Career Question

Old August 21st 04, 07:13 AM

Default Career Question

FWIW, I received a BSEE in electrical engineering in 1984, and have been
working in the high tech industry since then. That has allowed me to
Learn How To Fly - starting in 1999. As a result, I have about 130
hours in helicopters and around 240 hours in fixed-wing aircraft, with
an instrument rating. I do not have an instructor rating.

As such - I am, as far as I can tell, utterly unemployable as a
commercial pilot... My engineering background is almost meaningless in
the aviation world.

So, if you want to be a career pilot, don't spend another dime on your
engineering education.. take that money and start building flight time
in helicopters. Get your CFI and build 500-1000 hours. Then, you MIGHT
find a flying job that actually pays your living expenses. At that
point, consider yourself lucky to have found such a thing.

The better path, IMO, is to stick to your guns and get that four year
degree in engineering. If you're competent and reasonably lucky you can
land a job that will allow you to fly as a *hobby* and not as a way to
make ends meet... That's what I've been doing - it's ridiculously
expensive to fly helicopters as a hobby but it can happen if you're
determined and passionate about flying.

YMMV,

Dave Blevins

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:13:17 -0400, "Neb Okla"
wrote:

I'm currently an Engineering student looking at about 2 years of full time
school to finish. I'd like to earn my helicopter pilots license in (or very
shortly after) that time frame.

What types of career options are open to Engineers (probably electrical or
computer) who can fly helis?

Thanks,
Neb