Different Aerial Imagery/Patrol jobs?

Old July 5th 04, 07:23 PM
TooPlaneCrazy7

Default Different Aerial Imagery/Patrol jobs?

Hi guys,
I am in the IT field and am finding out that I hate it more and more everyday.
I do not want to be working in front of a computer for the rest of my life. I
started my business and I guess I am doing okay, but I'm 23 years old and want
to fly or do something with airplanes. I keep finding myself hanging out at the
local air museums/airports here in town and can't seem to pull myself away. I
occassionally do some aerial photography work in the area and love it, but
there's not enough of that kind of work down here in South Texas.

However, I am at a loss as to what specific aviation jobs are out there in the
world. I like the following: aerial photography, wildlife, patrol (non-law
enforcement), ranches, small towns, single engine aircraft, cropdusting (if the
pay is decent), aerial firefighting.

Can someone help me connect the dots and tell me what aviation jobs may
interest me? Is there a list somewhere online where I can get an idea of the
different types of jobs involving the use of an airplane?

One more thing, I have a bit of hearing loss and so I am sure I'll be limited
on some of these jobs.

Thanks for any advice!
Old July 5th 04, 07:58 PM
pilot

I am in a similar situation except I already have my commercial license.
I used to own a computer company for many years but was bored to death
with it and decied to pursue my boyhood dream of becoming a pilot. Now
I am a pilot with no job.. lol

--
pilot

http://www.pilotboard.com I love this place!
pilot's Profile: http://www.pilotboard.com/forums/mem...tinfo&userid=1
View this thread: http://www.pilotboard.com/forums/sho...?threadid=3060

Old July 6th 04, 12:42 AM
NW_PILOT

I have been in the IT field writing code for IC chips & PCB design for the
last 8 year's. I feel like TooPlaneCrazy7 feels about it, I am getting burnt
out on it's getting very hard to find good paying jobs/contracts. That's why
I became a pilot take the stress away. All I have to say is thanks for the
few years of excellent business, so I could afford my dreams of being a
airplane owner/pilot. But I fell like I am cheating on my computer! I know
the IT industry is going south in my field fast. Next year at this time I
don't think that I will be able to find 1 good paying contract that will
support my bills and addiction to flying. Saying the IT field will pay more
is more of a dream than reality in my opinion.

"Edward Todd" wrote in message
In article ,
(TooPlaneCrazy7) wrote:

Hi guys,
I am in the IT field and am finding out that I hate it more and more
everyday.

The IT field will pay you more than piloting will. Use the IT money to
buy a plane. Then suffer thru the week knowing that you can fly all
weekend.

ET

Old July 6th 04, 01:56 AM
CVBreard

I occassionally do some aerial photography work in the area and love it, but
there's not enough of that kind of work down here in South Texas.

I wouldn't be too sure about that...

If you have construction projects of, say, a million $$ or more (apartment
complexes in particular, or governmental buildings, etc.), or have fair
commercial real estate (excluding residential) activity, you may be able to
generate "new" aerial photography business as I did.

Old July 6th 04, 03:11 AM
The Weiss Family

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
I have been in the IT field writing code for IC chips & PCB design for the
last 8 year's.

Where are you at? I've been doing similar things out on the West Coast.
FPGA design, Firmware, PCB design, and even software.
If you can stand CA, there's a ton of work (even now).
I couldn't, so I came back to NV, which has a growing tech economy.
Companies like GE, IGT, etc.

My wife and kids have gotten too accustomed to our lifestyle for me to not
be an engineer (although I can still dream).
Anyway, I'm still trying to work up to buying that first plane. I think
within the next 12-18 months I will make my first purchase.

Then I'll do what was mentioned: work all week to fly all weekend.

At the end of the day, I still enjoy being an engineer, though.
I'm pretty lucky with my job, I get to jump around and do SW, HW, FW, FPGAs,
etc, so I don't get too bored of the same thing...

Adam

Old July 6th 04, 04:20 AM
NW_PILOT

"The Weiss Family" wrote in message

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
[...]

I am in Portland, OR I will not ever move from this area again! I work for
myself I used to subcontract out to other company's and do their overflow
work it used to be steady work, Most of my work was coding for
microcontrollers and pcb design for small business, most customers projects
went only to prototype and small run production's. I have had a many go to
large scale production. I have excellent relations with my contract mfg's in
Hong Kong. I still get kicker checks in the mail when one of the larger
customers dose a reorder. That side of the industry is going away to
overseas company's. Korea is taking a lot of it away from the US market.
What is still going strong is the replacement & programming of SMT devices.
I can program over 11,000 different IC's and have full SMT rework shop. I
can handle most any surface mount rework contracts.

I was almost thinking of contracting out to aviation radio shops to fix
things they are not equipped to do like their SMT work "narco, gps, ect" but
not sure of the legal requirements would be if any to replace a part in
aircraft electronics then have the radio shop do all the final testing
certifying.

Old July 6th 04, 05:11 AM
The Weiss Family

I have excellent relations with my contract mfg's in
Hong Kong. I still get kicker checks in the mail when one of the larger
customers dose a reorder.

That sounds like a pretty cool contractor agreement! I've never heard of
that.

That side of the industry is going away to
overseas company's. Korea is taking a lot of it away from the US market.

Too bad. That sounds interesting...

I was almost thinking of contracting out to aviation radio shops to fix
things they are not equipped to do like their SMT work "narco, gps, ect"

but
not sure of the legal requirements would be if any to replace a part in
aircraft electronics then have the radio shop do all the final testing
certifying.

I often wonder that, too. In fact, I was think more of designing avionics
(nav, com, transponder, gps, etc).
I wonder what kind of insurance you need...

Adam