Airline jobs for ex-helo drivers?

Old September 16th 04, 06:34 PM
José Herculano

Default Airline jobs for ex-helo drivers?

Just out of curiosity:

Do the airlines consider ex-helo drivers when hiring for the regular
fixed-wing piloting jobs? Any guys from the SH-60s flying Boeings?

_____________
José Herculano

Old September 16th 04, 08:07 PM
John R Weiss

Yes. However, people who have virtually nothing but helo time may have a
tougher time getting to or through the interview process. An ATP with
fixed-wing ME rating is virtually required.

"José Herculano" wrote...

Old September 17th 04, 03:00 AM
JJ McIntyre

I did the recruiting for Executive Jet (now NetJets) for a period of about
five years. As a retired Naval Aviator, P3C Squadron Commander, Amphib CO
and dual (fixed and rotary wing) qualified pilot, I advocated qualification
and was able to provide slots for H46 and heavy H53 types considering them
as meeting our internal requirements for multi-engine turbine time, provided
they could hack our fixed-wing multi-engine simulator initial evaluation
ride. I had and still have an enormous respect for the community. That
said, after operating for about three years under this interpretation of our
own rules, it became apparent to all of us in management that the 100%
bailout rate after hiring from this community was unacceptable. Practically
all of the former helo types we hired under this interpretation of our own
rules left the company as soon as they accumulated sufficient fixed-wing
turbine time to be attractive to the major airlines as First Officers,
despite the fact that by that time they were actually Citation and Hawker
Captains in our operations. As a result, we made the business decision that
multi-engine turbine time meant fixed wing time, and stopped hiring helo
pilots without the requisite hours. Lessons learned: (a) the H46/H53 guys
hacked the program remarkably well; (b) you can’t give a sailor a good deal.

Old September 17th 04, 02:33 PM
Pechs1

Jose- Just out of curiosity:

Do the airlines consider ex-helo drivers when hiring for the regular
fixed-wing piloting jobs? Any guys from the SH-60s flying Boeings? BRBR

No airlines are really hiring with the exception of Frontier and JetBlue,
AFAIK, but ya need fixed wing/jet time, not just flight time to be competative.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old September 17th 04, 04:26 PM
John R Weiss

"Pechs1" wrote...

No airlines are really hiring with the exception of Frontier and JetBlue,
AFAIK,

Southwest is hiring, as well as Atlas and Polar in the cargo world.

Old September 19th 04, 02:49 PM
Pechs1

Might have more success w/o fixed wing jet time if they don't have a sim ride.
When everybody was hiring, many airlines didn't have sim time to spare for
interviews. But if they do, you can still find sims to fly, lots of $ tho
particularly if you hire an instructor also.
I know a RIO that is flying with FedEx. Had 'copilot' time in the TA-4 from
VF-126, owned a twin bug smasher, had a commercial ME, ATP and FE written. Did
well in the sim ride, got hired.

Some used a desktop sim, like the Frasca at United, my undoing in the early
90s.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)