GPS 95 XL antenna connection.

Old November 19th 03, 03:49 AM
Shlomo Zelkine

Default GPS 95 XL antenna connection.

I have a Garmin 95XL. The Antenna would not come off the unit.
I opened the unit and found a broken part of the plastic next to the antenna.
That part holds the inner side of the connector so that it will not turn.

Garmin want $150 to check and fix the unit. (they said they will do it
for $75, but still it is too expansive).

Anyone knows of a repair shop in the NYC area that can help me?

Shlomo.
Old November 21st 03, 02:53 AM
Shlomo Zelkine

James,

Thanks for the reply.

"It is the one in the 95XL. [As opposed to the one on the antenna.]"

It is not broken at all, just can not disconnect the antenna.
I think it is a BNC with Lock Washer and a clamp nut or similar.

see:

http://www.aukconnector.com/SeriesPh...=6&GroupNo=31&

"Otherwise just use the appropriate (as in not too much)
epoxy to re-secure the connector."

well, probably not, if I can disconnect the antenna, tight the nut and
that's it.

Thanks again. you put me in the right direction.

Shlomo.

NY.

"James M. Knox" wrote in message ...
(Shlomo Zelkine) wrote in
om:

I have a Garmin 95XL. The Antenna would not come off the unit.
I opened the unit and found a broken part of the plastic next to the
antenna. That part holds the inner side of the connector so that it
will not turn.

That's a standard BNC connector. It sounds like you are talking about the
one in the 95XL, right? [As opposed to the one on the antenna.]

Anyone knows of a repair shop in the NYC area that can help me?

I'm not 100% sure what part is broken. The outer part (with the ears)
should be well secured and soldered. The inner part, while critical,
doesn't hold the two together. You can get replacement connectors from
Digikey or most any electronics parts supply store (Fry's), although I am
not sure you need one. Then it sounds like a friend with a soldering iron
if you need to replace the connector. Otherwise just use the appropriate
(as in not too much) epoxy to re-secure the connector.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721