What's on YOUR Christmas list?

Old December 21st 03, 04:00 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:JjiFb.607170$HS4.4442800@attbi_s01...

However, the older 20XL has developed another intermittent problem with

the
left ear again. But the two 15s seem to be fine for now, after multiple
repairs.

Moral of the story: Don't buy any old LightSpeeds on Ebay.

Am I to understand that the Lightspeeds that you have had all the grief with
over the past few years were purchased used?

Old December 21st 03, 10:17 PM
PaulaJay1

In article M58Fb.616231$Fm2.554912@attbi_s04, "Jay Honeck"
writes:

If my autopilot, which is slaved to those
instruments, had been engaged when the AI slowly leaned over, would the
autopilot have followed it right into the ground?

No, when the plane starts its slow (and increasing) turn, your wife says, "Why
is that laying over like that?" (pointing to the AI). And you start hand
flying the plane, pull the secondary air on, and talk to Center about where is
the nearest and best repair FBO. At least that is what happened to me. The
Memphis Center was very helpful in making landline calls to a couple of FBOs
and setting up repair at Batesville, Arkansas while I was still in the air.
Since you can't takeoff with secondary air, I had to find a repair FBO before
landing. Batesville did a super job and I recomend them.

Chuck
Old December 21st 03, 10:44 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo..................

You are supposed to guess... G

Actually, the variants , types/styles are far to numerous to
install as standard except in small "casual" boats.

Dave

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:55:52 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I've already bought my wife a knot meter for the boat. Mothing new for

the
plane. I'm still recovering from the 430 last year.

What the heck is a "knot meter"? A speedometer? (Or, more correctly, a
"water-speed indicator"?)

Don't boats come with those things standard?

Old December 21st 03, 10:49 PM

Ummm...well....

Groping our way through fog, timing distance to marks etc, we
like to know our speed very accurately..

And for "trimming " the planing angle of a large planing hull,
a knot meter that reads in 1 knt increments (digital) is VERY useful
for maxing fuel economy...

Capt Dave..

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:03:09 -0600, Russell Kent
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

What the heck is a "knot meter"? A speedometer? (Or, more correctly, a
"water-speed indicator"?)

Yep. I assume for historical reasons they are called "knot meters".

Don't boats come with those things standard?

I know it's hard to believe, but unlike airplanes, speed isn't a critical
parameter on a boat. :-)

Russell Kent

Old December 22nd 03, 12:37 AM
Jay Honeck

Am I to understand that the Lightspeeds that you have had all the grief
with
over the past few years were purchased used?

No -- I bought them all new, from dealers. (Except for the one that
LightSpeed gave me, gratis.)

I'm saying don't buy anything older than the new "3G" line of LightSpeed
headsets, cuz the older ones are junk.

(And, just cuz I said something to you yesterday, one of my 15s started
crackling like crazy today every time my son moved his head. The wire
inside the microphone boom must be failing, again...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 22nd 03, 12:39 AM
Jay Honeck

Groping our way through fog, timing distance to marks etc, we
like to know our speed very accurately..

Isn't that what GPS is for? :-)

Last time I was on a boat, on Lake Michigan, my friend had a GPS the size of
a color TV. He could dock his boat without looking out the window!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA