Piper?

Old April 26th 04, 02:35 AM
raj

Default Piper?

I am considering a new Piper Archer - anyone had experience with these
and what have you found?

Is new worth it if you can afford it?

thanks

Raj

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old April 26th 04, 02:53 AM
EDR

In article , raj
wrote:

I am considering a new Piper Archer - anyone had experience with these
and what have you found?
Is new worth it if you can afford it?

Get a Six X.
More seats, more load, more room, more speed, higher resale.
Old April 26th 04, 04:39 AM
Jeff

the 6x is actually pretty slow, at least I was disappointed in its cruise
speed in the article I read about it. Also the insurance is ALLOT higher for
it then an archer because of the additional seats.

Old April 26th 04, 03:28 PM
Dude

New is worth it if you can afford it and its worth it to you.

Especially if you can depreciate it.

I would strongly suggest that you first consider your mission with a few
people to ensure that the Archer is a good plane for you.

If the Archer meets your needs. I would also look at the Tiger and the
Diamond Star. I think Tiger will pay you cash if you buy the competitors
plane after looking at theirs. Also, the Diamond has a lot going for it for
not much more cash.

The Archer's big draw is the Piper step up program and available air
conditioning option.

You may even want to look at the new 182. It is much higher in cash, but
also has the a/c.

Old April 26th 04, 06:05 PM
CanadianPilot

We owned a Archer few years back great plane to fly forgiving, cheap to
maintenance lots of after market part knowledgeable mechanic and popular for
resale.

For the new if you are in the state great with the new tax rules on
depreciation, here north of the border we don't have that luxury for new
plane so not that attractive. And the new Archer is the same as the Archer
II only the place of few buttons is different.

But one thing buy the best equipped one you will save money on the long run
because after few months you will want the extra.

Good luck in your search.

Andrew

Old April 26th 04, 06:15 PM
Dave

I have a Six-300 (70's vintage). the insurance is $1500/year for me,
a pilot with 50 hours in type, 700 Total and Comm/IFR rated. That's
also a hull value of $100K.

I don't find my cruise(about 140 KTAS) to be too slow, given the sheer
size and weight of the plane being propelled by a single 300hp engine.
If I applied some speed mods, new paint, etc. I might get a few more
knots.

Sure, a retract 6(a.k.a. Saratoga/Lance) would be nice and give a
little more. And, a Bonanza would give a lot more, but it's not
nearly as heavy an airframe, nor does it have the space. And, of
course, that's a much bigger insurance burden.

So, to answer your original question, the Archer has been refined and
honed over many years. It's as good a 4 seater as any. The 180hp
engine makes it easy to carry 4 adults and even some bags if you're
not all too heavy. But the Six makes it comfortable to carry 4 full
size adults, lots of bags, and still have room left over (for 2 more!)

Personally, moving from a 140(same cabin as a 180) to the Six was a
huge jump in space. I think the 140/180 fuselage is 40" interior
wide. The Six is 49". Now THAT'S wide. At least that's what she
said....when she got in.

Jeff wrote in message ...
the 6x is actually pretty slow, at least I was disappointed in its cruise
speed in the article I read about it. Also the insurance is ALLOT higher for
it then an archer because of the additional seats.

Old April 26th 04, 09:21 PM
Jay Honeck

I am considering a new Piper Archer - anyone had experience with these
and what have you found?

If you are looking for an Archer, you would do well to search for a good,
used Pathfinder or Dakota.

It is basically an Archer airframe (with some substantial beefing-up) with
an O-540, 6 cylinder, 235 horsepower Lycoming engine. It will out-perform
a new Archer in every category, and has one of the largest useful loads
available in a 4-seat aircraft.

Best of all, it will run you "only" from $80 - $120K.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 27th 04, 06:17 AM
Tony

I have got to say It but the Six 260-300 has one ugly wing. My dad
looked into buying one untill the comanche came along. I have flow a
1970's or 80's 181 and it is nice. Just like any old 4 fixed gear
excluding the 182 and higher

PA24-250 ---- cant get a better plane for the money

Old April 27th 04, 10:36 AM
Jeff

I looked at cherokee 6's after selling my cherokee 180 and after the insurance company not
liking my original choice of upgrades (comanche 400), I had heard they were fast and could
carry a good load, The cruise speed, to me, seemed kinda slow, the useful was not what I
expected, so I settled with the turbo arrow, 150 KTAS at 65% power (14000 ft does around 165
ktas), with full fuel I can still carry 600 lbs.
cabin is allot smaller then the six tho. It was probably just my expectations, but I had
thought it was faster by the way people talked about it.

Jeff wrote in message ...
the 6x is actually pretty slow, at least I was disappointed in its cruise
speed in the article I read about it. Also the insurance is ALLOT higher for
it then an archer because of the additional seats.

Old April 27th 04, 10:41 AM
Jeff

the 6 cylinder engines run nice and smooth compared to the 4 cylinder ones.
That was one thing I noticed fast about my arrow, its also something others,
who do not fly in 6 cylinder planes notice as soon as the engine starts.