Gliderport Fined $9,000 over Use of 123.3Mhz

Old June 24th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default Gliderport Fined $9,000 over Use of 123.3Mhz

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...-09-1258A1.doc

FYI - One of our proactive members found this article about an FCC
fine of $9,000 against the Texas Soaring Association (TSA) in Lubbock
TX because their airport's radio license had expired. It appears what
tripped this trigger was the TSA complaining to the FCC about
"interference" on 123.3. Boy, did that backfire.

We looked into it and my own gliderport's license had also expired -
which we are *QUICKLY* fixing. You might want to look into that at
your port.

It is unclear to me if the license relates to 123.3, or the frequency
on the sectional or a general FCC license that a particular airport is
legal to broadcast, or a combination. I also don't understand if this
has to do with the base station, handhelds, airplane radio or totally
unrelated to the hardware being used. I do know that my own use of a
radio in my glider no longer requires an individual license.

I'd also like to understand what controls the use of 123.3 (or 123.5)
which I have been told is for "training" use. True? By whom? The
FAA? FCC? Note that the FCC complaint says that TSA complained about
interference from "commercial jets inbound to Lubbock, Texas" (on
123.3) which surprised me.

Any information about how the FAA/FCC handles airport licensing would
be interesting.

My $0.02.

- John DeRosa
Old June 24th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Correction, TSA is located in "Midlothian, Texas, which is itself at
the southern edge of the Dallas-Fort Worth area" according to their
web site http://www.texassoaring.org/.
Old June 24th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 24, 2:54*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...b0608/DA-09-12...

[...]

AC90-50D, Aircraft Support is the FAA designated use for both.

We verify our license at the first regular meeting of the newly
elected board annually. Make it an order of business item for seating
all new boards. IIRC ground stations licenses are good for 10 years.
For those clubs not having a club house/hangar where you hold the
meetings, make it a January agenda item.

Frank Whiteley

Old June 25th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Jun 24, 4:54*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
[...]

In the name of deficit reduction, I move we shutter the FCC.

-T8
Old June 25th 09, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

For everybody that's always thought how do they know?

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[Revised as of October 1, 2008]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR87]

[Page 223-224]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 87_AVIATION SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart K_Aviation Support Stations

Sec. 87.319 Scope of service.

Aviation support stations are used for the following types of
operations:
(a) Pilot training;
(b) Coordination of soaring activities between gliders, tow
aircraft
and land stations;
(c) Coordination of activities between free balloons or lighter-
than-air aircraft and ground stations;
(d) Coordination between aircraft and aviation service
organizations
located on an airport concerning the safe and efficient portal-to-
portal
transit of the aircraft, such as the types of fuel and ground
services
available; and
(e) Promotion of safety of life and property.

[[Page 224]]

Sec. 87.321 Supplemental eligibility.

Each applicant must certify as to its eligibility under the scope
of
service described above.

[63 FR 68958, Dec. 14, 1998]

Sec. 87.323 Frequencies.

(a) 121.500 MHz: Emergency and distress only.
(b) The frequencies 121.950, 123.300 and 123.500 MHz are
available
for assignment to aviation support stations used for pilot training,
coordination of lighter-than-air aircraft operations, or coordination
of
soaring or free ballooning activities. Applicants for 121.950 MHz
must
coordinate their proposal with the appropriate FAA Regional Spectrum
Management Office. The application must specify the FAA Region
notified
and the date notified. Applicants for aviation support land stations
may
request frequency(ies) based upon their eligibility although the
Commission reserves the right to specify the frequency of assignment.
Aviation support mobile stations will be assigned 123.300 and 123.500
MHz. However, aviation support mobile stations must operate only on a
noninterference basis to communications between aircraft and aviation
support land stations.
(c) The frequency 122.775 MHz and, secondary to aeronautical
multicom stations, the frequency 122.850 MHz are available for
assignment to aviation support stations. These frequencies may be
used
for communications between aviation service organizations and
aircraft
in the airport area. These frequencies must not be used for air
traffic
control purposes or to transmit information pertaining to runway,
wind
or weather conditions.
(d) The frequency 3281.0 kHz is available for assignment to
aviation
support stations used for coordination of lighter-than-air aircraft
operations.

[53 FR 28940, Aug. 1, 1988, as amended at 63 FR 68958, Dec. 14, 1998]

Old June 25th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Here's some more good reading about frequency allocation:
http://www.jneuhaus.com/fccindex/aviation.html
Old June 25th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

[...]

I would think that the absence of complaints against TSA for use of
the frequency during the violation period would be grounds to appeal
for a significant reduction in the forfeiture. Note these are
proposed forfeitures. TSA is also a 501c(3) charitable organization.
That means that their corporate purpose includes a defined public
benefit. Said forfeiture would impact their ability to fully meet
that goal, regardless of ability to pay.

Frank Whiteley
Old June 26th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
r.t.s.

I pulled this from the FCC website:

Licensing

On October 25, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket
No. 96-82 (text) eliminating the individual licensing requirement for
all aircraft, including scheduled air carriers, air taxis and general
aviation aircraft operating domestically. This means that you do not
need a license to operate a two-way VHF radio, radar, or emergency
locator transmitter (ELT) aboard aircraft operating domestically.

I guess TSA must have a base station. I am not sure what type of
license is needed for hand-held radios.
Someone should contact TSA and find out the details.

Old June 26th 09, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jun 25, 5:52*pm, "r.t.s." wrote:
I pulled this from the FCC website:

Licensing

On October 25, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket
No. 96-82 (text) eliminating the individual licensing requirement for
all aircraft, including scheduled air carriers, air taxis and general
aviation aircraft operating domestically. This means that you do not
need a license to operate a two-way VHF radio, radar, or emergency
locator transmitter (ELT) aboard aircraft operating domestically.

I guess TSA must have a base station. *I am *not sure what type of
license is needed for hand-held radios.
Someone should contact TSA and find out the details.

Did you read the link provided? That's a lot of details already. They
unfortunately made two mistakes, the first was not renewing the
license, the second of which was right up there with the Pegase owner
asking the FAA about airframe hours and inspections. I think there is
a moral here about not asking government bureaucracies for help unless
you know your ass is well covered.

Information on base station licensing and handhelds etc. is all
documented on the FCC web site. e.g.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...craft_stations

To operate a handheld or car mounted mobile etc. outside an aircraft,
e.g. by a glider ground crew, you need the same license as TSA did not
renew i.e. a Ground Station Authorization for Aviation Support
Services. I was goign to start a submission for a handheld to see how
painful that was on the FCC ULS website, but it's down for nightly
maintenance... (I presume the only justification for how bad ULS is as
a Web application is the development went to the lowest bidder).

Darryl
Old June 28th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Does anyone know what the Fee is for the 10yr FCC certificate application
for a base station or mobile mount?