Uh-oh: CBS News to air anti-GA hit piece on Wed. 1/14

Old January 14th 04, 05:00 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

AOPA has something up on this on the home page.

Just saw the teaser via the CBS website. I sent them a well-reasoned and
thoughtful e-mail, which of course means it will be promptly discarded.
Still it can't hurt.

I'm going to try and record it tonight on video tape.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"

Old January 14th 04, 05:01 PM
Gene Seibel

I like that!!!
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...

The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we see
news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the airport,
we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground, and smash his
camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not allow the airport or
personnel associated with the airport to be photographed or interviewed
because that would compromise security. They want tough security measures?
Then let's give them tough security measures!

Old January 14th 04, 05:34 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
om...
AOPA has something up on this on the home page.

Just saw the teaser via the CBS website. I sent them a well-reasoned and
thoughtful e-mail, which of course means it will be promptly discarded.
Still it can't hurt.

Actually it will hurt. CBS is a BUSINESS that is measured by the number or
people who watch their programming and the more feedback they get the better
(to them).

Mike
MU-2

Old January 14th 04, 05:56 PM
Eric Miller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we see
news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the

airport,
we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground, and smash

his
camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not allow the airport

or
personnel associated with the airport to be photographed or interviewed
because that would compromise security. They want tough security measures?
Then let's give them tough security measures!

Actually, tackling the media, beating the crap out of them and destroying
their equipment is just a good policy in general

Old January 14th 04, 06:08 PM
C J Campbell

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

| "Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
| om...
| AOPA has something up on this on the home page.
|
| Just saw the teaser via the CBS website. I sent them a well-reasoned
and
| thoughtful e-mail, which of course means it will be promptly discarded.
| Still it can't hurt.
|

| Actually it will hurt. CBS is a BUSINESS that is measured by the number
or
| people who watch their programming and the more feedback they get the
better
| (to them).

Actually, the email signaled to CBS that their show will be watched by every
pilot in the country. No doubt there are CBS executives sitting around
saying, "That worked pretty well. Let's do it again."

Old January 14th 04, 06:11 PM
Judah

Now THAT's an idea I like!

"C J Campbell" wrote in
:

Old January 14th 04, 06:29 PM
Andrew Gideon

C J Campbell wrote:

Actually, the email signaled to CBS that their show will be watched by
every pilot in the country. No doubt there are CBS executives sitting
around saying, "That worked pretty well. Let's do it again."

So here I am, ready to write something. I see your point, but what
alternative is there to complaining? I don't like the idea of ignoring it.

What do people suggest?

BTW, I was planning to ask when they'll be discussing the fact that trucks
can go anywhere without flight plans or talking to ground traffic control.
Considering how often trucks have been used in terrorist attacks, both
world-wide and in the US, this is terrifying.

I wasn't even going to mention that I'm a pilot (it's not really relevant to
my point).

- Andrew

Old January 14th 04, 07:46 PM
Max T, CFI

Here's the email I sent to our CBS channel 5 in S.F. last night.
So far no response.
Max T, MCFI

Brian,
Regarding the teaser for Wednesday's CBS Evening News:
"There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country with little or no security. How can that be after
9-11? We'll have the story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News."

You might want to consider on the local news going to a local airport and showing people how small these planes are,
how little they carry, and hence how tiny a threat they are compared to airliners carrying thousands of gallons of
gasoline.

From the www.aopa.org website, AOPA President Phil Boyer testified before congress in 2001 that "in this national
tragedy, it was airline security that was breached, and airline transport category equipment used as weapons. However,
general aviation was the last allowed to return to the sky, and not all GA is yet flying. "We're not talking about big
airplanes," Boyer told Congress. "We're talking about 4-place, single-engine aircraft that are on average 30 years old,
cost the same as a car, and have the same weight and kinetic energy of a car."

You only have to look at the pictures of the Cessna that the teenager flew into a building in Tampa to see that these
planes are incapable of causing much damage. Most of these planes carry so little fuel they don't even burn when
there's an accident.

Give me a call if you want to talk further. I'll be in a meeting from 9-11AM, but should otherwise be free.
best regards,
xxxxx

Old January 14th 04, 08:01 PM
Jim

Great points. Another would be the relatively small amount of fuel they
hold compared to the semi tractors running the roads these days. When
room so they can put on up to 300 gallons of diesel fuel. Much much more
than your typical 172.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Max T, CFI" wrote in message
Here's the email I sent to our CBS channel 5 in S.F. last night.
So far no response.
Max T, MCFI

Brian,
Regarding the teaser for Wednesday's CBS Evening News:
"There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country with

little or no security. How can that be after
9-11? We'll have the story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News."

You might want to consider on the local news going to a local airport and

showing people how small these planes are,
how little they carry, and hence how tiny a threat they are compared to

airliners carrying thousands of gallons of
gasoline.

From the
www.aopa.org website, AOPA President Phil Boyer testified before
congress in 2001 that "in this national