 though one shouldn't expect great vario performance from that.

But you can connect it to your other instruments one way or another. With a Butterfly vario, via WiFi. With other instruments, via the Air Avionics (Butterfly) Air Connect, which creates a WiFi connection from your standard 9 pin serial NMEA stream. Or buy Air's black box sensor/recorder Air Sens which also includes the WiFi interface (but I don't think gives you variometer functions?).

For navigation and most glide calculations the internal GPS alone does an OK job. Connected to your other systems you get barographic glide calculations, Flarm leeching display, thermal assistant, etc. Price is a bit cheaper than SYM, even for the Pro version, eh? No other software even comes close to the user interface.
Old October 17th 14, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On 2014-10-17 16:22:31 +0000, jfitch said:

[...]

Is the iPhone 6 plus display easily readable in strong sunlight?

Thanks,
Craig
Old October 18th 14, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

Good question. I haven't been able to find one to look. The brightness specs are the same as the 5s, but the contrast specs are better. I have found the 5s to be marginal in direct sun, and unreadable if there are reflections in the direct sun. Somewhat better if you turn off terrain. Not as bright as the Avier/OudieII, but brighter than the iPaq 39xx. The screen on the iPhone is MUCH higher resolution than the Avier/Oudie, but physically smaller until you get a 6 or 6 plus. The larger size cannot hurt. It is not a transflective like the Dell.
Old October 19th 14, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

While not about the iPhone directly, I would still suggest checking out the Kobo e-reader option. The display is black and white but it is always readable in flight, no matter what the sun direction is. You can put the "system" together for under $100. Kobo Mini's are out of production but still around for $60, A GPS chip is around $30, and the wiring is up to you or your local computer repair shop. Runs XCSoar or Top Hat.

For me readability in flight is a top priority, and you can always read a book on it.
http://www.50k-or-bust.com/Kobo%20XC...Notes%2001.pdf

Gary
Old October 19th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:34:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
While not about the iPhone directly, I would still suggest checking out the Kobo e-reader option. The display is black and white but it is always readable in flight, no matter what the sun direction is. You can put the "system" together for under $100. Kobo Mini's are out of production but still around for $60, A GPS chip is around $30, and the wiring is up to you or your local computer repair shop. Runs XCSoar or Top Hat.

For me readability in flight is a top priority, and you can always read a book on it.

http://www.50k-or-bust.com/Kobo%20XC...Notes%2001.pdf

Gary

Below is a partial list of devices and their measured brightness of at least 400 "nits" obtained from "phonearena.com" and passed on by a kind XCSoar folk. -Michael

BlackBerry Q5 912
BlackBerry Passport 894
Nokia Lumia 720 740
BlackBerry Z10 739
Sony Xperia Z3 713
Nokia Lumia 1520 707
Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 627
Nokia Lumia 620 623
Kyocera Brigadier 610
Apple iPhone 6 606
Google Nexus 7 (2013) 591
Apple iPhone 5s 587
HTC Desire 700 577
Apple iPhone 6 Plus 574
Sony Xperia T3 569
Amazon Fire Phone 566
Meizu MX4 535
Apple iPhone 5 535
HTC One (E8) 524
Nokia Lumia 1320 521
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact 515
HTC One (M8) for Windows 514
HTC Butterfly 2 510
Sony Xperia T2 Ultra 508
HTC Desire 601 503
Sony Xperia Z1 495
Alcatel OneTouch Hero 495
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active 491
HTC One (M8) 490
Sony Xperia SP 490
HTC One mini 2 489
Alcatel OneTouch Idol Alpha 486
Google Nexus 5 485
Huawei Ascend Mate7 484
Sony Xperia C 480
HTC One mini 480
HTC One max 469
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 468
Huawei Ascend P7 463
Xiaomi Mi-3 463
Sony Xperia M2 461
HTC One 460
Sony Xperia Z2 458
HTC Desire 500 458
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 458
Huawei Ascend Mate 2 4G 457
OPPO Find 7a 455
LG G3 455
OPPO R819 453
Apple iPad mini 2 450
OnePlus One 447
Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ 447
Samsung Galaxy S5 442
ZTE ZMAX 441
HTC Desire 300 441
Nokia Lumia 635 440
Sony Xperia Z 440
Sony Xperia M 438
LG G2 438
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact 436
Alcatel OneTouch Idol X 431
Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) 430
Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 430
Motorola Moto G 429
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active 427
Google Nexus 4 427