Sharing Costs

Old May 15th 04, 03:53 AM
Eddie Sanderford

Default Sharing Costs

I have a Cessna 172 that is not flown very often. I have been approached by
an EAA chapter that wants to use my craft for their Young Eagles training
program and have offered to pay an hourly rate for use of the aircraft in
non-commercial operations. I have a non commercial insurance policy and
could "name" the two pilots who would be piloting the aircraft. The rate of
reimbursement would be calculated on the operating cost (including fixed
cost, engine and avionics reserve, airframe maintenance, etc.)

I can't get a definitive answer from the FAA if this would be allowable
under the "shared expense" provisions of the FARs Part 91.

I would appreciate comments from any who has expreience with this type of
arrangement.

Thanks

Old May 15th 04, 12:45 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Eddie Sanderford" wrote in message

I have a Cessna 172 that is not flown very often. I have been approached

by
an EAA chapter that wants to use my craft for their Young Eagles training
program and have offered to pay an hourly rate for use of the aircraft in
non-commercial operations. I have a non commercial insurance policy and
could "name" the two pilots who would be piloting the aircraft. The rate

of

If you are not doing the flying then this is not an FAA issue in regard to a
commercial operation. The only potential FAA issue would be if you need
100-hour inspections, but if you are supplying only the airplane and not the
pilot then it would not be considered a "for hire" operation by the FAA and
thus you do not need 100-hour inspections.

The main issue I see here would be for you to check with your insurer that
you are covered when your airplane is used in this manner. Some companies
offer "limited commercial" policies for this reason. Some policies do not
consider this to be a commercial operation if you just recover costs. Some
policies would indeed consider this type of operation to be commercial --
again I say "commercial" operation is a concern not from an FAA standpoint
but rather from an insurance standpoint.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old May 17th 04, 04:02 AM
BTIZ

this is not a shared expense issue... because you are not in the aircraft at
the time of usage to share the expense..

this may border on "providing a rental aircraft".. it does not matter that
you only rent if for cost.. or even at a loss.. the Fed's don't care if you
are a poor businessman... but it is the "intent" of renting..

BT