Check in ...East Coast BLACKOUT

Old August 15th 03, 05:54 AM
Montblack

Default Check in ...East Coast BLACKOUT

How you folks "out east" doing tonight?

Check in when you get back up and running.

--
Montblack

Old August 15th 03, 06:18 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .
How you folks "out east" doing tonight?

Check in when you get back up and running.

Figured they be on using their laptops hooked to cell phones by candle
light...
{;-)

Old August 15th 03, 02:37 PM
Peter R.

Montblack ) wrote:

How you folks "out east" doing tonight?

Check in when you get back up and running.

We lost power, but were fortunate to have it come back on about four
hours later.

--
Peter

Old August 15th 03, 03:02 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Montblack" said:
How you folks "out east" doing tonight?

Check in when you get back up and running.

Down from 4:30 pm to 6:10 am.

Man, I need a better UPS. This one cacked out in the time it took me to
recognize the beep and rush down the stairs.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
"I complained that finding a solution to problems with Microsoft software

Old August 15th 03, 04:17 PM
Tom Fleischman

Montblack ) wrote:

How you folks "out east" doing tonight?

Check in when you get back up and running.

My power finally came back on at around 01:30. Interestingly, 2 blocks
north, 2 blocks south and 1 block east had power by 22:00.

Go figure.
Old August 15th 03, 05:38 PM
Montblack

("Greg Burkhart" wrote)
Figured they be on using their laptops hooked to cell phones by candle
light...

Find a news truck with a satellite dish, CNN, FOX, CBS, etc. Hijack the
truck - drive it around the corner and post back to rec.aviation*. They must
have some sort of satellite-internet uplink *somewhere* in there with all of
those wall mounted TV monitors.

Newsgroups aren't an obsession or even an addiction, I would call it more of
an acquired taste.

--
Montblack

Old August 15th 03, 07:19 PM
Peter R.

Roger Halstead ) wrote:

BTW, that "out east" is kind of a slight to the people who are without
power. It extends to the west as far as (and apparently started in
Ohio). It also covers a good portion of lower Michigan

Roger, any point east of California is out east to some!

--
Peter

Old August 15th 03, 07:33 PM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:02:01 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I had dropped into Sky Manor Airport (N40) just before 4:00 for a drink
(diet Coke) after flying up the Hudson with a couple of friends. A few
minutes after 4:00 the lights went out for no more than 10 seconds and then
came back on. We took off a bit later and when we got back to Somerset
(SMQ) found out that most of the Northeast was blacked out. We had power at
home. My next door neighbor got home from the City around nine having taken
one of his company's helicopters from Manhattan to Newark. His company was
charging $200 for a ride from Manhattan to EWR! Who says you can't make a
small fortune in aviation?

All it takes to make a small fortune in aviation is to start out with
a big one. At $200 in a normal business helicopter they probably
weren't even covering the variable costs.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)