Canopy jetison not.

Old March 27th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Canopy jetison not.

Thought I would share an interesting experience from this weekend flying rides. Most Sundays I fly rides at the local glider FBO. My last ride of the day was a former military air traffic controller. When giving her the safety briefing I clearly explained the jettison handle, and canopy release lever on the Grob 103. She told me that she had been in many military aircraft could clearly see the red placard and knew not to touch the lever. I also told her we would both close and open canopy so please do not touch the opening lever, if she felt she needed to grab anything, grab her shoulder harness. We released from tow and she had wanted to try a small little tiny wing over, you guessed it, she grabbed both the release lever and jettison lever. I told to let go immediately as I stopped the maneuver as quickly as possible. Spent the remainder of the flight flying as level as possible as that was what she wanted. I was rather surprised that the only two things I told her not to touch were the first things she grabbed, and the wing over was just about the smallest one possible.
Old March 27th 17, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Maybe next time, start off the maneuver with them grabbing their shoulder harness. ;-)

Glad you didn't lose the canopy.
Old March 27th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tell them what you want them to do, not what you don't want them to do. The less passengers know the safer you both are.

Old March 28th 17, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

My kids do exactly as I Say, It’s just that the "Not" is never heard / recognized.
Old March 28th 17, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

=
harness. We released from tow and she had wanted to try a small

little
tiny=
wing over, you guessed it, she grabbed both the release lever and
jettison=
lever. I told to let go immediately as I stopped the maneuver as

quickly
=
as possible. Spent the remainder of the flight flying as level as
possible=
as that was what she wanted. I was rather surprised that the

only two
thi=
ngs I told her not to touch were the first things she grabbed, and

the
wing=
over was just about the smallest one possible.

My brief to all first time passengers/students is to tuck their
thumbs either behind the harness or the parachute straps,
whichever is more comfortable. I also make a point of never doing
anything remotely aerobatic on the first flight.

Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard Casey[_2_] Soaring 6 April 12th 16 05:09 PM
HP-14 Canopy [email protected] Soaring 0 July 4th 11 05:00 PM
F-80 canopy 10132297 Aviation Marketplace 0 January 24th 10 10:41 PM
K8 Canopy Jack Wyman Soaring 0 June 9th 04 08:36 PM
SGS 2-32 canopy? Gary Boggs Soaring 0 January 7th 04 12:21 AM