faster 182?

Old February 12th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default faster 182?

Got a demo flight in a new Skylane Saturday morning. Very nice airplane.
The G1000 stuff was a bit bewildering at first but otherwise it flew just
like any good 182...

....except for one thing: it trued 147 knots! Non-turbo at 5,500 feet, 10 deg.
C OAT, 135 KIAS. Wow! That is 10 knots faster than my buddy's 1980 model.

The guy who runs the FBO that rents it ($190/hr) says their other Skylane is
just as fast. He said changes Cessna made to the cowl and wheel pants
starting in 2005 make the difference. The bad news is that we were burning
15.5 GPH to get that speed.

Oh, yeah, one other difference I noticed: the view forward is much better
than in older 182s, a combination of new glare shield and seat designs, I
suppose.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old February 12th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:38:32 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

The guy who runs the FBO that rents it ($190/hr) says their other Skylane is
just as fast. He said changes Cessna made to the cowl and wheel pants
starting in 2005 make the difference. The bad news is that we were burning
15.5 GPH to get that speed.

FWIW, I routinely plan 141TAS at 15gph in a 2004 182S.
Old February 12th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 12-Feb-2007, "Dan Luke" wrote:

The bad news is that we were burning
15.5 GPH to get that speed.

My suspicion is that part of the increased cruise speed is the result of
aerodynamic improvements and part is due to higher power setting (maybe
about 85%?), as evidenced by the much higher fuel flow

-Elliott Drucker
Old February 12th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Dan Luke wrote:
The bad news is that we were burning
15.5 GPH to get that speed.

Why the high fuel flow? My 285hp IO-520 book fuel flow is 15.2 at 75%.
Old February 12th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 12, 11:38 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
Got a demo flight in a new Skylane Saturday morning. Very nice airplane.
The G1000 stuff was a bit bewildering at first but otherwise it flew just
like any good 182...

I got a demo ride in the SR22 and Columbia 400 last year. Like you, I
was behind the curve a bit with the Avidyne & G1000 panels (and I fly
an EFIS equipped Pilatus) The capabilities are pretty amazing, once
you read through the (lengthy?) ops manual

The bad news is that we were burning 15.5 GPH to get that speed.

What pwr & mixture setting? EGTs?

Old February 12th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

...it trued 147 knots! Non-turbo at 5,500 feet,
10 deg. C OAT, 135 KIAS. ... The bad news is
that we were burning 15.5 GPH to get that speed.

The '67 182K I fly typically trues a good bit slower (~120), but I get much
better fuel burn. I'm typically burning about 12.5 gph at that altitude.

Lessee... 422nm trip @ 147 knots and 15.5 gph = 2.9 hours and $200 (no wind
and 100LL @ $4.50/gal). Same trip @ 120 kt & 12.5 gph = 3.5 hr and $197.

Three dollars to buy 30 minutes? Tempting deal.

My real question is: What power setting were you guys using? I'm usually in
the 65-70% range during cruise.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old February 12th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Newps" wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:
The bad news is that we were burning
15.5 GPH to get that speed.

Why the high fuel flow? My 285hp IO-520 book fuel flow is 15.2 at 75%.

That's not much difference.

Old February 12th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Kingfish" wrote:

On Feb 12, 11:38 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
Got a demo flight in a new Skylane Saturday morning. Very nice airplane.
The G1000 stuff was a bit bewildering at first but otherwise it flew just
like any good 182...

I got a demo ride in the SR22 and Columbia 400 last year. Like you, I
was behind the curve a bit with the Avidyne & G1000 panels (and I fly
an EFIS equipped Pilatus) The capabilities are pretty amazing, once
you read through the (lengthy?) ops manual

The bad news is that we were burning 15.5 GPH to get that speed.

What pwr & mixture setting? EGTs?

23" & 2300 rpm, IIRC. The mixture was 25 deg. ROP. Didn't check the EGTs.
I wish I'd looked at the CHTs.

Old February 12th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 12, 12:48 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Newps" wrote:
Dan Luke wrote:
The bad news is that we were burning
15.5 GPH to get that speed.

Why the high fuel flow? My 285hp IO-520 book fuel flow is 15.2 at 75%.

That's not much difference.

It is if the new 182s still have only 235 HP.

Dan

Old February 12th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

John T wrote:

Three dollars to buy 30 minutes? Tempting deal.

How much does thirty extra minutes on your tach cost you?

If you make those sorts of trips often it adds up to more
maintenance dollars for ADs, more hours on the airframe when
you sell, parts weraing out quicker and getting closer to TBO.

faster 182? Dan Luke Piloting 26 February 21st 07 03:40 PM
Jeppesen USB Skybound Faster? Marco Leon Owning 9 September 18th 04 03:49 AM
Looking At RAS Faster B. Iten Soaring 10 April 6th 04 10:21 PM
Why small radius collects ice faster? Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 13 March 25th 04 05:38 PM
How much faster w/o slats? [email protected] Home Built 7 February 7th 04 04:47 PM