Weglide.org

Old April 22nd 21, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Weglide.org

This will be perfect if submitting to weglide automatically relays to OLC (with your permission). This is something I was asking for a long time, to have an option to submit to multiple services at the same time.

Ramy

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 10:50:57 AM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/19/2021 1:40 PM, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 14:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Moshe Braner
wrote:

Funny. Now (an hour after I posted the above here) my flight has vanished from OLC. No I don't think I was hallucinating :-)

Think twice.
WeGlide and OLC are two completey different organizations, and there
is definitely no file exchange.

Did you upload your flight with your LX flight computer by any chance?
Since this year (and the appearance of WeGlide as a strong competitor)
OLC has enabled this funktion again.

Cheers
Andreas

I got the file from my Nook that was connected to my FLARM in the
glider. And I uploaded the file manually from a PC to WeGlide only. On
purpose, since I am trying that system out now, and told my clubmates to
look for my flights there and not on OLC. It took another 18 hours or
so to somehow show up on OLC. And it disappeared from OLC shortly after
I mentioned that here, with no action on my part.

Yes they are completely different organizations, that is the point.
WeGlide allows (AFAIK) unlimited downloading of any posted flight logs,
by anybody, without a login. So it is possible for a competing
organization to copy and post the same flight logs.

Old April 26th 21, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 9:13:29 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:
On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 7:28:51 PM UTC+10, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 13:01:54 UTC+3, Andreas Maurer wrote:
I dare to predict that at least in Germany OLC will be redundant after
this summer, and I'd love to see the rest of the World adopt WeGlide,
too.

Why? We are missing the story behind this. OLC has committed some crime against German pilots?

The decentralized competition in Germany (DMS-t) contracted WeGlide this year, instead of the OLC as was tradition. I know two other countries that will also be strongly considering moving their decentralized competitions this year.
Many pilots only upload their flights to be scored in these contests.

Aside from that, I think the disabling of uploads from LX9000 devices lost the OLC a lot of goodwill against the large base of LX device owners too.

LX9000 owners cannot upload to OLC?? Is that just Germany or worldwide? Hopefully the LX8030 I order will be allowed to upload... good grief that's half the point of having it.
Old April 27th 21, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

LX9000 owners cannot upload to OLC?? Is that just Germany or worldwide? Hopefully the LX8030 I order will be allowed to upload... good grief that's half the point of having it.

This was the case for a short while. As of early April, I've been able to upload the flights to OLC directly from the LX9070. You have to click a few checkmarks within the interface to agree to this and that, but it's doable. It's all been sorted out, and you can now upload flights directly to OLC from the unit without having to go to the website from your phone or an internet-connected computer.

Old April 27th 21, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Just curious but how does that work? Does the LX computer have a
built-in cell radio or some other means to get to OLC? Do you need a
separate data plan? Or does it connect to your cell phone to upload the
igc file?

Dan
5J

Old April 27th 21, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

My understanding it's just a WiFi stick in an USB slot on the LX computer. Any
WiFi connected to the internet, whether it's airport provided, hangar with
private WiFi, hotspot on your phone, as long as you know the WiFi ID and
password, you can send files to OLC and other organizations. WiFi also let's it
download files it needs, like Skysight weather.

Eric

On 4/27/2021 2:46 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Just curious but how does that work?Â* Does the LX computer have a built-in cell
radio or some other means to get to OLC?Â* Do you need a separate data plan?Â* Or
does it connect to your cell phone to upload the igc file?

Dan
5J

On 4/27/21 2:03 PM, Piet Barber wrote:

LX9000 owners cannot upload to OLC?? Is that just Germany or worldwide?
Hopefully the LX8030 I order will be allowed to upload... good grief that's
half the point of having it.

This was the case for a short while.Â* As of early April, I've been able to
upload the flights to OLC directly from the LX9070.Â* You have to click a few

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
Old April 28th 21, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Cool, thanks!

Dan
5J

On 4/27/21 4:44 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
My understanding it's just a WiFi stick in an USB slot on the LX
computer. Any WiFi connected to the internet, whether it's airport
provided, hangar with private WiFi, hotspot on your phone, as long as
you know the WiFi ID and password, you can send files to OLC and other
organizations. WiFi also let's it download files it needs, like Skysight
weather.

Eric

On 4/27/2021 2:46 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Just curious but how does that work?Â* Does the LX computer have a
built-in cell radio or some other means to get to OLC?Â* Do you need a
separate data plan?Â* Or does it connect to your cell phone to upload

Old April 29th 21, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

Just curious but how does that work? Does the LX computer have a
built-in cell radio or some other means to get to OLC? Do you need a
separate data plan? Or does it connect to your cell phone to upload the
igc file?

This is the most civilized way to download flights. I have a portable MiFI hotspot that I bring along with me. I tuck it into one of the side pockets and turn on the master switch, power on the LX9070. The system knows the wifi password on the MiFI, connects to the Internet. From there, the LX9070 syncs up with my Google Drive folder that I've set up for the LX9070. It syncs all of the airspace files, all of the turnpoints, finds new firmware to be updated, updates whatever it needs to update. I also have a subscription to SkySight, so it downloads the SkySight images to the LX9070s in the front and back seats. The 9070 has a WiFi antenna plugged into the back of the unit into a USB port.

Once I'm done with the day's flying, I go to the logbook page, select "save" on the flight. It uploads to my Google Drive directory automatically, uploads to weglide, and after asking me a few questions about my copilot, uploads the flight to OLC.

Plugging USB sticks into devices and downloading data files seems so primitive now!
Old April 29th 21, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 12:26:13 PM UTC+10, Piet Barber wrote:
[...]

The real 'killer feature' for me has been automatically downloading competition tasks. Programming your Oudie or phone in the airconditioned climate of the briefing room was fine, but standing in the sunshine and heat of the grid holding a task sheet in the wind to program the task was a pain in the ass. Now I just get in the glider and the task is waiting for me.
Notionally it will upload the task automatically on landing, but I have not found this to work. Usually a contest has an email you can send your flights to, so I can add that email and send it from the device with only a few button clicks, usually before I even open the canopy on landing.
Old May 3rd 21, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

I've been browsing weglide and posting some old flights there. After few weeks of learning to use it, here is my first impression. The user interface is a text book example how to do pretty (hmmm) layoyt that is absolute nightmare to use. When checking daily scores from my country, first you write your country name to search box (instead of clicking link). Ok. Just copy the name right away to clipboard, you will be writing it all the time. Flights appear. Ok but they are from several dates. Check the date. Wait what, where is the current day -link? Ok, right corner has this list -link that LOGICALLY displays also calendar. Well this make things easier, I'm glad it took only week to find it. What is this calendar looking icon with blue dots? Ok it's actually a dynamic calendar. Lets click there? Aha you need to know that last day is right and down blue dot in calendar, sure. What about yesterday? Is it left side dot? No it is the upper dot. Why? Well why wouldn't you want to click some random dots on calendar instead of click next day or previous day links. OLC, no need to worry.