ClearNav vs. LX 9000

Old August 28th 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch Polinsky

Default ClearNav vs. LX 9000

I searched for a comparison on the rec.aviation.soaring site for a
comparison between ClearNav and an LX 9000, but didn't find anything
directly comparing the two (I apologize if I somehow missed it). I'm
finalizing plans for a panel for a new glider and would be grateful
for any advice from users of these two flight computers (LX 8000 users
too) who have thoughts to share about the choice between them.

Mitch Polinsky
(for private replies)
(650) 224-5851 cell (if you prefer to call; I'm on west coast time)
Old August 31st 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On Aug 28, 11:39*pm, Mitch Polinsky wrote:
I searched for a comparison on the rec.aviation.soaring site for a
comparison between ClearNav and an LX 9000, but didn't find anything
directly comparing the two (I apologize if I somehow missed it). *I'm
finalizing plans for a panel for a new glider and would be grateful
for any advice from users of these two flight computers (LX 8000 users
too) who have thoughts to share about the choice between them.

Mitch Polinsky
(for private replies)
(650) 224-5851 cell (if you prefer to call; I'm on west coast time)

Mitch, I haven't used either system but have a similar decision to
make.

I choose the LX 9000 for a new glider because it has an included fully
developed proven variometer and because the options to integrate Flarm
(later PowerFlarm I understand), an artificial horizon, and a compass
into the system saves a lot of the panel space that is lost by having
the large display. Also I like SeeYou Mobile of which the 9000 uses
an adapted version.

A friend who is planning to add to his current glider chooses the
ClearNav display because he prefers the display and software and
because he already has an artificial horizon, a Flarm, a compass and a
Cambridge 302 to drive the ClearNav display and he can mount the
display on an arm like a big PDA. He hopes that the ClearNav vario
will be a success and that he will be able to replace the 302 with it
when it is proven.

John Galloway
Old August 31st 11, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

I am also very interested in hearing actual experience with either of
these systems.

Another one that seems like a pretty interesting option is the new LX
Navigation's MiniMapPro.

Old September 3rd 11, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

It is interesting to note, and visible in the LX Navigation brochure, that
the software adopted for MiniMap is.. LK 8000 .
It does look like an LX 8000, in fact. But it is not!

Old September 3rd 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 9/2/2011 4:14 PM, PCool wrote:

It is interesting to note, and visible in the LX Navigation brochure,
that the software adopted for MiniMap is.. LK 8000 .
It does look like an LX 8000, in fact. But it is not!

Another one that seems like a pretty interesting option is the new LX
Navigation's MiniMapPro.

According to the LX website...

Running programs: SeeYou Mobile (PNA version), Winpilot (PNA
version), Strepla, Pocket FMS
Free ware programs: LK8000, XCsoar

So, lots of choices for the unit.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old September 3rd 11, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

That's the old MiniMap, Eric. The MiniMap Pro is a different thing
http://www.lxnavigation.si/avionics/
in fact its box is very very similar to the LX8000 box, having knobs and
buttons.
Of course being based on CE it can run anything, like the MiniMap.
However just look at their pictures..

Old September 4th 11, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 9/2/2011 4:14 PM, PCool wrote:

It is interesting to note, and visible in the LX Navigation brochure,
that the software adopted for MiniMap is.. LK 8000 .
It does look like an LX 8000, in fact. But it is not!

Another one that seems like a pretty interesting option is the new LX
Navigation's MiniMapPro.

An interesting variation, but it still sounds like they do not intend to
limit it to one software solution. From their PDF brochu

"Suggested navigation SW is LX version of LK 8000 (derivate of XCsoar)"

"SeeYou Mobile can be also used as a navigation SW solution."

email me)
Old September 4th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Clarke

At 03:36 04 September 2011, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 9/2/2011 4:14 PM, PCool wrote:

It is interesting to note, and visible in the LX Navigation brochure,
that the software adopted for MiniMap is.. LK 8000 .
It does look like an LX 8000, in fact. But it is not!

Another one that seems like a pretty interesting option is the new LX
Navigation's MiniMapPro.

An interesting variation, but it still sounds like they do not intend to
limit it to one software solution. From their PDF brochu

"Suggested navigation SW is LX version of LK 8000 (derivate of XCsoar)"

"SeeYou Mobile can be also used as a navigation SW solution."

email me)

I am running an LX8000 with stick controller, flarm, voice and the AH
module, with the LX Navigation (not LX Nav) vario. I have just installed an
LX Mini Map as an additional screen running off the LX8000 output. There
are a couple of pictures of my panel on

http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/variometers.htm

I am running the latest beta version of LK8000 (LPCool's work) so it is an
interesting comparison to the LX8000. The whole LX8000 system is superb,
and the screen is very bright and clear. I just wish I had room for the
LX9000. The LX Mini Map display is far better than any PDA or PNA I have
used or seen, but as a touch screen it is not as bright as the LX8000.
However, it is very daylight useable and LK8000 runs well on it.

What I particularly like about the LX8000 is the ability to edit the
existing screens and program up new screens to do virtually anything you
want. LK8000 has some scope for tailoring the data and the display, but the
LX8000 is very good indeed for this. The airspace warnings on the LX8000
are excellent, at the moment not at this level on the LK8000 but as a new
user I have noted how much development continues to take place on the
LK8000 system and I expect this to improve further.

Mike

Old September 4th 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Flewett[_2_]

I run an LX8000 with all the bolt on bits including the AHRS for cloud
flying.
I have also flown a fair bit with the Clearnav. I must preface this
posting
by acknowledging you will always prefer the instrument you are most
experienced with.

For me the LX is definitely the better product. It seems to be a more
mature product in terms of funtionality, useability and asthetics. The
screen
readability in the sun is also superiour. More importantly, it is almost
completely free from all those little bugs that you only trip over once in
while. For example, the Clearnav has a habit of over lapping boxes on the
screen so you cant read the data (perhaps there is a way to fix this but I

couldnt find it quickly and easily).

The LX is also excellent for competition work and the support from the
factory is good.

Obviously, the LX is not a cheap solution but I have never regretted
spending the extra money - it is a truely excellent product.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Old September 4th 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Hello Mike

"Michael Clarke" ha
scritto nel messaggio news:4e636bc8$0$26623

http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/variometers.htm

what a beautiful cockpit you have!! You do have LCD aboard, in those pics!!
I too have an LX8000 on the club DuoDiscus and I like the Airspace system.
I am still working on the airspace functionalities on LK, in fact.

One of the big misteries for us not having ever seen a MiniMap in direct
sunlight is to discover its visibility.
Since you do have these units Mike, would you try and make some pics of them
in a bright sunny day?
I know it's hard to get one now (sunny days I mean) but in my life I could
only see one MiniMap last year in an hangar during the winter.
1000 cd seems a lot to me, but of course also the LCD coating makes the
difference under sunlight.

thanks
best!
Paolo

LXNAV Nano and LX 9000 Overview Videos Available Paul Remde Soaring 3 February 28th 11 01:58 PM
$1500 ClearNav... sisu1a Soaring 1 January 8th 11 04:01 AM
NK ClearNav now available in VGA Resolution Paul Remde Soaring 0 July 28th 09 05:26 PM
ClearNav too big? brianDG303 Soaring 9 June 13th 08 07:15 PM
28 years, 9000 hours Jay Honeck[_2_] Piloting 60 March 10th 08 01:19 PM