IFR Ground Training

Old August 7th 03, 02:00 PM
Scott Lowrey

Default IFR Ground Training

[Sorry for not reading the FAQ first...]

As a soon-to-be-minted private pilot, what are the experiences of
others concerning instrument training and self-teaching?

I don't have a problem flying with my current flight school to get the
hours, but I question the need for their formal ground school and the
requisite pile of books.

I'm an engineer and have been studying instrument flight for a few
years, so I'm I'm thinking about some kind of self-paced computer
training to augment the dual time. Any pointers?

Thanks -Scott
Old August 7th 03, 02:10 PM
The Flynns

I traded in the formal ground school for the King CD's and the Jepp
Comm/Instrument text. Combine those with reading the AIM and you've got it.
Scored an 88 (92 on the PP Written after a formal ground school). So it can
definitely be done.

Suggest that you talk with your CFII so that they can also grill you some.
Good luck. It's terrific training and you'll wonder why they let you fly
without it when you're done.

--
Patrick Flynn
Sammamish, WA

m...

Old August 7th 03, 05:37 PM
MikeC

Self-study is great and you should do a lot of it anyway but I have to say
that combining it with a formal ground school made me get a lot more out of
both. Hearing others talk about it, make mistakes, and having a forced
exposure twice a week kept everything in front of me almost daily. It also
filled in the knowledge gaps where I might have misread or misunderstood
something. There's nothing like answering questions in front of your peers
for motivation. I personally don't think I can get too much exposure to the
subject and passing the tests doesn't make one anything close to an expert.

Mike Clapp
LVK

Old August 7th 03, 07:19 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Scott Lowrey wrote:

As a soon-to-be-minted private pilot, what are the experiences of
others concerning instrument training and self-teaching?

Just find a CFII who will sign you off for the written after you self-
study. If your instructor won't do that I'd think about finding another
instructor!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/