iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

Old October 19th 14, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

If it's XCSoar you want to run, you can always research hardware he
http://www.xcsoar.org/hardware/

This should also be valid for Top Hat.

Dan Marotta

On 10/19/2014 9:20 AM, Duster wrote:
BlackBerry Q5 912
BlackBerry Passport 894
Nokia Lumia 720 740
BlackBerry Z10 739
Sony Xperia Z3 713
Nokia Lumia 1520 707
Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 627
Nokia Lumia 620 623
Kyocera Brigadier 610
Apple iPhone 6 606
Google Nexus 7 (2013) 591
Apple iPhone 5s 587
HTC Desire 700 577
Apple iPhone 6 Plus 574
Sony Xperia T3 569
Amazon Fire Phone 566
Meizu MX4 535
Apple iPhone 5 535
HTC One (E8) 524
Nokia Lumia 1320 521
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact 515
HTC One (M8) for Windows 514
HTC Butterfly 2 510
Sony Xperia T2 Ultra 508
HTC Desire 601 503
Sony Xperia Z1 495
Alcatel OneTouch Hero 495
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active 491
HTC One (M8) 490
Sony Xperia SP 490
HTC One mini 2 489
Alcatel OneTouch Idol Alpha 486
Google Nexus 5 485
Huawei Ascend Mate7 484
Sony Xperia C 480
HTC One mini 480
HTC One max 469
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 468
Huawei Ascend P7 463
Xiaomi Mi-3 463
Sony Xperia M2 461
HTC One 460
Sony Xperia Z2 458
HTC Desire 500 458
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 458
Huawei Ascend Mate 2 4G 457
OPPO Find 7a 455
LG G3 455
OPPO R819 453
Apple iPad mini 2 450
OnePlus One 447
Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ 447
Samsung Galaxy S5 442
ZTE ZMAX 441
HTC Desire 300 441
Nokia Lumia 635 440
Sony Xperia Z 440
Sony Xperia M 438
LG G2 438
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact 436
Alcatel OneTouch Idol X 431
Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) 430
Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 430
Motorola Moto G 429
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active 427
Google Nexus 4 427
Apple iPad Air 426
GIGABYTE GSmart Guru 426
GIGABYTE GSmart Roma R2 425
Sony Xperia Z Ultra 425
OPPO N1 423
Samsung Galaxy Alpha 422
LG G Pro 2 420
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 419
HTC Desire 501 418
Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 417
Acer Liquid S1 411
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 410
HTC Desire 600 410
Sony Xperia L 410
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8-inch 408
Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus 405
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-inch 402
HTC One X+ 400

Old October 19th 14, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:20:10 AM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
On Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:34:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:

While not about the iPhone directly, I would still suggest checking out the Kobo e-reader option. The display is black and white but it is always readable in flight, no matter what the sun direction is. You can put the "system" together for under $100. Kobo Mini's are out of production but still around for $60, A GPS chip is around $30, and the wiring is up to you or your local computer repair shop. Runs XCSoar or Top Hat.

For me readability in flight is a top priority, and you can always read a book on it.

http://www.50k-or-bust.com/Kobo%20XC...Notes%2001.pdf

Gary

Below is a partial list of devices and their measured brightness of at least 400 "nits" obtained from "phonearena.com" and passed on by a kind XCSoar folk. -Michael

[...]

Unfortunately brightness has little to do with sunlight readability of a color screen. The contrast ratio, lack of a touch overlay and the specialized coatings are the features that make a display sunlight readable.

Brightness of 1500 + nits is required to over come poor sunlight readable design and even then it appears washed out compared to a properly designed display.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 20th 14, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Friday, 17 October 2014 08:15:51 UTC+2, Duster wrote:
With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?

Thanks,

Michael

Besides the screen brightness, there are a few other questions I'd ask such as:

1. If also intend using the phone for every day use, which of the two eco systems do you want to tie yourself into? Apple's payware, do-it-our-way-only system or the more flexible, more open Android eco system?

2. Does Apple cover accidental damage?
With Samsung you get also get two free, no questions asked, free repairs for accidental screen or water damage. (ADH Premium)

3. Battery life. Not having to use external power saves on the expense and hassle of extra cabling and an external power source to keep the device running. The Note 4 has a significant advantage over the iPhone 6 in terms of battery life.
I use the Note 2 with XCSoar and from a full charge I get 8.5 hours of continuous use which is longer than I plan to stay in the air for.
Old March 27th 17, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The kobi e readers (at least some of them) are compatible with xc soar. Shouldn't e readers be a smart way to go with the lower battery use and very little disadvantage with black and white? Has anyone tried any other eReaders with xc soar? I imagine most E readers really are not built to operate in direct sunlight, same as phones/tablets but there could be some exceptions.

The dell streak 5" is around 300 dollars now.
Old March 27th 17, 10:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 27 March 2017 12:01:14 UTC+3, wrote:
The kobi e readers (at least some of them) are compatible with xc soar. Shouldn't e readers be a smart way to go with the lower battery use and very little disadvantage with black and white? Has anyone tried any other eReaders with xc soar? I imagine most E readers really are not built to operate in direct sunlight, same as phones/tablets but there could be some exceptions.

The dell streak 5" is around 300 dollars now.

Yes and no, sunlight readability is best around, but they have problem with slow screen update, watching animated map can be pain sometimes. I tried Koko Glo HD and returned it immediately, the XCSoar did not support it (then) properly, while comments on XCSoar forum lead me to believe that was the case. Lesson learned.

Specs for good gliding computer dislay are he

- Colour display
- Over 1000 nits brightness (readability has everything to do with this, not contrast)
- Matte screen surface, unless you need a mirror in cockpit
- Touch screen

Good luck finding something that has these all.
Old March 27th 17, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 02:21:22 -0700, krasw wrote:

Specs for good gliding computer dislay are he

- Colour display - Over 1000 nits brightness (readability has everything
to do with this, not contrast)
- Matte screen surface, unless you need a mirror in cockpit - Touch
screen

The best I've used is a Medion S3747, which has a transreflective colour
display and is compatible with LK8000 (and so should be fine with XCSoar).

Its readable with full sunlight directly on its face and has an 800 mAh,
swappable battery and is very well made. It has a 3.5" display, which
suits me fine (Libelle driver, so no easy way to hang a PNA off the side
of the panel).

IMO they're worth grabbing if you can find one. Picture here, positioned
in apple tree for cuteness rather than to show sunlight readability:
http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/pna/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 27th 17, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 27 March 2017 12:53:54 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie wrote:
The best I've used is a Medion S3747, which has a transreflective colour
display and is compatible with LK8000 (and so should be fine with XCSoar).

Support for Windows CE has been dropped from XCSoar in version 7 and higher.
You can still run the older versions on CE though.
I find it hard to believe devices running Windows CE are still being sold.
Old March 27th 17, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 04:39:56 -0700, Surge wrote:

On Monday, 27 March 2017 12:53:54 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie wrote:
The best I've used is a Medion S3747, which has a transreflective
colour display and is compatible with LK8000 (and so should be fine
with XCSoar).

Support for Windows CE has been dropped from XCSoar in version 7 and
higher.
You can still run the older versions on CE though.
I find it hard to believe devices running Windows CE are still being
sold.

None of the WinCE/WinMobile PNAs have been on sale since shortly after MS
dropped support for WinMobile (soon after Windows 8 was released IIRC)
but, like the Streak, they can still be found on eBay etc.

I'm still wondering what I'll use next: possibly something based on a
RaspberryPi Zero. The only problem is that available COTS touch screens
may not be usable in bright sunlight.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 27th 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

I have been using the Galaxy Note 4 with CAI302/XCSoar for some time now and IT IS sunlight readable (with sunglasses on). Note 5 is said to be still better, and the fatal Galaxy Note 7, which I could use for few days before recall, was simply sensational with its double light sensors (front and rear, and thus not changing the brightness all the time in circling in a thermal) and reaching 1000 nits.

This coming Wednesday, March 29, Samsung will present the new Galaxy S8, which in the 'plus' version is expected to have a 6.2" display. Later in the year the Note 8 is expected to have 6.4" display. Let's save money and wait, while the old Note 4 is still working, with cheap replacement OEM batteries ($18).

Tom BravoMike