Hurricane hunters?

Old September 2nd 05, 08:47 AM
xerj

Default Hurricane hunters?

The site is down at the moment, but if I'm understanding it correctly, do
these guys actually penetrate hurricanes in P3s and Gulfstreams?

Do they go IMC flying into hurricane cloud???

If so, how the hell are they not constantly stalling as they are buffetted
by the turbulence? I'm pretty sure that they'd slow down to maneuvering
speed, and I'd assume that there'd be moments when windshear would be
drastic

How the hell are these flights even technically possible??

Old September 2nd 05, 12:12 PM
Denny

Yup... They do shake, rattle, and roll

Old September 2nd 05, 01:33 PM
Bob Moore

"xerj" wrote
The site is down at the moment, but if I'm understanding it correctly,
do these guys actually penetrate hurricanes in P3s and Gulfstreams?
Do they go IMC flying into hurricane cloud???

Yes, although I was not a "Hurricane Hunter", while on patrol in the
Taiwan Strait, I did fly through a hurricane (typhoon) at an altitude
of about 500'. Yes, it was rough! Yes, we were IMC a lot of the time.
Yes, there are a lot better things to do for a living with an airplane.
Yes, I have friends who flew for the "Hurricane Hunters" after they
left the Navy. No, I don't want to do that again.

Bob Moore
A US Navy LT back then in 1967
VP-46
Old September 2nd 05, 02:40 PM
Stefan

Bob Moore wrote:

Yes, there are a lot better things to do for a living with an airplane.

As far as I know, over all those years of "hurricane hunting", there has
never been an accident.

Stefan
Old September 2nd 05, 05:15 PM
Dave

Stefan wrote:

As far as I know, over all those years of "hurricane hunting", there has
never been an accident.

Stefan

I think there was one, but I don't remember when or details. I perused
the "Hurricane Hunters" site in depth last year, and as I recall, there
is an optimum altitude for eyewall penetration to avoid worst
conditions. 5- 10 thousand feet maybe.

Amazing young men in their flying machines!

~D
Old September 2nd 05, 06:14 PM
Stubby

Stefan wrote:
Bob Moore wrote:

Yes, there are a lot better things to do for a living with an airplane.

As far as I know, over all those years of "hurricane hunting", there has
never been an accident.

There have been several fatal accidents. Check the left column in:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurr...rricanes_x.htm
Old September 2nd 05, 07:10 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"xerj" writes:

The site is down at the moment, but if I'm understanding it correctly, do
these guys actually penetrate hurricanes in P3s and Gulfstreams?

Do they go IMC flying into hurricane cloud???

If so, how the hell are they not constantly stalling as they are buffetted
by the turbulence? I'm pretty sure that they'd slow down to maneuvering
speed, and I'd assume that there'd be moments when windshear would be
drastic

How the hell are these flights even technically possible??

Fascinating article on a semi-accidental penetration of Hugo in a
WP-3D (the accident was they didn't notice the storm had been
upgraded, and they probably wouldn't have chosen to make the
penetration given the actual state of the storm). With pictures.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/hugo1.asp
Old September 2nd 05, 07:13 PM
Stefan

Stubby wrote:

There have been several fatal accidents. Check the left column in:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurr...rricanes_x.htm

I stand corrected: In the last 50 years, there was one accident. This
last accident has been thirty years ago.

Of course it needs a lot of courage and knowledge to undertake such a
flight.

Stefan
Old September 2nd 05, 08:09 PM
Stubby

Stefan wrote:
Stubby wrote:

There have been several fatal accidents. Check the left column in:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurr...rricanes_x.htm

I stand corrected: In the last 50 years, there was one accident. This
last accident has been thirty years ago.

Please read the cited article. 4 flights, 34 men lost:

Fatal flights

Since the first hurricane flights in 1944, four airplanes have gone down
in storms. All of the men aboard the four airplanes were lost.

Oct. 26, 1952: An Air Force WB-29 was lost in Typhoon Wilma over the
Pacific with 10 men aboard.
Sept. 26, 1955: A Navy P-2V-5F disappeared in Hurricane Janet over the
Caribbean Sea with nine Navy men and two Canadian journalists aboard.
Jan. 15, 1958: An Air Force WB-50 disappeared southeast of Guam while
flying into Super Typhoon Ophelia with nine men aboard.
Oct. 12, 1974: An Air Force WC-130 went down in Typhoon Bess over the
South China Sea with six men aboard. Search airplanes picked up signals
from a crash-location radio beacon and reported seeing seat cushions and
oxygen bottles, which could have been from the airplane, in the water

Source: Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth by
Dr. Bob Sheets and Jack Williams.
Old September 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
Stefan

Stubby wrote:

I stand corrected: In the last 50 years, there was one accident. This
last accident has been thirty years ago.

Oct. 26, 1952:
Sept. 26, 1955:
Jan. 15, 1958:

Oct. 12, 1974:

But this is exactly what I wrote. (Ok, should have been 47 years.)

Stefan

Hurricane Dennis cont'd Dan Luke Piloting 33 July 19th 05 04:45 AM
Hurricane AllanStern Military Aviation 1 September 16th 04 06:42 PM
How is hurricane Frances treating you? Gilan Piloting 4 September 7th 04 05:16 AM
"Hurricane Hunters" Dave Piloting 3 August 14th 04 12:49 AM
Hurricane accident Northumberland, UK Jim Corbett Military Aviation 1 December 29th 03 08:32 PM