Logging time on a PCATD

Old December 18th 04, 03:17 PM

Default Logging time on a PCATD

I have an instrument rating and just took a instrument simulator at a
local community college where I flew about 25 hours of time on an Elite
PCATD. I was not 'IFR current' prior to taking the class. Can I use
this time to become current again?

The instructor didn't think that the time was 'loggable'. I think he
was getting confused with the difference between the type of simulators
we were flying (which are PC-based, but have separate controls for the
yoke/rudders/throttle/mixture/prop and radios) and also the rules about
how much time can be logged on a simulator and for what purpose. The
last time I took this class about 6 years ago I didn't bother to log
the time and we were using the old analog ATC 510 simulators. The
instructor seemed to think that the time would have been loggable on
those old simulators, but not the PC-based sims for some reason. To
his credit, he's a great instructor, but is new to teaching on
simulators and the rules surrounding sim time logging are complicated,
to say the least.
Anyone know the scoop about logging sim time?

Thanks,

Lee Devlin

Old December 18th 04, 04:21 PM
Brad Zeigler

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an instrument rating and just took a instrument simulator at a
local community college where I flew about 25 hours of time on an Elite
PCATD. I was not 'IFR current' prior to taking the class. Can I use
this time to become current again?

No

The instructor didn't think that the time was 'loggable'. I think he
was getting confused with the difference between the type of simulators
we were flying (which are PC-based, but have separate controls for the
yoke/rudders/throttle/mixture/prop and radios) and also the rules about
how much time can be logged on a simulator and for what purpose. The
last time I took this class about 6 years ago I didn't bother to log
the time and we were using the old analog ATC 510 simulators. The
instructor seemed to think that the time would have been loggable on
those old simulators, but not the PC-based sims for some reason. To
his credit, he's a great instructor, but is new to teaching on
simulators and the rules surrounding sim time logging are complicated,
to say the least.
Anyone know the scoop about logging sim time?

http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/afs800/docs/pt61FAQ.doc

Use of a PCATD:

(a) Must be used in connection with an integrated ground and flight
instrument training curriculum. This means, after the procedure rehearsal
using the PCATD, the curriculum calls for motor skill rehearsal in an
aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.

(b) May be used to provide a MAXIMUM of 10 hours of instrument training
that may be creditable toward an Instrument Rating in the appropriate
category and class of aircraft, provided the PCATD is representative of that
category and class of aircraft.

(c) May be used for training, provided the training in the PCATD was given
by an authorized instructor [i.e., § 61.1(b)(2)].

(d) May be used for instrument training, provided the training given
consists of the procedural maneuvers listed in Appendix 1 of AC 61-126.

(e) May be used under Part 61, and the curriculum used need not be approved
by FAA , but it must meet the scope and content of a curriculum as if it
were approved by FAA.

(f) May be used under Part 141, but the curriculum must be structured to
incorporate the PCATD and used in a curriculum that has been approved by FAA

QUESTION: How should aeronautical experience gained in a PCATD be logged in
a pilot's logbook and/or training record?

ANSWER: Ref. AC 61-126; To be creditable under Parts 61 or 141, aeronautical
experience gained in an approved and qualified PCATD may not exceed 10 hour
of instrument training and should be logged as "Simulated Instrument Time,"
and "Training Time Received" in a PCATD. It shall NOT be logged as flight
time. Again, note that the FAA has not authorized the use of PCATD's for
conducting practical tests nor for accomplishing recency of experience
requirements.
{Q&A-269}

Old December 18th 04, 05:25 PM
Mitty

Again, note that the FAA has not authorized the use of PCATD's for
... for accomplishing recency of experience
requirements.

I think that document is a little out of date.

Fred Zanegood ) has been very generous in answering my
questions in this general area.