Missing flight plans

Old August 3rd 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Default Missing flight plans

You were on a cross-country without a flight plan?

He was ?
Oh mi gawd, doesn't he know that will cause your engine to stall and
then you die !!!!

denny

Old August 3rd 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Greg Copeland[_1_]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 00:35:09 +0000, Travis Marlatte wrote:

You said that you couldn't raise FSS so I assume that you tried. FSS
probably heard your radio calls even though you never heard their response.
They may have opened your flight plan as a default - or maybe your initial
radio calls included the request.

That's what the guy on the other end of the phone said. That seems pretty
odd to me.

Greg

Old August 3rd 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Kyler Laird

"Denny" writes:

You were on a cross-country without a flight plan?

He was ?
Oh mi gawd, doesn't he know that will cause your engine to stall and
then you die !!!!

And after you die there will be an even *longer* delay before anyone
comes looking for your wreckage (assuming that you didn't have Following
and your ELT didn't function properly and no one was expecting to hear
from you).

Please, people, think of the aging GA fleet. If people go flying around
without flight plans we're going to lose a lot of parts that are
valuable to those of us flying old planes.

--kyler
Old August 3rd 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler[_1_]

Paul kgyy wrote:
Twice in 2 days I've filed VFR flight plans only to have FSS unable to
find them when I called on radio after takeoff. One was filed through
Duats at 9PM for noon next day (and left at noon). The other was filed
with a briefer at Terre Haute at 10PM for 8AM next day (and left on
time).

In both cases I had to re-file over the radio.

DUAT should be able to trace back through their logs and find out what happened.
It will help if you have the transaction number from when you filed.

A couple of ways I've had flight plans lost:
- filed with FSS, and the N-number had some digits transposed.
- filed with DUAT, and I miscalculated the zulu departure time.

Dave
Old August 3rd 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

Dave Butler wrote:
Paul kgyy wrote:
Twice in 2 days I've filed VFR flight plans only to have FSS unable to
find them when I called on radio after takeoff. One was filed through
Duats at 9PM for noon next day (and left at noon). The other was filed
with a briefer at Terre Haute at 10PM for 8AM next day (and left on
time).

In both cases I had to re-file over the radio.

DUAT should be able to trace back through their logs and find out what happened.
It will help if you have the transaction number from when you filed.

A couple of ways I've had flight plans lost:
- filed with FSS, and the N-number had some digits transposed.
- filed with DUAT, and I miscalculated the zulu departure time.

I've filed withi DUAT planning to use a specific club plane. then I
get to the airport and that one has a squawk so I take a different
plane. I've had good luck when that happens calling up ATC and telling
them that I'd like to open a flight plan that was filed with tail
number x but I need change the tail number to y and open it. I've done
this with VFR palns. So there is some flexibility there. Of course in
that case I knew what the "wrong" tail number was, if I had made a typo
they probably would never have found it.

Old August 3rd 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Greg Copeland[_1_]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 07:12:44 -0700, xyzzy wrote:
[snip]
Of course in
that case I knew what the "wrong" tail number was, if I had made a typo
they probably would never have found it.

If you file with a contact, can't they look it up that way too?

Greg

Old August 3rd 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 07:12:44 -0700, xyzzy wrote:

I've had good luck when that happens calling up ATC and telling them that
I'd like to open a flight plan that was filed with tail number x but I
need change the tail number to y and open it.

I've had last-minute plane switches too, and it never occurred to me to do
as you've done.

Thanks for mentioning it.

- Andrew

Old August 3rd 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
Please, people, think of the aging GA fleet. If people go flying around
without flight plans we're going to lose a lot of parts that are
valuable to those of us flying old planes.

--kyler

Hey Kyler... this will hit home. We just finished the annual on our Aztec.
There is a fellow based at the airport where we had the work done that has
trashed 3... yes THREE Aztec's in less than 6 months. Runway overrun taking
out the gear and nose, groundlooped the second Aztec in a
crosswind/crossrunway/into the ditch maneuver taking out the gear, then hit
a deer with the third but after it was fixed lit the left engine on fire.

Talk about being hard on the used parts inventory!

Jim

Old August 3rd 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 08/03/06 09:51, Jim Burns wrote:
"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
Please, people, think of the aging GA fleet. If people go flying around
without flight plans we're going to lose a lot of parts that are
valuable to those of us flying old planes.

--kyler

Hey Kyler... this will hit home. We just finished the annual on our Aztec.
There is a fellow based at the airport where we had the work done that has
trashed 3... yes THREE Aztec's in less than 6 months. Runway overrun taking
out the gear and nose, groundlooped the second Aztec in a
crosswind/crossrunway/into the ditch maneuver taking out the gear, then hit
a deer with the third but after it was fixed lit the left engine on fire.

Talk about being hard on the used parts inventory!

Jim

I wonder what that does to his insurance rates.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old August 3rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

My understanding is he filed a claim on the first airplane but not on #2 or
#3. I actually have the same agent as he does. I saw the agent at OSH and
inquired about our insurance which is due this month (it went down 6%). I
didn't have the guts to ask about the other pilot's situation.
Jim