Collings Foundation Bombers

Old October 17th 05, 08:28 PM
Dale

Default Collings Foundation Bombers

In article ,
Jon A wrote:

Okay, while I check these FAR #'s, how close do you think one needs to
fly in order to be in "formation"? 36", 9 ft., 15 ft.? 1000 ft.?

Well, a formation can have thousands of feet seperating the
aircraft...depends on what you're doing.

I know of two aircraft that were on parallel approaches and each pilot
was violated for formation flight with passengers onboard. As it turned
out after many dollars being spent, and much time it all went away.

My definition doesn't matter...the FAA is the one you have to worry
about. G

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old October 18th 05, 09:22 AM
Scott Skylane

Dale wrote:

/snip/
I know of two aircraft that were on parallel approaches and each pilot
was violated for formation flight with passengers onboard. As it turned
out after many dollars being spent, and much time it all went away.

/snip/

Just curious, Dale. Did that happen here (ANC)?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old October 18th 05, 01:34 PM
Stubby

Bob Moore wrote:
Dale wrote

While there was no reason for the guy to be snippy with you there are
a lot of folks who slide up and fly formation with the bombers without
talking to us before which raises a couple of issues. It is a
violation to fly formation with paying passengers, it is a violation
to conduct a formation flight without a pre-formation brief, and it's
not comfortable or safe to have every tom, dick and harry that thinks
he's a formation pilot coming up on your wing.

How close do I have to be to be "flying in formation"?
Yeah, I know.....FAA lawyers.

Our language seems inadequate. During a glider tow you are flying in
formation. So if you are getting instruction in the glider and the tow
plane has a passenger, it must be illegal.
Old October 18th 05, 06:25 PM
Dale

In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

Dale wrote:

/snip/
I know of two aircraft that were on parallel approaches and each pilot
was violated for formation flight with passengers onboard. As it turned
out after many dollars being spent, and much time it all went away.

/snip/

Just curious, Dale. Did that happen here (ANC)?

No. It was back east, involved the B-24 and a Northwest 747. It was
the 747 Captains last flight (and he also flies the B-17 and B-24), they
worked it out with approach to get the -24 and the the 74- on final at
the same time. Minneapolis-St Paul maybe...not sure.

Old October 18th 05, 06:26 PM
Dale

In article ,
Stubby wrote:

Our language seems inadequate. During a glider tow you are flying in
formation. So if you are getting instruction in the glider and the tow
plane has a passenger, it must be illegal.

hehe I hadn't thought of that one. I fly skydivers. We fly in
formation all the time with other jump aircraft and have people on board
paying to make the skydive. FAA decided they're not passengers since
they are getting out, or something like that.

Old October 18th 05, 08:08 PM

Stubby wrote:
Bob Moore wrote:
Dale wrote

While there was no reason for the guy to be snippy with you there are
a lot of folks who slide up and fly formation with the bombers without
talking to us before which raises a couple of issues. It is a
violation to fly formation with paying passengers, it is a violation
to conduct a formation flight without a pre-formation brief, and it's
not comfortable or safe to have every tom, dick and harry that thinks
he's a formation pilot coming up on your wing.

How close do I have to be to be "flying in formation"?
Yeah, I know.....FAA lawyers.

Our language seems inadequate. During a glider tow you are flying in
formation. So if you are getting instruction in the glider and the tow
plane has a passenger, it must be illegal.

Gee, not if it is a club operation (not a commercial operation).

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old October 18th 05, 08:09 PM

Jon A wrote:
Okay, while I check these FAR #'s, how close do you think one needs to
fly in order to be in "formation"? 36", 9 ft., 15 ft.? 1000 ft.?

Air Force definition: "same course, same day".

Old October 18th 05, 08:32 PM
Al

SFO has parallel runways a couple of hundred feet apart. I've flown just off
the wing of several airliners into the Right, while they used the Left.
Al

"Jon A" wrote in message
Okay, while I check these FAR #'s, how close do you think one needs to
fly in order to be in "formation"? 36", 9 ft., 15 ft.? 1000 ft.?

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:48:43 -0800, Dale wrote:

In article ,
Frank Stutzman wrote:

Having done some minor bit of formation work, I will certainly agree
with
you that an unplanned formation is way comfortable (heck, I find a
PLANNED formation a little unconfortable). However, I am unaware of any
FARs covering your other statements. Can you refer me to the
appropriate
ones?

91.111 (b) No person may operate an aircraft in formation flight except
by arrangment with the pilot in command of each aircraft in the
formation.

91.111 (c) No person may operate an aircraft, carrying passengers for
hire, in formation flight.

Old October 19th 05, 03:20 AM
Daniel Roesen

* Al :
SFO has parallel runways a couple of hundred feet apart. I've flown just off
the wing of several airliners into the Right, while they used the Left.

I guess you mean the ILS PRM approach for 28L/R?

Regards,
Daniel