Navy F-35 - offline for a month

Old February 22nd 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
mike

Default Navy F-35 - offline for a month

Inside the Navy - 2/22/2010
Navy doesnıt expect schedule delay
Official: Navy JSF Variant To Go Offline For A Month For Design Fixes
The Navyıs F-35 Joint Strike Fighter carrier variant will be taken
offline "for about a month" to put design fixes in after problems with
load transfers during launch were discovered last year, but it will
not delay the aircraft's schedule, according to Capt. Lawrence Burt,
commander of Carrier
Air Wing Two. Lockheed has been fixing a structural weakness in the
variant that limits
the aircraftıs launching ability since the problem was discovered in
July. Burt told attendees at a conference in Washington February 18
that the Navy has settled on a fix that will not delay the aircraft
reaching initial operational capability in 2014. "It was just the way
the load transfers from the launch,² he said. "Theyıve got a fix for
it. Right now, theyıre trying to figure out the plan on modding whatıs
already in the production line -- the SDD [system development and
demonstration] articles that are going through production."Right now,
the Navy is not concerned," he added. "The fix looks very doable, and
I think itıll take the aircraft offline for about a month to put the
mod in." Burt said that this type of problem "is not unusual when
youıre at this stage of the development in an aircraft." "Theyıve only
got one CV variant thatıs through the production line at this point,
so thereıs going to be lots of discovery as they go through test on
things that have to get fixed," he said. The first CV variant test
aircraft, CF-1, is scheduled to begin test flights in the spring. The
JSF program has been pressured to start accumulating test data from
all three variants as Congress becomes increasingly concerned about
the cost increases and delays that have been rampant in the program.
Old February 25th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
J[_2_]

On Feb 22, 10:47*am, Mike wrote:
Inside the Navy - 2/22/2010
Navy doesnıt expect schedule delay
Official: Navy JSF Variant To Go Offline For A Month For Design Fixes
The Navyıs F-35 Joint Strike Fighter carrier variant will be taken
offline "for about a month" to put design fixes in after problems with
load transfers during launch were discovered last year, but it will

For us ignorant civilians who subscribe to SMN, what does "problems
with
load transfers during launch" mean?

Thanks . . . J

Old February 25th 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
hcobb

On Feb 24, 7:38*pm, J wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:47*am, Mike wrote:

Inside the Navy - 2/22/2010
Navy doesnıt expect schedule delay
Official: Navy JSF Variant To Go Offline For A Month For Design Fixes
The Navyıs F-35 Joint Strike Fighter carrier variant will be taken
offline "for about a month" to put design fixes in after problems with
load transfers during launch were discovered last year, but it will

For us ignorant civilians who subscribe to SMN, what does "problems
with
load transfers during launch" mean?

Thanks . . . J

Navy fighters tend to launch very fast with partially full fuel tanks.

Slosh - Slosh - Slosh - Tip over...

-HJC
Old February 25th 10, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
J[_2_]

On Feb 24, 10:53*pm, hcobb wrote:

Navy fighters tend to launch very fast with partially full fuel tanks.

Slosh - Slosh - Slosh - Tip over...

Ah, now I understand. I appreciate the time and effort.

Thanks . . . J

Old February 25th 10, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
BlackBeard

On Feb 24, 8:47*pm, J wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:53*pm, hcobb wrote:

Navy fighters tend to launch very fast with partially full fuel tanks.

Slosh - Slosh - Slosh - Tip over...

Ah, now I understand. I appreciate the time and effort.

Thanks . . . J

Please ignore the answer. They normally launch full-up on the tanks.
Anything less and the tanks collect humidity and eventually water
fouls the fuel. When the jets land, one of the first things is to top
off the tanks.

BB
Old February 25th 10, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

"J" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 10:53 pm, hcobb wrote:

Navy fighters tend to launch very fast with partially full fuel tanks.

Slosh - Slosh - Slosh - Tip over...

Ah, now I understand. I appreciate the time and effort.

Thanks . . . J

A word to the wise. Cobb has an infallible ability to get everything WRONG

In this case the problem referred to is the transfer of mechanical loads
exerted on the airframe during a catapult launch.

By Tony Capaccio

Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Lockheed Martin Corp. is fixing a structural weakness
in the Navy version of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter that limits the jet's
ability to launch from aircraft carriers, according to a company spokesman.

Engineers in July discovered a "strength shortfall" in an aluminum structure
in the aircraft's center fuselage that helps absorb stresses during a
catapult takeoff, Lockheed spokesman John Kent said today in an e-mailed
statement.

Keith

Old February 25th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dan[_12_]

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"J" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 10:53 pm, hcobb wrote:

Navy fighters tend to launch very fast with partially full fuel tanks.

Slosh - Slosh - Slosh - Tip over...

Ah, now I understand. I appreciate the time and effort.

Thanks . . . J

A word to the wise. Cobb has an infallible ability to get everything WRONG

Infallibility implies perfection and only God is perfect.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 26th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jim Wilkins

On Feb 25, 5:42*pm, Ed Rasimus wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:29:00 -0600, Dan wrote:
Keith Willshaw wrote:
"J" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 10:53 pm, hcobb wrote:

A word to the wise. Cobb has an infallible ability to get everything WRONG

* Infallibility implies perfection and only God is perfect.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I think you might have just stumbled on an insight into who Cobb
REALLY is!
Ed Rasimus

The Black Smoke creature (Lockeness Monster) from Lost, who hates and
misleads everyone?
Old February 26th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Peter Stickney[_2_]

BlackBeard wrote:

On Feb 24, 8:47 pm, J wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:53 pm, hcobb wrote:

Navy fighters tend to launch very fast with partially full fuel tanks.

Slosh - Slosh - Slosh - Tip over...

Ah, now I understand. I appreciate the time and effort.

Thanks . . . J

Please ignore the answer. They normally launch full-up on the tanks.
Anything less and the tanks collect humidity and eventually water
fouls the fuel. When the jets land, one of the first things is to top
off the tanks.

In this context, Load Transfer is generally the shift in the balance of
forces (on things like landing gear, various structural members, etc.)
as the airplane is yanked along by the catapult or snagged by the arresting
wires. Although we're pretty good about modeling these things these days,
that doesn't mean that reality doesn't intrude - leading to the need to fix
up the airframe to keep it from getting bent.

--
Pete Stickney
Failure is not an option.
Old February 26th 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ian B MacLure

Jim Wilkins wrote in
:

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"J" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 10:53 pm, hcobb wrote:

A word to the wise. Cobb has an infallible ability to get
everything W

RONG

* Infallibility implies perfection and only God is perfect.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I think you might have just stumbled on an insight into who Cobb
REALLY is!
Ed Rasimus

The Black Smoke creature (Lockeness Monster) from Lost, who hates and
misleads everyone?

Are you saying that Cobb is in fact the "Wee Man" hisself?

IBM